No-Limit Master P (5 part Docuseries) Wednesday 9pm EST on BET

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I also think that was a made up thing wen master p said suge said “l.a ain’t big enough for both of us “ n p sayin wen you leaving ... .... I laugh how everyone says no limit would wash deathrow .... no doubt no limit had goons ... wen no limit was popping deathrow was on its way down , suge in jail , deathrow piru wars were going off around this time they had goons there just not like 95/96 .....p was and has never been as powerful as suge was as far as in the mid 90s ........ Reggie is right tho ... master p and snoop tell ducktales ....
:Dead:
Fam come on now, this is just hating

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
@Marlo Barksdale

You know who Michael Williams is? It says he was some type of manager with Rufus and Joe Casey. He was heavy in the cash money scene from 97-00.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
:francis:Y'all must ain't hear Fiend say on episode 4 that he wasn't getting paid right. Mystikal alluded to it too in that photo shoot interview. P was doing a nicer version of what other labels do by giving artists allowance money and material things instead of residual payments. Guarantee those artist got 1099'd and had to pay taxes on all of it.

I talked to a producer of this docuseries and P didn't have control over it. eOne Entertainment & Viacom is who put this together. It's basically an extended version of VH1 Behind The Music. You wouldn't have gotten King George and others on here otherwise.

BBTP just ain't messing with anything promoting P. Mo B. dikk is P's cousin and he hasn't spoken to him since 1999.

KLC explained that C had tension with P also because Magic was signed to C's TRU Records label (a subsidiary of NL). C was the one who believed in Magic, but P was going behind his back and telling Magic to rep No Limit instead of TRU Records when he got buzz. It'd be like Clive Davis telling Biggie to rep Arista instead of Bad Boy after Big Poppa.

They weren't on good terms and then C got arrested. P got Magic and Currensy directly on No Limit. Currensy has always said he felt conflicted going to P out of loyalty to C. But C said Currensy had to do what he had to do and it's cool. Currensy continuted to rep C-Murder any chance he got, even when he was signed to Young Money.

Nah you gotta study what actually happened. P actually owed Priority money from all the huge advances he got each time he dropped an album. They got alot of unsold albums returned and the albums weren't recouping. That's why Priority sued P for $46 million and No Limit Records filed for bankrupcy. P defaulted on the payment terms and that's how he lost the No Limit catalogue.

P went to Universal with New No Limit and took another huge advance after falsely stating that he had certain artists still under contract ready to drop albums. But those artists weren't messing with P and P didn't use the advance money to promote the artists albums that he did drop. The New No Limit artists went to Universal complaining about payments and promotion and they told them P had the money.

P basically ran off on the plug twice and that's why he was effectively blackballed.

@24:00 of this KLC talks about how P didn't want to pay them what they were owed. P's comments on the last episode show that he still doesn't feel like he needed to pay them.

Again, you have to tell the full story so that people learn from their mistakes and don't get fooled by a revisionist story.

Fiend said in an interview he wasn't focused as much on the business as he is now, take that for what you will. Mystikal was trying to reconnect with P years later after the tape charge and P wasn't focused on music. Would you go back to where there were discrepancies with your pay?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
@Marlo Barksdale

With the P paying residuals, P paid all that when he gave his artist their payments, He put the show money, their press runs, their money made off the radio in their payments.

I can remember a few people telling me, that P would pay these dudes so that they didn't have to do club shows, or any of those things, tours etc.

When a major gave their artists 6% off an album or less, P may have gave his artist 10-15% out of his 80% to make up for the residuals, tours, etc

I can see P doing this, giving his artists a bigger % from their sales, so that he didn't have to pay for residuals.

If I'm getting 80%, it's enough for me, why not do this for my team. Cuts down on the headaches

When Mac got caught up in his situation, P was upset that Mac went to that club, he was trying to understand, with millions in the bank, why are you at this club, doing a walk through etc. You're not hurting for money.

The residuals, don't add up, because most of these dudes didn't have radio singles, I can see maybe a Snoop, Silk, or a Mia X (With Party Don't Stop) maybe, but most of the artists who had radio songs, were mainly P, Silk, and Snoop, Maybe, TRU as a whole but again, who is that, P, Silk, C.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong, but I'm just using logic business sense to try and connect the dots.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Does any other music genre's fanbase care so much about sales? Dudes don't sit back and argue over how many albums Billy Ray Cyrus sold do they?
No other genre of music is based on competition though. Rap fans care about sales because the rappers themselves brag about them. Album sales isn't usually a topic other genres of musicians sing about.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
Fiend said in an interview he wasn't focused as much on the business as he is now, take that for what you will. Mystikal was trying to reconnect with P years later after the tape charge and P wasn't focused on music. Would you go back to where there were discrepancies with your pay?

Fiend said on the episode about leaving No Limit: "I don't know what's goin on, I just know I wasn't makin enough f**kin money. I don't know what stopped the flow of water, but something happened, so I had to keep swimming. I had to just keep movin."

People go back and work with labels after discrepancies all the time (Juvenile, Mase, Chingy, Jadakiss, etc). Desperate times call for desperate measures. That and they're just looking for somebody else to invest money into them.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong, but I'm just using logic business sense to try and connect the dots.

If the lawsuits about payments didn't have validity, P would have won them and not have been making payments to Priority after they said he owed them. He would have been blasting those White corporations in media outlets. He didn't and hasn't. Where there is flames, there is fire.

Imagine if KLC didnt get the residuals he was owed for Down For My N*ggas" and only got a small lump sum from 1999:patrice:. And then P tried to say they signed a contract for less that 1% of royalties. He ain't wanna pay them nothing:mindblown:.

