My African Brehs Do Y’all Send Money Back Home?

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
my girl is from Ghana. Her parents spend months in our house when they visit once a year.

She has 3 brothers who aren’t worth a damn.

I know it’s her money and she can do whatever she likes with it but, it’s come to the point where she’s expected to send money back home every check.

Even though I love her folks, I love my girl and I see it as her parents taking advantage of her. She views it as a badge of honor to be able to take care of them because of the sacrifices they made for her and her brothers growing up.

Do y’all send money back home? Is this customary?

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
my girl is from Ghana. Her parents spend months in our house when they visit once a year.

She has 3 brothers who aren’t worth a damn.

I know it’s her money and she can do whatever she likes with it but, it’s come to the point where she’s expected to send money back home every check.

Even though I love her folks, I love my girl and I see it as her parents taking advantage of her. She views it as a badge of honor to be able to take care of them because of the sacrifices they made for her and her brothers growing up.

Do y’all send money back home? Is this customary?
Yes, almost every immigrant family does this
my friends from DR and PR do it, My east africans do it, shyt my best whose Guatemalan be sending money to his grandfolks. its bound to happen

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Yes.
School fees, arrangements for somebody who died, somebody is sick, etc.

Crazy you mentioned someone who died. Her father had an aunt that passed (110 yrs old ). He went and traveled to meet with the family to have a week of mourning or something :yeshrug:. Guess who had to pay for it:stopitslime:. They look at her like an ATM and she will eat pb&j for a whole week with a smile on her face if she has too.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
No. I'm American bred. Outside of my parents I dont really have a connection to my fam back in the motherland. When my parents die that's probably going to vanish completely tbh. I'm not sending money to people I've met once or twice in my life and barely even know at all:yeshrug:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
All immigrants do..

A single dollar is a huge amount back home, and goes a lot further.
Most people do it out of love and having a strong obligation for family etc.
If you ever met an African immigrant that doesnt send money home..he is probably mentally disturbed.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
It's the whole reason they come to the states. To make money and help their families!

But if she's sending it to family members who ain't shyt, lazy, spending money to party/vacation, then that's a different problem.

Like someone else said, if she's helping with medical, food, education etc to better themselves, then that's normal.

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
@Dad where you stay at? My lady just told me her girl just went to Ghana visiting family she's there now.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad