Old heads how mad were u when Smif-N-Wessun pulled this stunt.....

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Yea that album was a weed plate.

I think they even made "Spanish Harlem" a single....coming from smif n wessun :dahell:

They gassed us with the really dope singles before the album dropped. First Won on Won, then Black Trump. I'll never forget my boy saying Phone Tap was the hottest song in November 97 and Black Trump was the hottest song in December 97. Then the Cocoa Bz ad with the naked women in the cup of hot chocolate. They really hyped us up only to strike 3 at the bottom of the ninth with bases loaded.

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
I'm not old enough to know how it was in real time. But that shyt got heavy play on all the throwbacks. That was my introduction 2 it. And I fukk with it :manny:

it got me into BCC.
Kinda fukked up the brand. They was gritty then this.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Call this a hot take, but I preferred all of the OG mixes of all the BCC stuff.

When Buckshot got sing-songy with I Gotcha Opin rmx and then S&W with this and then the gimmicky Super Brooklyn

Reminded me too much of these folks who were catering to a West Coast/National Audience

The R&B Friendly Remixes

The West Coast Remixes

Let's try and be Southern/try and get a Southern Fanbase, even though we been dropping deuces on em since the start

All this stuff is haram, literal Treif Life.

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
I liked quite a few songs on Magnum Force overall but the others you mention are definitely up there with the big disappointments of 98 no doubt.... That Cocoa Bs album was A HUGE LETDOWN I remember, their debut is 10 times better and they dropped on that one IMO.

Yeah Tek and Steele told me that Years ago. That's what caused creative division on the BCC album.

Buckshot, Steele, and Tek being around Pac for One Nation wanted to focus on a sound more universal using guitars, live instruments and shyt like that

Rock, Price and OGC would rather drop a whole album of gutter NYC Tim boot shyt with the Beatminerz and call it a day.

Even on songs on the CocoBz like Black Trump and Blown away. They definitely tried to capture a West Coast type sound

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
That was common practice back then and good marketing because you bought both the album and the single. With the single you always got a good B-side also
It used to be crazy because nikkas would buy albums thinking the video version of the song was on the album and get pissed. Like Crossroads lol.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Truth.

You always knew they were gonna drop a remix for their singles back then. All the Black Moon remixes were dope! They had some classic b-sides too. The b-side I always wished Smif N Wessun had on Dah Shinin' was this joint:

THIS, not being on the album is the true travesty. Might be my favorite S-n-W song

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
:russ: I was one of the peeps who bought this album because of this single and felt cheated when I found out it wasn't on the album. Still liked this album alot though.

E.1999 Eternal was another one that had me confused. I had the album in 1995, then the next year Tha Crossroads Remix(radio version) came out and blew up. I was thinking that version had to be on the album I had, and though it was a secret song. I would just let the tape run after the last song on it. Would let that shyt run until it stopped by itself only to be disappointed.