RESEARCH NEWS
WATCH: Octopuses Punch Fish, Sometimes For No Apparent Reason
December 24, 20206:27 PM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
REESE OXNER

Twitter
NELL CLARK

1-Minute Listen
What have eight legs, hunt among a group of fish and can throw a mean sucker punch?

According to research published in Ecology last week, the answer would be octopuses (yes, octopuses, not octopi—we asked).

Octopuses punch fish. Deliberately. Sometimes there's a reason, but other times, there's no discernible excuse. Researchers caught this behavior on video.

The first time researcher Eduardo Sampaio witnessed this phenomenon, he laughed. Normally that'd be fine but at the time he was underwater wearing scuba equipment.

"I almost choked on my regulator," he said in an interview with NPR's Morning Edition. "When I saw it for the first time, I just burst out laughing."

The octopus is typically a solitary creature, but sometimes an octopus might take part in a hunting party made up of fishes. A grouper's gestures, for example, can clue an octopus into the location of prey. Sampaio and his co-researchers were studying this mutually beneficial behavior when they came across an octopus punching fish while hunting.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Octopus are a top 10 animal on the planet.

tumblr_n5diryoWEy1r6g9m4o2_400.gif

More to them than we think... These creatures are smarter than humans.

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
tumblr_n5diryoWEy1r6g9m4o2_400.gif

More to them than we think... These creatures are smarter than humans.

Crazy story but true.

In our bio lab we had a tank on one side of the room with an octopus and another tank with different kinds of fish on the other side.

the lab professor kept getting pissed because someone was stealing expensive fish and security couldn’t figure out who.

he set up a camera to catch the culprit.

he showed us the tape and it shows the octopus unlatching his tank lid through a pump opening .... crawl to the other side of the room...eat....crawl BACK to his tank and relatch his tank

They are extremely intelligent!!!!!! They are the world’s greatest escape artists. If you get bored one day lookup videos on YouTube.

I have a degree in Marine Biology and I can’t begin to tell you how fascinating these creatures are.