Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yeah, a few of those DOE era songs don't quite work, the lyrics are usually sharp, but You Don't Know Me, Hardest Thing To Stay Alive, and When Thugs Die, suffer from very mild production, and often very bad hooks. "Wanna Play" transcends, but that hook was pretty grating too, saved by sharp storytelling and intricate details, for his Escobar fantasies.

Quick listen of Wanna Play, that last verse contains a rape scenario, even saying "anal ripped out", I remember being kinda queasy with that part as kid... where Nas' goons rape a woman who is tied up, that will never be released, and probably shouldn't be, probably have to discontinue that one in my Nas playlist.

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
aint herd it in like 20 years. hold up.

*edit* jus listened to it now and thats a double down on my statement

the song is not "fun" like a daydreamin/stay schemin or shoot em up.

its the perfect example of a subpar nas song from its basic clue/duro synth beat to the contrived lyrics.

nah breh

True. It’s not special. It’s in the same lane as Never Gonna Give It Up but the collector in me wants ALL Nas shyt CDQ.

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
I wonder if Nas recorded anything with Murda Inc and 7 Aurelius besides the pledge.

Lol @ possibility of Nas recording it, saying he was going to Murda Inc and literally just ghosting them.
Damn shame cuz he wouldve gotten some fire production

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
True. It’s not special. It’s in the same lane as Never Gonna Give It Up but the collector in me wants ALL Nas shyt CDQ.

it is not even close to never gonna give it up. that was crafted as a single and you can hear the quality in everything from the production to the flow.

nas properly plays "nas" while product g n b stress the meaning of not giving up.

great introspective lyrics about reflection while thugs die is just random banter.

the only special about thugs is that nas goes overboard on sound effects and adlibs.

i understand YOU want the song but the song belongs on the cutting room floor. it isnt abysmal but it lacks the things that makes nas songs special.

never gonna give it up is a stillmatic classic (@JustCKing ) lol

while thugs die is the worst nas solo song that has ever graced the dual sides of a clue tape

Yeah, a few of those DOE era songs don't quite work, the lyrics are usually sharp, but You Don't Know Me, Hardest Thing To Stay Alive, and When Thugs Die, suffer from very mild production, and often very bad hooks. "Wanna Play" transcends, but that hook was pretty grating too, saved by sharp storytelling and intricate details, for his Escobar fantasies.

Quick listen of Wanna Play, that last verse contains a rape scenario, even saying "anal ripped out", I remember being kinda queasy with that part as kid... where Nas' goons rape a woman who is tied up, that will never be released, and probably shouldn't be, probably have to discontinue that one in my Nas playlist.

1) you dont know me is a watered down remake of the hardest thing to do is stay alive. same song just remixed

2) the beat clue/duro gave nas for thugs die is in no way comparable to any of those dame grease or al west tracks. it is to be ranked at the bottom sonically.

3) nas edited fetus for lost tapes

4) wanna play is not an autobiographical tale

5) wanna play was released on dame grease album back in 01

Damn shame cuz he wouldve gotten some fire production

1) you wanted nas to be down with ja rule and ashanti? :pachaha:

2) irv gotti produced supa ugly then went to d!ckride nas becuz Hov turned murda inc down

3) nas never said he was gona sign with them ever. he had one studio session and recorded two tracks and the world lost its mind.

4) salaaam remi >>>> A7

Last edited:

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
When Thugs Die is dope, in my opinion. The second and third verses are two stories that actually connect from him killing the girl's dude to him getting caught up and eventually getting killed himself at the end. One of Nas' most underrated stories. I couldn't follow the story really in the last verse of Tales From The Hood...and Day Dreaming was always wack, I don't care how fun it was supposed to be. Never Gonna Give It Up is dope though, but we already have it in great quality without a DJ. I always preferred the Bravehearts version of the Flyest over the AZ version, too. Should have kept that on Stillmatic and it would have replaced Braveheart Party and Nas and AZ could have done a new song to replaced wack ass My Country or Rule. Mainly cuz of Jungle's verse, it fit much better than when he recycled it in wack ass Zone Out. Just my opinion of course lol

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
1) you wanted nas to be down with ja rule and ashanti? :pachaha:

2) irv gotti produced supa ugly then went to d!ckride nas becuz Hov turned murda inc down

3) nas never said he was gona sign with them ever. he had one studio session and recorded two tracks and the world lost its mind.

