Which was The Better Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Caine: I want your motherfukkin' Daytons and your motherfukkin' stereo. And I'll take a double burger with cheese.
Car-jack Victim: What?
Caine: Motherfukker, order my motherfukkin' food!
Voice of fast food employee: Hi, may I take your order, please?
Car-jack Victim: Yeah, uh, let me have a double burger, uh, some fries...
Caine: Motherfukker, I said with cheese, nikka!
Car-jack Victim: shyt! (Speaking into microphone) Yo, uh, make that a double burger with cheese.
Caine: See, y'all would've made me shoot your stupid ass over nothing.
Car-jack Victim: Hey, come on, man, we supposed to be brothers.
Caine: Oh what, you trying to get smart?

:done:

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
Ice cube giving us a gem at the end of boyz in the hood was the most powerful moment between the two. Ricky and caine getting lit up cancel each other out. Boyz n the hood was the best overall

i remember John Singleton said that they was supposed to be a dialogue between Doughboy and Furious before the Ferris situation. Homie shouldve use that scene

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Easy decision for me, Menace...

Mainly because it has stood the test of time a lot better than Boyz in the Hood. Like others have stated Boyz in the Hood comes across kind of cheesy, and most of that can be attributed to Cuba Gooding Jr.

Daps
so I guess we can all agree Cuba goodings corny self turned that movie into one big corny PSA. Not to mention looking at the pic posted earlier in this thread he looks like the younger sibling of :flabbynsick:

Bumrush Bros.

THERES ONLY ENOUGH ROOM FOR 1 LIL MAMA STAN HERE
Daps
Reppin
Reston VA
Boyz is good but Menace is the GOAT
The graduation party where they introduce his boy stacy. You can see exactly what he's saying cause they zoom in on his face and he's talking to girls around a table
Stacy: "Im gonna fukk you, you, aaaaand you. wit yo fine ass" :steviej: next time that scene comes on say the words out loud and watch everyone in the room crack up :russ:

LevelUp

Don't Like My Threads, Blow The Whistle
Daps
up. i got to say menace though.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Menace = More realistic, people can relate to it more.

Boyz = better film from a technical point of view tells the story better

its a push to me, sometimes you gotta be 'Caine and sometimes you gotta be Tre'

Ice Water

Nothing
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Menace was organic, and entertaining movie. Mad classic lines, and scenes. Ice cube, and Lawrence Fishburn carrie Boyz in da hood. Cuba was a cornball in it then, and as the years passed, his corniness is on a hunnid.

Cats is recreating Menace on GTA V lol. Dudes got too much time on they hands lol...funny none the less.

Ultimate Warrior

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Menace = More realistic, people can relate to it more.

Boyz = better film from a technical point of view tells the story better

its a push to me, sometimes you gotta be 'Caine and sometimes you gotta be Tre'

***snorts 8483seconds***

Both were realistic and people could relate to both

Menace= Caine knew better, had 6 people that tried to get him to grow up, his grandparents, stacey, sharif, ronnie and mr butler, he chose to do his own shyt, and when he decided to change he had already got caught up in a robbery and stomped the wrong nikka. He was basically a stereotype.

Boyz= Trey, both parents were hardworking, them being seperated didnt stop them from raisin him right, he got away with a lil more stuff with Furious, but at the sametime Furious, put a lil bit of knowledge in him early, the whole africa/crenshaw mafia argument, Trey homeboys Lil Chris,Dough and Ricky knew Furious didnt play that shyt, and later Dookie and Monster knew as well, they never pressured him to do shyt, Trey in a way when he took Rick to visit his pops, knew his dad was finna give em a speech or school em, because every convo Trey and Furious had in the movie made him think about consequences , even the messages Brandi mom was sendin over the phone was a low key lesson, because Trey was like "wait, if my daddy marries your mom, we will have to do the incest thang", lesson was learned will quick.

The Rick and Dough sibling beef is shyt that still goes on today, the mom was the cause of it, remember when Trey went to their house for the first time, she was cussin Dough out, tellin him how he wasnt about,amount or be shyt, Ricky comes out Trey ask em why he carrys the football, Ricky says thats what he's gonna do, and she responded proudly thats right, then slightly mean mugged Dough. Dough stood up for his brother more than once, had the football never returned Dough would've been the blame, so he made sure he got it back and when Ferris ran into Rick, Dough handled it. Rick started the fight with Dough over the cornmeal, she comes out slap Dough, she also blamed him for gettin shot.

I know people who are like and were like everybody in both movies, from Pernell in Menace to rick and dough's mom

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I cant relate to both movies. that haircutting scene reminds me of some stuff my father would tell me. got to go with Boyz In The Hood.

i think Menace is low-key a funny ass film.

this....both great films but Menace got quotables for days.

Caine: Then why your tropical ass sittin' on the goddamn cooler?

Sharif: To keep you fools from drinking this poison. That's why.

Caine: Man, you better get your salaikum salaam ass up off this box and pass me a motherfukkin' brew.

and MANY, MANY more.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
uppin

both were message movies. and those movies usually suffer from being didactic and obvious. but the stories are so powerful that both transcend the topics at hand. i cry whenever both films end. ima go with menace as being better just cause its more raw. i love boyz as well, ice cube just owns that movie. and there is a lot more pathos to it. but the relationship between jada and caine really is powerful. jada killed it in that role in a way nia long didnt in boyz.

i still feel juice is superior to both cause it wasnt about being didactic, it was a thriller set in hip hop with hip hop music and the atmosphere of the music as a supporting character.

so i guess i go with
1) juice
2) menace
3) boyz

all films are 5 mics to me though. early 90's was a golden era brehs. add the house party movies, boomerang, and other hood classics and that was a singular moment in black film, we get the odd film now and again but back then was a movement it seems. we have one now but its focuse too much on history topics. i loved 12 years and selma but we need more films with black people that aint about such heavy black history month topics. i think if we had films like menace and boyz now black public intellectuals will call foul on some "there is more to black life than hood shyt" . i dont think anyone really want to see those movies anymore. which is too bad cause those movies were as big to me as my favorites albums of the time like all eyez on me and the predator etc.

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
Boyz N The Hood packed a lot of social issues into it and didn't bog down the film, Menace seemed to glamorize California violence and criminal culture.