Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Sorry to Bother You Director Criticizes Joker, Calls Superhero Films "Cop Movies"

Sorry to Bother You writer-director Boots Riley believes the Todd Phillips-directed Joker is anti-rebellion despite the revolution sparked by the downtrodden Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix), saying it does the “same exact thing” all superhero movies do: present rebellion as “crazy.” During the San Francisco International Film Festival, Riley spoke out against superhero movies, referred to by Riley as “cop movies,” arguing cop movies express the belief the impoverished “are in poverty because of their own mistakes and their own shortcomings, and it has nothing to do with the system.” Joker presents the future Batman villain as a mentally ill, failed comedian who is too poor to afford access to mental health care in crime-infested Gotham City.

“Excellent performances and you know, I love Joaquin Phoenix and hope to work with him,” Riley told IndieWire. “But basically it wasn’t flipping the superhero story on its head; it was doing the same exact thing that they all do, which is ‘rebellion is crazy.’ That’s what they told you, that these people are rebelling and they have no real reason to.”

Riley added the message is “the same thing that The Dark Knight tried to tell us,” referring to themes of economic inequality touched on in 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises.

“You know, The Dark Knight, they made it more like Occupy after Occupy happened because they wanted to make this statement,” he said. “The truth is that these superhero movies are cop movies, and cop stories, cop shows, and cop movies are all about saying one thing — that those in poverty are there because they made the wrong choices, that the impoverished are in poverty because of their own mistakes and their own shortcomings, and it has nothing to do with the system.”

According to Riley, Joker “reinforces that by telling you, not only are these folks there because of who they are, [but that] the poor folks are stupid and when they rebel, it’s because they’re angry, and actually, rich people had nothing to do with them being poor. In actuality, those that are rich got rich off of exploiting the workers.”

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dahell:

Did he watch the movie or just skim through it?
Yeah. The movie tried to emphasize how politicians were cutting important social services, fukking the middle and lower class over while the rich got richer. I mean, they talked a decent amount about trash not even getting picked up while the rich were going to laugh at Charlie Chaplin movies in tuxes and shyt.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
this superhero film/cinema shyt is apparently never going away anytime soon.

a5CSl3v.png

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:dahell:

Did he watch the movie or just skim through it?

Just like he skimmed through the rest of the 'cop' movies lol. His comments a while ago about Black Panther and now this tell me he's full of shyt and has an agenda, though I fukks with him. Sorry to bother you is ill lol

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
wow...shyt was disturbing bcuz outside of the batman/joker lore...there are a lot of realistic elements in the story...even tho this was supposed to be “gotham” a lot of shyt reminded me of NYC in the late 70s/early 80s

first half of the flick was a bit predictable...I knew he was hallucinating re: the chic...once that “reveal” was out the way tho the movie took an even darker turn than it already had...the 2nd half of that film left me speechless...overall it was well executed

I don’t want to be a “victim of the moment” an expression I heard someone use on here earlier today lol...but I feel it’s fair to say joakim phoenix brought as much to the table as heath ledger did as far as capturing the random chaos that joker represents...I’m pretty sure he killed that woman in the end...that was her blood when he was leaving the footprints behind so I have to question whether or not he killed old girl in the apartment

disturbing movie and not “delightfully disturbing” which is a phrase I hear folks use...shyt was utterly disturbing and even frightening @ some moments...idk if “enjoy” is the right word but the movie was well executed...had my doubts...glad I watched it tho...wonder if phoenix will get a nomination...his performance was a little hammy and over the top @ times imo but it was a very solid performance overall