4) salaaam remi >>>> A7

I really dont care bout none of that other shyt you just typed out. i just know Irv (along with 7, Chink Sanatana, Lil Rizzy etc) provided some very dope production that I wouldnt have mind listening to Nas on. All that other stuff is a matter of opinion (mostly negative because of the public’s perception of Ja Rule and them). Nas and Irv clearly have SOME kinda relationship whether working or deeper. I doubt nas was gonna sign with them, probably wouldve been a partnership or joint venture where they produced for an album or whatever

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
I really dont care bout none of that other shyt you just typed out. i just know Irv (along with 7, Chink Sanatana, Lil Rizzy etc) provided some very dope production that I wouldnt have mind listening to Nas on. All that other stuff is a matter of opinion (mostly negative because of the public’s perception of Ja Rule and them). Nas and Irv clearly have SOME kinda relationship whether working or deeper. I doubt nas was gonna sign with them, probably wouldve been a partnership or joint venture where they produced for an album or whatever

1) salaaam >>>>> jimi, chink, irv, 7 and whoever else in house at murda inc

2) you say you dont care about what i typed but then go to expand on the topic of irv LOL

3) LOL @ wanting him over the beats from pain is love

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
@The Dust King

I think it's pretty similar, but yes, the Dame Grease are the stronger ones, production wise, clearly. Even a beat on a pretty conceptually personal track, which no one was doing at the time, like "My Worst Enemy" suffers from below par production. I get that "Wanna Play" is not autobiographical, but he is 100% rapping from a first person character on that song, himself. I forgot Wanna Play was commercially released.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
aint herd it in like 20 years. hold up.

*edit* jus listened to it now and thats a double down on my statement

the song is not "fun" like a daydreamin/stay schemin or shoot em up.

its the perfect example of a subpar nas song from its basic clue/duro synth beat to the contrived lyrics.

nah breh
U wildin. When thugs die is dope. Lol. Mad of my nikkas loved that song when it hit mixtapes.

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
When Thugs Die is dope, in my opinion. The second and third verses are two stories that actually connect from him killing the girl's dude to him getting caught up and eventually getting killed himself at the end. One of Nas' most underrated stories. I couldn't follow the story really in the last verse of Tales From The Hood...and Day Dreaming was always wack, I don't care how fun it was supposed to be. Never Gonna Give It Up is dope though, but we already have it in great quality without a DJ. I always preferred the Bravehearts version of the Flyest over the AZ version, too. Should have kept that on Stillmatic and it would have replaced Braveheart Party and Nas and AZ could have done a new song to replaced wack ass My Country or Rule. Mainly cuz of Jungle's verse, it fit much better than when he recycled it in wack ass Zone Out. Just my opinion of course lol

ight so this what i got from your post lol

1) when thugs die >> tales frm the hood
2) jungle on zone out >> az on flyest

:gucci:

I’m 1 of the few that thinks The Pledge is wack :yeshrug:

it is wack. done let somebody tell you different. it isnt abysmal but its lackluster as fukk.

theres no meeee bbbbb blaaaastiin :comeon:

@The Dust King

I think it's pretty similar, but yes, the Dame Grease are the stronger ones, production wise, clearly. Even a beat on a pretty conceptually personal track, which no one was doing at the time, like "My Worst Enemy" suffers from below par production. I get that "Wanna Play" is not autobiographical, but he is 100% rapping from a first person character on that song, himself. I forgot Wanna Play was commercially released.

agreed with you for the most part just figured he would change the song as he has changed other things "politically incorrect" if it wasnt released already.

U wildin. When thugs die is dope. Lol. Mad of my nikkas loved that song when it hit mixtapes.

if i go back and re-listen to it (since i cut the shyt off after the first verse an hour ago) i highly doubt my opinion of the song would change.

1) the beat is jus "cheap" sounding/annoying

2) hook is ass

3) first verse is one of nas most contrived verses ever.

i said the song was the worst nas solo song ever to grace a clue tape

prove me wrong.

show me another solo nas track as ASS as that from a clue tape. the era of clue is top tier esco. i know you cant. that song is in the bottom tier of nas unreleased catalogue hands down.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Some of the Nas unreleased songs from that era 1998-01 are mythologized beyond their actual quality, "When Thugs Die" is one of those. There are songs that Nas thought were garbage, and made it's way onto tapes, and into the public conversation, for good reason, some of them are cutting room material.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

it is wack. done let somebody tell you different. it isnt abysmal but its lackluster as fukk.

theres no meeee bbbbb blaaaastiin :comeon:

agreed with you for the most part just figured he would change the song as he has changed other things "politically incorrect" if it wasnt released already.

if i go back and re-listen to it (since i cut the shyt off after the first verse an hour ago) i highly doubt my opinion of the song would change.

1) the beat is jus "cheap" sounding/annoying

2) hook is ass

3) first verse is one of nas most contrived verses ever.

i said the song was the worst nas solo song ever to grace a clue tape

prove me wrong.

show me another solo nas track as ASS as that from a clue tape. the era of clue is top tier esco. i know you cant. that song is in the bottom tier of nas unreleased catalogue hands down.
When thugs die is a dope mixtape track. It would never work for an album.

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!

You almost got it right.

1. When Thugs Die >> Tales From The Hood

2. Jungle on The Flyest >> AZ on The Flyest