Those lump sums may work from some of the D-list artists (they still had to pay 1099 taxes on those "gifts"), but it wasn't good long-term business for the ones who actually had songs and albums that generate revenue.

P did too much "homeboy business" on handshakes and that's the absolute worst kind of business. Same thing that caused problems with Cash Money and currently QC.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
Does any other music genre's fanbase care so much about sales? Dudes don't sit back and argue over how many albums Billy Ray Cyrus sold do they?

Record sales and being Black owned was literally No Limit's slogan.

v91T4eIlTOGO0WPjszm4

People forget that No Limit, not 50 Cent, was the first to constantly promote albums being Gold & Platinum. Death Row & Bad Boy made the biggest plaques, but P would have at least a two page No Limit ad in every Source magazine like this (ironic thing is most of those albums didn't sell anywhere near 500k and this was the start of the downfall era of No Limit).

That's what helped create the buzz behind the tank and made No Limit seem bigger than life.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Fiend said on the episode about leaving No Limit: "I don't know what's goin on, I just know I wasn't makin enough f**kin money. I don't know what stopped the flow of water, but something happened, so I had to keep swimming. I had to just keep movin."

People go back and work with labels after discrepancies all the time (Juvenile, Mase, Chingy, Jadakiss, etc). Desperate times call for desperate measures. That and they're just looking for somebody else to invest money into them.

If the lawsuits about payments didn't have validity, P would have won them and not have been making payments to Priority after they said he owed them. He would have been blasting those White corporations in media outlets. He didn't and hasn't. Where there is flames, there is fire.

Imagine if KLC didnt get the residuals he was owed for Down For My N*ggas" and only got a small lump sum from 1999:patrice:. And then P tried to say they signed a contract for less that 1% of royalties. He ain't wanna pay them nothing:mindblown:.

Those lump sums may work from some of the D-list artists (they still had to pay 1099 taxes on those "gifts"), but it wasn't good long-term business for the ones who actually had songs and albums that generate revenue.

P did too much "homeboy business" on handshakes and that's the absolute worst kind of business. Same thing that caused problems with Cash Money and currently QC.

You have to watch people words and intent, as I stated in my previous post about Fiend and others who fussed a bit about payments, "I wasn't making enough fukking money" that means he's comparing something to something? What is that something, he is comparing to the money he made off his 1st run.

Now yourself can go back and research, his 2 albums and see in plain sight if he is supposed to make the same amount of money on both runs. This is a hate nor stan thing, it's a simple intellect thing

If you sell 10 apples the first time and make 100 dollars, it's good, but if you only sell 5, and make 50 dollars, of course you're not going to make enough of money...

Simple as that

People go back because they at times knew they were at fault and didn't understand the business and did not take the time out to try and understand their business.. It's your business to take care of your business.

Last edited:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

I didn't follow P court room cases. Did P lose his cases? or were cases/lawsuits just "filed" People file cases all the time, but do those cases go to court and have a verdict or settlement announced..

P paid Priority 46 million dollars? I did not follow the case, and if you have it, I would like to read up on it for my knowledge and understanding.

Down For My nikkas came from an album that wasn't solely produced by Beats By The Pound, that set rate could have been prorated, or in the contract P could have just paid for the beat

Isn't it KL job to make sure HE gets residuals?? He the one made the beat, so why didn't he draw up a contract and have P sign it?? Again, how you expecting another grown man to do what you should have done or had the business mind to do??

Do you think J-Prince is sending out checks to the producer who made "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" ?

Do you think Tony Draper is sending out checks to the producer(s) who made Space Age Pimping?

To be fair those dudes would run through a brick wall for P, and P did establish contracts with his artist, which he stated in the series that he "ripped" them up, I'm not understanding the homeboy business thing?

The hand shake was more likely done before the actual paperwork was drawn up by P's lawyers.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
As far as the Priority situation, it doesn't make sense either.

If they are giving P 250k on every album that he drops (Up front) and they are putting an x amount of albums out to the retailers all of the world, and getting a 20% kickback from each sale, How is it that P owes them when it's in the contract that both parties agreed upon? If CDs doesn't sell, that's not on P, P shouldn't eat that cost in my opinion, especially in 1996-2000 when NL albums were still selling over 250k. Unless it was in the contract that P had to pay back on any CDs/albums that didn't sell, he would have to eat the cost, then I can see Priority suing P, and going after their money. If they are trying to make P pay back and it wasn't in the contract, then that's foul

That means every company that doesn't sell all of their albums, would have to pay and eat that cost up too

If they put out 50k Mac's album, which they gave P 250k up front to start the project, the album sells 40k, 10k left over, How is it that P owes them??

Again, that's where I think the disconnect came into play and P felt like Priority was trying to rape him for funds.

With the Universal thing, He just got a check from them and said that he would pay for everything, and he had Mr. Magic, Silkk, Romeo, and himself at the time he was under their umbrella, I think he had 5th Ward too,

I think he used Universal money (the same thing Cash Money does) to sign artists, put up promo and funnel their lifestyle

I just see P looking out for his best interest at the end of the day

it depends on if Priority had a retail or consignment deal with the record stores. It kind of sounds like consignment where they shipped all the CD to the stores and gave the store a percentage of there 20% on each sale

this would mean the rights of CD inventory belonged to Priority so if the store shipped the product back that didn’t sell to Priority someone had to eat that cost (No limit or Priorty). It sounds like P never paid for all there unsold CDs

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
watched all 4 eps so far

pleasant reminder of how 2 NO nikkas (baby and P) inspired a NY nikka to try to get in this music shyt I grew up with

failed miserably but I wouldn’t take the experience back for nothing