Octopuses Out Here Snuffing Fish Brehs Apparently :picard:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Crazy story but true.

In our bio lab we had a tank on one side of the room with an octopus and another tank with different kinds of fish on the other side.

the lab professor kept getting pissed because someone was stealing expensive fish and security couldn’t figure out who.

he set up a camera to catch the culprit.

he showed us the tape and it shows the octopus unlatching his tank lid through a pump opening .... crawl to the other side of the room...eat....crawl BACK to his tank and relatch his tank

They are extremely intelligent!!!!!! They are the world’s greatest escape artists. If you get bored one day lookup videos on YouTube.

I have a degree in Marine Biology and I can’t begin to tell you how fascinating these creatures are.

I have heard this story so many times so if you have video of it please show it:
Octopus Facts | The Aquarium-Hopping Myth Unmasked

The aquarium-hopping myth

The story she heard many times in different versions had an octopus living in at a large aquarium (think Sea World) or a simple tank at home, or maybe in the wild – the stories varied. But the gist of all the stories was that the octopus climbed up and out of wherever it was living, managed to transport itself to a stash of tasty fish or shellfish in a tank nearby, grabbed them, ate them, and returned to its original abode.

Lucy suspected it might be the stuff of urban legend so, as all good internet sleuths do, she immediately went to snopes.com. But surprisingly, snopes apparently had no official posting on the subject. Happily, however, they did have a thread on it in their user forum.

The octopus facts

In the 2005 thread, “Octopus escapes from tank to prowl on its neighborsposter Iustinus said he’d heard a story about an aquarium where fish kept disappearing from one particular tank. “The staff put up cameras to find out what was going on, and discovered that an octopus was climbing out of its tank, eating the fish, then crawling back to its own tank,” he said. Problem was, Iustinus couldn’t recall exactly where he’d heard this, and searching Google revealed that versions of this story were plentiful but they all varied and few cited any sources. He wanted to know what others had heard.

Ten people replied, most reporting that they too had heard versions of the story. One had heard it from co-workers while employed at an aquarium in La Jolla, CA. Others had seen a Discovery Channel video in which an employee of a Tennessee aquarium reported that it had happened there. Another person wrote “Heh – it *happened* at our local aquarium, too!” though they neglected to say where they lived.

As all truly great legends do, this one seems to have numerous believable origins, none of which can be sourced or verified. Octopus facts or fiction? We’ll leave it for you to decide.

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
I have heard this story so many times so if you have video of it please show it:
Octopus Facts | The Aquarium-Hopping Myth Unmasked

The aquarium-hopping myth

The story she heard many times in different versions had an octopus living in at a large aquarium (think Sea World) or a simple tank at home, or maybe in the wild – the stories varied. But the gist of all the stories was that the octopus climbed up and out of wherever it was living, managed to transport itself to a stash of tasty fish or shellfish in a tank nearby, grabbed them, ate them, and returned to its original abode.

Lucy suspected it might be the stuff of urban legend so, as all good internet sleuths do, she immediately went to snopes.com. But surprisingly, snopes apparently had no official posting on the subject. Happily, however, they did have a thread on it in their user forum.

The octopus facts

In the 2005 thread, “Octopus escapes from tank to prowl on its neighborsposter Iustinus said he’d heard a story about an aquarium where fish kept disappearing from one particular tank. “The staff put up cameras to find out what was going on, and discovered that an octopus was climbing out of its tank, eating the fish, then crawling back to its own tank,” he said. Problem was, Iustinus couldn’t recall exactly where he’d heard this, and searching Google revealed that versions of this story were plentiful but they all varied and few cited any sources. He wanted to know what others had heard.

Ten people replied, most reporting that they too had heard versions of the story. One had heard it from co-workers while employed at an aquarium in La Jolla, CA. Others had seen a Discovery Channel video in which an employee of a Tennessee aquarium reported that it had happened there. Another person wrote “Heh – it *happened* at our local aquarium, too!” though they neglected to say where they lived.

As all truly great legends do, this one seems to have numerous believable origins, none of which can be sourced or verified. Octopus facts or fiction? We’ll leave it for you to decide.

I don’t , this was YEARS ago in college :flabbynsick:

Pseudonym

Supporter
Daps
@num123

I found this video which kinda shows it... it’s a 10 minute watch but you can fast forward to the difficult tasks

start at 6:00 if you’re short on time

:mjlol: I didn’t even post the video my bad

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
Crazy story but true.

In our bio lab we had a tank on one side of the room with an octopus and another tank with different kinds of fish on the other side.

the lab professor kept getting pissed because someone was stealing expensive fish and security couldn’t figure out who.

he set up a camera to catch the culprit.

he showed us the tape and it shows the octopus unlatching his tank lid through a pump opening .... crawl to the other side of the room...eat....crawl BACK to his tank and relatch his tank

They are extremely intelligent!!!!!! They are the world’s greatest escape artists. If you get bored one day lookup videos on YouTube.

I have a degree in Marine Biology and I can’t begin to tell you how fascinating these creatures are.
Bruh was snacking expensive fish :ohhh:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
tumblr_n5diryoWEy1r6g9m4o2_400.gif

More to them than we think... These creatures are smarter than humans.

I just watched this fat Hawaiian cac catch one on diners, drive ins, and dives this morning and got tight.

Pseudonym

Supporter
Daps
@Pseudonym how much you make with that degree? My 7yr old wants to do that but I’m telling her ain’t no money in that. She has 3 fish and some shrimp already. She has plans to save the oceans

:wub::wub::wub:

Omg I love her already!!!!!!

I made the decision to do Marine Biology around her age when I saw Free Willy and touched a killer whale at SeaWorld.

I definitely had a goal: to be a killer whale trainer at SeaWorld...my 4th year in college,they ended trainers being in water and there was a lot of press about the mistreatment of them. So I kinda lost my passion.

money wise: as a researcher with corals, I made about 30K

I also worked with manatees,(tagging them) bringing hurt ones in for vet treatment and I got roughly 45K

I worked with more experienced researchers who got grants and were getting 90k-100k depending on the research.

Its possible for her to make a good living doing what she loves if she sticks with it.

once again, my only goal was to be a killer whale trainer .ironically I hate dolphins so that wasn’t a back up.

If you can, bring her to Discovery Cove, she would absolutely go batshyt crazy

edit: I don’t work in research anymore, I’m an RN now

Last edited: