My African Brehs Do Y’all Send Money Back Home?

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How much do you send back if you don’t mind me asking?

Whatever my dad asks for. Could be a hundred here, a fifty there, or whatever. It's usually need based. I'd send more if I could but a brother is struggling.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:jbhmm:
Logo-Institut-africain.jpeg

GDW2016-BANNER%20-%20Copie.png

largepreview.png

remittanceq.png

1359536145remittances.jpg

000a%20Remittance-023%20Africa.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-03-19-at-9.19.58-AM.png

258-Africa-remittances-graphic_1200.png

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
That's how it works :manny:

But now if your girlfriend ever is in trouble she'll always have a solid family network ready to help her as much as they can, just like she did.

That's the circle of life in many African cultures. Parents carry you when you couldn't walk, you grow strong, and carry them when they become old :wow:

Nikki_04

All Star
Daps
I don't see the problem, OP.

It's not very different than people in the US who are successful, but come from humble beginnings. You may pay a bill for your parent, or help a sibling out when in need. I know a lot of people who help their parents out financially if they are able.

I pay my mom's phone bill and give her money whenever she needs it. Do the same for my dad.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Should have wifed an Ados.....yes indeed family...:lolbron:

All jokes aside some of my african homies are expected to send loot home. But on the real this just ain't an african thing its also a immigrant thing.....and also a rural american thing

Even with some rural american folks the expectation is that the one who makes it is expected to send some money home to help family out from time to time.

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
That's the story of immigration, everywhere and anywhere basically. Including internal immigration. Vast majority of people migrate in search of better economic opportunities, and remember those still at home. Hell, often times it's a lot of people at home who helped for the plane ticket or whatever. Me my situation is kind of different, immediate fam is here in Europe and Canada and never was really close to cousins etc for a variety of reasons. I usually send money via my father when he goes back. Except my little nephew but he's in France now so sending him cash every now and then but no longer "back home".

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Crazy you mentioned someone who died. Her father had an aunt that passed (110 yrs old ). He went and traveled to meet with the family to have a week of mourning or something :yeshrug:. Guess who had to pay for it:stopitslime:. They look at her like an ATM and she will eat pb&j for a whole week with a smile on her face if she has too.
Its customary for kids to send money home to family, but having them pay every check is a bit much. The parents should also have a retirement and some form of income.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Check this out OP I never really knew how big this was until I camed to dallas one time while in college.

I came to dallas to kick it with my wife's brother who lived out here. One day I went to this shoping area with him and there was a line outside of money gram. The line had to be like 50 people deep.

I asked him what was going on and he said man thats them mexicans cashing they checks and sending money home.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Check this out OP I never really knew how big this was until I camed to dallas one time while in college.

I came to dallas to kick it with my wife's brother who lived out here. One day I went to this shoping area with him and there was a line outside of money gram. The line had to be like 50 people deep.

I asked him what was going on and he said man thats them mexicans cashing they checks and sending money home.

Damn the whole check?!?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
My family in Nigeria is pretty well off so there isn’t need to send cash per se. I’ll chip in for general family “fundraising”/donations.

My cousin sometimes asks me for some cash here and there. We’re the same age and he’s an all-around huslter. He’s really heavy into the music/event/party promotion scene down there and he’s been making a name for himself. But every now and then things get tight for him so I’ll throw him $20-$30 every now and then. Nothing crazy.

However, I will send home harder to source goods (certain medications, niche items, etc) from the US back to Nigeria.

Christmas is an obvious time where I’ll usually get a lot gifts for people. Again, they’re well off, but the American market just has way more options. Last christmas I got my little cousins some Vans for like $40 a piece.

I value my family as they got me to where I am now so I have to pay it forward :manny:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Damn the whole check?!?

Naw I think they were cashing the check and sending some of the money home.

Another thing I saw how they get that money wired to them when I first started ti work in mexico. So many folks in mexico who I worked with where getting money from family in america.