Now I See Why Shaq Always Hated on Dwight Howard

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Facts lol
He’d still be amazing, but he’d really have to work on his pick and roll defense and add at least a little bit of range on husband jumper outside the paint. His skill set fit perfectly in his era and it’s really arguable that the zone was allowed after 2001 as the only means the league could find to slow him down. Look at how Dallas guarded him in 2006. Up until the 2001-02 season, that strategy wasn’t allowed at all so you had to play him straight up until the ball was in his hands. Yeah he wasn’t at his best anymore, but he still had a great season (he averaged roughly 22/11 with 2.3 blocks on 65% shooting in the conference finals). He struggled since he had no space to operate since the heat had poor floor spacing. If you wanted to get 27-30 points on average out of him today like his peak, you’d need shooters to give him room to operate.

Shaq wasn’t really that great of a rebounder once he got to LA.
:dahell: he averaged over 11 a night in six of his eight seasons there, went over 12 a night 2-3 seasons, and over 13 a night once too. He got nearly 11 a night even his first year in Miami which was his age 34 season, which is generally the point centers fall off a cliff unless your name is Kareem, and his rebounding did at that age. On a 19 year career he averaged 11 a night.

Sin Simma

Rich Rollin
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide

Howard was always a threat to him. He could’ve been the real “Superman”.
The way Shaq (and Kobe) treated Dwight over the years made him seem like a bum to me for so long :mindblown:

and I bet it kinda mentally affected Dwight’s career. Now in Charlotte He’s getting more love and respect and I’m starting to see him for what he is :ohhh:
A hall of famer:banderas:

Shaq on the other hand is looking more like an underachiever :manny:

Can’t stand Shaq but I’m going to defend him. He constantly said Dwight could do that, which is why he was always on him. 51 times? Shaq was right, but to call him an underachiever? Shaq was the last center to win the scoring title, and had one of the greatest triples I have ever seen. 24,28, and 15 blocks. Could you imagine if he had taken the game seriously? Sheesh!!

Last edited:

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah he had some pretty luck with teams. just imagine if he went to the Spurs instead of PG or if he was who Cleveland decided to sign instead of resigning TT or if GSW gives him a flyer instead of Javale/Zaza

theres dozens of times where teams needed him but either he or they misplayed their hand
Man Dwight did midnight workout. Dude was always in the gym. It wasn’t his diet, it was his ego that stopped him from being better. Dude didn’t want to focus on the basketball details he was good at. Rebounding, defense and more importantly pick and roll. He wanted the ball dumped down to him in the post 15 times a game but because of his lack of skill set in that department and free throw shooting that type of style of play just wasn’t conducive to winning basketball. There’s a reason that the best season Houston had while he was there was the year he was most injured.

Dwight needed to put in more work to get to where he wanted himself to be.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Can’t stand Shaq but I’m going to defend him. He constantly said Dwight could do that, which is why he was always on him. 51 times? Shaq was right, and call him an underachiever? Shaq was the last center to win the scoring title, and had one of the greatest triples I ever seen. 24,28, and 15 blocks. Could you imagine if he had taken the game seriously? Sheesh!!

Shaq was the last center to lead the league in scoring largely due to the rule changes and natural progression of the game moving away from big men on the low block. It’s arguable the last old school center like that was Yao whose low post game was his bread and butter, and he turned pro 16 years ago. Maybe Dwight would average an extra 2-3 points on the career if he really developed a few moves and a decent jumper, but his peak scoring season was 23 a night and the leader that season got nearly 28 a night. Some guys aren’t premier scorers like that. Offensively speaking, Dwight should’ve been the second option, but Orlando couldn’t find a number 1 to pair him with and his personality type was always bound to have issues with a guy like Kobe or Har_en.

No Hook

Surrounded By Hate Yet I Love Home
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Dwight was just always a stupid player that did a lot of dumb shyt on the court. He was always talented but his bball IQ has always been was very low

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
Dwight need a year or two of college ball to develop. I wished he could have been taught by John Thompson & follow the line of great Georgetown big men.

Last edited:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Man Dwight did midnight workout. Dude was always in the gym. It wasn’t his diet, it was his ego that stopped him from being better. Dude didn’t want to focus on the basketball details he was good at. Rebounding, defense and more importantly pick and roll. He wanted the ball dumped down to him in the post 15 times a game but because of his lack of skill set in that department and free throw shooting that type of style of play just wasn’t conducive to winning basketball. There’s a reason that the best season Houston had while he was there was the year he was most injured.

Dwight needed to put in more work to get to where he wanted himself to be.
I do believe his style of play wasn’t conducive to what Houston (or most winning teams) would desire. I just think those seasons he still could’ve been a positive on someone’s team instead of a complete negative. Didn’t know he just didn’t run the PnR tho

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Dwight fell off once he started demanding the ball in the post like he was Tim Duncan.

Had he accepted that he was strictly a roll man then the perception of him would be different at this moment.