Mortal Kombat(1995): An Oral History

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Kasanoff:
When we tested the first cut of the movie, the audience response was 100 percent uniform. "We love everything we see. There are not enough fights in this movie." We went back and spent a lot more money and we shot more fights.
Makes me wonder what the first cut of the film looked like. No Johnny Cage/Scorpion or Lui Kang/Reptile? :dame:

Last edited:

Seven1986

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Illinois
Announcer: :demonic: "Reptile"

*jump kicks Liu Kang through a brick wall*

I still remember the movie theater going nuts during this fight......

Announcer: Reptile

Theater
200x200px-ZC-564c440b_black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Liu Kang hits the Bicycle Kick

Theater:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
Theater erupted at that. The days when there were legitimate surprises in movies

:snoop: I remember making the unfortunate mistake of watching one of those 'the making of' tv specials for this right before the movie came out. They showed that exact scene. Everybody in the theater was hyped but me cause I knew it was coming. Ever since then I don't even watch those cause I knew so much about the movie by the time I got there I wasn't even excited.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
What are you punishing yourself for?
It's actually astonishing how bad that movie is in comparison to the 1st. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it....I wanna see what Robin Shou has to say about that one
:mjlol: memories from my childhood. I feel ya though bro.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I still remember the movie theater going nuts during this fight......

Announcer: Reptile

Theater
200x200px-ZC-564c440b_black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Liu Kang his the Bicycle Kick

Theater:
giphy.gif

reptile went hard as fukk...but he was bodied in spectacular fashion..i remember the theater went ham too at that part

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
One of my favorite childhood movies....:obama:

Campy as it is...this movie is wonderful. Great settings, locations, and imagery. Cool characters (Both heroes and villains). The plot is simple but effective. Great music. The effects aren't great but because there wasn't too much CG, it mostly holds up. Perfectly cast. They ham it up just enough without being too overboard. Classic lines "Your brother's soul is MINE! YOU WILL BE NEXT!"

And most of all...this works as a legitimately great Martial Arts movie.

MEMORABLE and UNIQUE fight scenes. While they all obviously rely on Martial Arts...they actually vary in regards to rules, character-motivations, style, tone setting, etc.

Liu Kang's first fight is just a regular contest between two regular men, he doesn't even know the guy. It's really more about Shang Tsung feeling him out. Good appetizer.

Side note : I'm still mad that they jobbed out Hakim The Machine. Anyone who used to watch WMAC Masters feels me.

This is the first time they have to really work together....and they're successful. Raiden shows up at the end and earns a bit of trust as well. Basically just a good bonding scene.

Sonya/Kano...two regulars again, but this time it has the added tension of Kano having killed her partner. Kano's whimsical, cocky style was a good contrast to Sonya's practical and economical approach. And I love how Shang Tsung gets his Emperor Palpatine on by telling Sonya to 'finish him', and Sonya shows that she's damn ruthless in her own right by obliging.

My only issue with this scene is the placement...they pretty much ended Sonya's arc in the beginning of the second act of the movie. They should have saved her and Kano until the end. She barely did anything after this aside from getting kidnapped....:laugh:

Johnny Cage has this strange, almost surreal fight with Scorpion, which is the first time we see a regular besting a supe through cunning, skill, and luck. It goes from this beautiful forest setting, to Scorpion's dark lair. Very well done, and this was always my favorite as a kid. Visually, this is the best fight in the movie.

We get the intellectual battle between Liu Kang and Kitana, neither is trying to really hurt the other, she is teaching and he is learning. Scene has loads of sexual tension, and I was always intrigued by Shang Tsung breaking up the fight at the end.

Liu Kang takes the lesson that he gets from Kitana, and uses it to beat Sub-Zero.

As a kid...I didn't like how this went down. Sub-Zero has always been a very popular character, and although he did get to show his stuff earlier in the movie (He freezes that ninja), this always felt like a lackluster way to showcase a fan-favorite. In retrospect though...I kinda respect what they did with this. Like I said, it was more about Liu actually learning something from Kitana. It was a continuation of their intellectual/spiritual battle from earlier. It's also a very atmospheric scene, with good use of lighting and fog. And the actual fighting was fast and competitive.

So at this point....it was actually looking good for the kombatants. Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Kano knocked out, Kitana clearly guiding Liu Kang, Raiden being watchful. shyt was :ehh:

Then Goro enters the tourny like :shaq:

After yet another black man jobs (:mjpls:), Johnny Cage goes against Raiden's wishes and challenges Goro. I can't find the scene, but it is actually one of the better character focused moments in the movie. Raiden tells him he's not ready, Cage tells him to fukk off and challenges Goro anyways. Raiden secretly approves.

The fight itself was clever and funny. And of course it has a couple classic Cage lines. What I find most impressive is that, even though this movie mostly relied on actors having to actually have choreographed fight scenes with one-another...right at the end of the second act they have this bizarre creature fight that likely had to be approached in a completely different manner from everything else in the film (Animatronics, puppeteering). And it works.

As others have stated in the thread...when that announcer said "REPTILE!" it was :blessed: This fight actually doesn't have much in the way of character growth or effect on the plot (To be fair, neither does Cage/Scorpion), but it was definitely necessary to have Reptile in this movie and they paid fan-service in a fun way. It's also one of the better choreographed fights imo. Reptile was gettin' in that mouf for a minute....:leon:

I really like how they did this. Having Liu Kang fight some of the Shang Tsung souls was a nice twist, was foreshadowed earlier in the movie, and ALSO makes canonical sense considering what his powers in the videogame are.

And I didn't even mention a few of the action scenes. The film starts out with Shang Tsung easily beating Liu Kang's brother. We then get a short gun-fight scene in the club with Sonya and Jax. Johnny Cage had his fight on the movie set. Raiden wrecked Scorpion and Sub-Zero....Sub-Zero sqaushed that jobber....they went HAM with the action in this.

Lastly, I ask TFR to name five movies off of this list that are better than Mortal Kombat : List of films based on video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, for me, only Silent Hill 1 takes the cake....:manny:

There still hasn't been many good ones. I think that if Assassins Creed and Fassbender are successful, we'll see tons of these coming out and being taken seriously.

that didnt age well..the only highlight of that movie was jax

I actually re-watched Annihilation last year around Thanksgiving (I had to do some heavy cleaning, and wanted something silly and unoffensive on in the background, so while I didn't sit down and view it, I caught most of it). It's really bad, and Jax is c00nIN' IT UP throughout the movie....:russ:

Although, I have to admit. If this movie has a memorable scene, it's him and Sonya versus Cyrax :