NYC one-bedroom rents hit $2,980/month, an all-time high

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC
This is actually a brilliant idea and I know a girl from NYC who does this in North Carolina and just like you said she negotiated with her job to do so.

Yeah that's pretty much my plan in the future. Everybody in my section already works all across the country as it is. My goal is to rent out my current house in DC and just move me and my grandmother back down to Carolina and work from home there.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
The median Manhattan rent in December rose 16.5% from a year earlier to $4,048. Though that was a record for December, there were some signs the market may be easing in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn after steady gains1 through much of last year, according to a report by Miller Samuel Inc. and brokerage Douglas Elliman Real Estate.

In Manhattan, the median rent fell for four of the past five months since reaching a record in July, while the vacancy rate rose for an eighth straight month. Demand for rentals, however, isn't likely to ease much while sales prices and financing costs2 remain high.

"The market is still robust on the rental side, especially in Manhattan," said Hal D. Gavzie, executive vice president for residential leasing at Douglas Elliman. ``We are seeing more people enter the rental market, with the high mortgage rates making it more expensive to buy."

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC

MANHATTAN

Rents

• The median Manhattan rent was $4,270 per month in October 2023. Rental prices have fallen 5% when compared to September but rose 2% versus last year. The median rent for apartments in doorman buildings decreased for the first time in over two years.

• Average rents decreased year-over-year for all unit types except studios. High rents have pushed renters to smaller units, driving studio rents upward – to reach an average of $3,332. In contrast, three-bedroom rents experienced their largest annual decline in nearly three years.

• With an average rent of $8,480, SoHo/Tribeca was the most expensive Manhattan neighborhood for renters. Inwood/Washington Heights was the most affordable, where the rent was $2,581 on average.

BROOKLYN

Rents

• The median rent in Brooklyn was $3,750 in October 2023, down 2% month-over-month but up 4% year-over-year. October marked the 25th consecutive month of annual rent growth. However, the 4% year-over-year increase in median rent was the smallest annual increase in three years.

• At $4,328, the average rent for Brooklyn in October declined 3% from September but rose 7% annually. Average rent increased year-over-year for all bedroom types. Studios experienced their 28th consecutive month of annual rent growth, the longest streak of any bedroom type — to reach an average of $3,000 per month.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC

Years-to-Save-for-a-Down-Payment-on-a-Median-Priced-NYC-Home.png