Old School vs New School beef is brewing

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Daps
hqg-84.gif

Other than Thugga then No the fukk they don't :martin:
Because they might get a couple of clubs engagements :dahell:
Them dudes barely making enough money to feed their drug habits and buy a designer outfit every month. If what they have right NOW is the definition on successful then y'all new kids are straight up LOST. A one year run is basically a fluke. And you talking about albums sells when these cats don't have ANY SALES PERIOD. How they suppose to have any sustained success. Your statement is one of the most stupid shyt I read on the 'net in a minute. I bet you are a crack baby :martin:

Young Thug may be a popular artist among a particular segment of fans or consumers, but on the grand scale of things, I wouldn't actually consider him "successful" either.

Daps
Reppin
London
It's gonna be funny watchin young nikkas grow old boy :mjlol: This shyt is like the child support shyt

Indeed, that's the real tragedy here.

There are good arguments being made from both sides in this thread but folks have to be aware of the unseen hand at play here. Everyone needs to be less emotive and enjoy what they like and don't try force it to others.

If I don't like something, I won't diss it crazily; I just won't listen to it! Simple. There is great music being dropped today and that should be acknowledged. This just shows how much lack of control original people have of their own culture and how to dictate it's image moving forward.

I could go on deeper but my point is this; if you hold a particular set of abilities in high regards then enjoy that don't waste your time with those who you feel lack in those departments. Go and discover artist that tick your boxes.

Controversies sell.

With that said, I'm bookmarking this to review same time next year :lolbron:.

Last edited:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I think they should know their history but forcing people to do what you want causes a knee jerk reaction. That is what you are seeing here. Kodak Black *DOESNT* have to like Biggie and Pac. Never before were 30-40 year olds so adamant about telling the younger generation how they need to act/think/know/etc. I remember rolling my eyes at people who would tell me how rap was better in the 80s but I didn't get lectures for not spinning on my head on cardboard in all addidas gear

Some people, especially on this board, need to let the young kids cook. You aren't supposed to get it all. It isn't supposed to be the 90s. People in the 60s, 70s, and 80s also think their era was the best. This is natural. Some people don't want to be old and out of touch so they try to dictate what is still 'accepted'

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
Half these nikkas can't even remember what they had for breakfast this morning the fukk I look like caring about they dumbass opinion.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I'm guessing none of you old heads listen to that bullshyt, right? So who cares?

:russell:

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
Aint no beef "brewing" its just an archetypal struggle between two generations of young and old.

And as is typical with this dynamic, generally its the older crowd unfairly ridiculing the younger generation as being frivolous, untalented, disrespectful, and without merit, which are usually criticisms masked by resentment because they arent young anymore. I think thats whats happening here in hip hop.

Go to pretty much any youtube video featuring an older artist, and you'll invariably find comments blasting the current rap generation. They cant even enjoy a video from an older artist without using it as an excuse to say "new hip hop sucks!!!" (damn all of it?). You're not going to go to many Big Sean videos and see random cheap shots like "90s hip hop is trash!".

Older rappers unload on the current generation quite freqently, while generally the extent of what I'll hear from newer rappers is "I dont really like 90s rap". A lot of older rappers forget the unnecessary hate they received from older musicians from the 60s/70s/80s, who wrote all hip hop off as stealing from talented musicians from the past, and being fundamentally worthless as a genre.
This is 100% true. The whole statement is true, but it's always funny... because this is always what I think about when I see these debates... it's exactly what we went through growing up. The older people shytted on our whole existence.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the younger people who are coming up and trying to make there way aren't concerned about what came before them for the simple fact that a lot of it has nothing to do with what they're doing now. The rules have changed. If you're a true fan of the history of music and listen to all the 90s shyt, all the more power to you, but from a music standpoint that won't necessarily make you any better in today's climate.

I'm :flabbynsick: as shyt but I definitely stay in tune with what's out now. I'm not trying to get stuck in a time warp believing that what I grew up on is the only good thing. It's like people who won't do internet banking lol... maybe not a fair comparison, but I think you get what I'm saying.

You can't ever get old and shyt on a generation that you don't fully understand, all music aside. I'm pretty sure us 30+ posters still have aunts, uncles and grandmothers who rag on shyt WE do... nevermind the generation underneath... imagine what they'd think of them

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
There are young nikkas with bars. There are garbage older nikkas without them.
Young nikkas just put the most extreme extras on the excuses of garbage nikkas that came before them. "I ain't gotta rap, I'm a real nikka! I'm in these streets! Do Nas bust his gun?" (Funny: He did to save his own life, jeezy's GOON didn't..rip Pookie Loc) It's easier to recreate, it's easier to market. Now you don't even HAVE to keep that facade up. Just remnants of the aesthetic/aura. A Guwop is easier to clone than a Kendrick.
The "bedroom rapper" phenomenon started in the early 00s w/ soundclick nikkas. There was a crossroads there, though: nikkas who WENT OUTSIDE AND RAPPED recorded at home later. Now they cut out the whole "rapper development stage" because of cultural shifts.
1.Participation trophy generation. Younger cats are encouraged to be more accepting of what we considered garbage. They know people will love them anyway, and it's not about "what you can do" but "how does this fit in the mix"...Hence them saying "flexed out swagged out" shyt. There are people in that category who can rap. Most can't, though. Just like in the early 00s with the NYC "mixtape goon" and Philly "DVD goon" scenes. A lot of those dudes were copypasting and rearranging the more prominent mixtape rappers' styles, dumbing them down, and kinda blending in with the wave until you couldn't tell the difference (Jae Hood? Kay Slay track #27 ass nikkas? Ice Shuler? 2005 Troy Ave? <<< These guys. Or people who sounded like Sheek Louch at his worst)....This is simply the exaggerated southern version of it. If a rhythm is easy to pick up, a whole gang of people will copy it. shyt comes and goes in cycles and dummy casuals/jawns/white party kids latch on to the most extreme. None of these young nikkas are consciously trolling anybody older, they're too bytch and indirect in life. Folks are putting bugs in their ears to make it a thing.
Lil B made it acceptable to be a fake weirdo, too...a basic hood nikka dressed up by a stylist and influenced/encouraged by weird white ideas. It happened before in a different way. People were more connected to the culture behind the music...now they're connected to the aesthetic surrounding it.
Of course they're not going to learn history, they've been encouraged not to. Just like dumb ass run of the mill mixtape nikkas weren't going beyond gun and coke simile x 3 syllable setup-punchline bars.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Let the younger cats shine, it's their time.

Funny thing is, a lot of the older heads when it was their time didn't respect history as much as we they say the younger artists should either.

Some of those same cats are only saying it because they want to get back in the middle of the limelight.

To be fair, even if you're old, you can still make a mega-hit. A great song is transcendent of age and demographics. In some cases, it can birth a trend. Problem is, can you make that song?

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Simply for the fact that youngins sometimes forget that this is supposed to be a culture, and not just a market to sell the culture

Every culture needs the older generations to teach and uphold the tenets of the culture, and the younger generations to bring in new life and energy, while recognizing, appreciating, and building upon what came before them

Hip Hop was once used to transmit ideas, thoughts, information, and experiences, in coded language, to our people, and like-minded others, throughout the world, for our collective benefit

Not just as a tool to hustle your way to financial independence

the bolded is where the system failed these young buls before most of them even knew what rap was.

when the big dogs became oldheads on their last legs, and wanted to still hog the torch, instead of passing it. when instead of fully showing the ropes to their proteges, theyre too busy biting them and passing their proteges' work off as their own, with no real intentions of blowing their artists up. not to mention, the politics & blackballing of other rappers. this culture was dead before these kids got on.

Funny thing is, a lot of the older heads when it was their time didn't respect history as much as we they say the younger artists should either.

the fans as well. most of these dudes upset about the '90s being disregarded, were just as ignorant towards '80s & '70s rap.

i don't agree with the "let the younger cats shine" rhetoric. cuz I'm not cosigning these wack dudes and I'm not patting them on the back, just cuz theyre young and i don't want to feel old.

i'll say "let the younger cats shine" when the true talents get on.

Last edited: