“Most Americans Check Out When They Hit 25-27” Facts or Nah?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I'd say this is the age most people realize that whatever childhood/adolescent "dreams" they had won't come into fruition. Some adapt immediately and others struggle for a while or sometimes for the remainder.

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Sorry but I'm in my mid 30s now and I'm hella ambitious, more now than I was in my 20s. People love projecting their lives onto others when they ain't got nothing going for themselves.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
"The Game" = Life perhaps?

In the context of what OP's asking...the various hamster-wheel distractions of clubbing, stunting trips, intoxicants, sleeping around, etc.

Problem being, you're in a hole if you're "getting serious" about life at ~25, and others have been serious since 18.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Yes and no.

Your dream of being POTUS, director of the CIA, NFL QB, neurosurgeon etc., dreams you had as a 10-year old? Yeah most folks give that up by 25.

Being the best at your career and moving up the corporate ladder? That doesn't go away for awhile.

THEN......you have to decide if you want to be a people manager....middle management. In order to get to the top, you will have to navigate those waters.

What's better: low/medium stress and making $110k/year OR high stress making $160k/yr as a middle manager dealing with annoying VPs and trying to handle 20 different employees that report to you? What good is the extra money and additional PTO if you can't use it?

The higher you go as an individual contributor (associate, advanced, senior to consultant), the more you see how the managerial grind isn't always worth it. Seen it up close with previous bosses. Staying late until 6 or 7pm, glued to their computer and have 2,000 unread emails in their inbox. Shyt ages you fast.

People DO NOT lose ambition. What they GAIN is perspective. Once you get to a certain level financially, quality of life matters more. That level of money is dependent on each person and their circumstances. In general if you have low debt, can save lots of $$$, max out your 401(k), buy random shyt off Amazon without thinking about it and travel when you want and aren't overly stressed at work....whatever that salary is.....you'll want to stay there.

I see older coworkers buying new homes, traveling wherever and just living comfortably. They have all the aptitude needed to be a great people leader but the extra $30k to $50k isn't worth the tradeoffs.

100% facts. It's perspective.

I still remember what this staff member told me 16-17 years ago when i was still in uni working a campus job; told me to be exploratory and ambitious in whatever i want to do, even if i change it up a few times, but that 35 is roughly the age I'll want to be settled in.

I didn't give it much thought at the time but I get it now. I think for many of us who fell short of our hoop/POTUS dreams but still managed to level-up, 35-40 is when perspective really hits. That well paying, low/medium stress job that avails you time for family, self, hobbies, travel, etc. You cherish that.

And even then, your ambition may still manifest into side ventures (stocks, properties, authoring, etc).

Koli_Kat

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sorry but I'm in my mid 30s now and I'm hella ambitious, more now than I was in my 20s. People love projecting their lives onto others when they ain't got nothing going for themselves.
I've started two businesses this year already. 30's are low key the goat time to become even more successful.

More than likely you are already well established in your 9 to 5, so you can fall back on that a focus on personal ventures.