Old School vs New School beef is brewing

Apex

Banned
Daps
Let the younger cats shine, it's their time.

Funny thing is, a lot of the older heads when it was their time didn't respect history as much as we they say the younger artists should either.

Some of those same cats are only saying it because they want to get back in the middle of the limelight.

To be fair, even if you're old, you can still make a mega-hit. A great song is transcendent of age and demographics. In some cases, it can birth a trend. Problem is, can you make that song?
Fat Joe and Remy Ma made a hit in 2016. It can be done.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Fat Joe and Remy Ma made a hit in 2016. It can be done.

I think a big reason why, is they don't have that false "superiority" complex older artists seem to develop. Those two are very receptive people and adapt to time. Make no excuses, don't act like peopple "should" listen to them, they understand the situation and just focus on the music:

Last edited:

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
There isn't really much so Old School vs New School but Wack vs Dope.

History has shown that older heads phraise younger cats all the time. NICE ones that is.

B_iwuDKUwAAa6pe.jpg

big_sean_nas__0.jpg

DJ-Quik-Problem.jpg

1461050856_c99e7a84f0f7386ac7423adebcd450f1.jpg

BigKRIT_DavidBanner.jpg

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This rap shyt is about to be over, I don't know how no one see's this. The ONLY reason why it's still around in such a popular way is because nothing new has been created to take its place, and people will always listen to music regardless if its wack or not. Just wait until some new shyt come out, and watch the people who are in their 20's get played out. Rappers are reaching too much now, for the most part. When antics, and image take the place of the actual skill, its a wrap.

People forget what hip hop has ALWAYS been about, and that is to go against the mainstream. Notice how the closer it got to being mainstream, and safe, the less skill has gotten into it? That's because it was never about appeasing the masses, but forcing the mainstream to question itself, and make new styles that was obviously bangin'. Styles now are not cool a lot of times, from the dressing to the lyrical skills. Even producers aren't being innovative.

Young people have been taught that they are the best thing moving, and the world revolves around them, so they really think they are the new shyt. The sad reality is, once the labels find that real new shyt, all of these artist will be kicked to the waste side, and the fans are fickle so they will go onto the next shyt. The older people let these young people down by gassing their heads up, and having them really believe being young is the best thing to be, when in reality getting older is the shyt. As long as you take care of your money, and health, the looks will always be there, but because you are older, and have knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, you can truly enjoy life. The people who do these things are who you are supposed to aspire to, not some young nikka who barely knows how things go, at least for this generation. In the 80's, and 90's, we had to grow up fast because being naive would cost you the good life, and that is why the artist was 17-21 years old, but rhyming like older people. It's not like that now, young people are babied, and are naive just like the 60's generation who never experienced the shyt they were into. It's no coincidence that both generations are considered the self centered, narcissistic generations.

The only difference is the 60's started new shyt, while this era is just living off of old late 90's, early 2000's shyt because its the easiest way to be heard. They are scared to be different with the music, just the image. Not all, young thug makes good different shyt to me, even though its mumble rap. Lil yachty, uzi vert are ok, but they aren't really skillfull like young thug is.

Getting older is the shyt!

Last edited:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
the young cats in the 90's didn't whinge and carry on about "you old school dudes need to let the young dudes cook" they got up and made their own dope music. De La Soul, Wu-Tang, Snoop, Pac, OutKast. Treach wasn't on the radio talking bout how Whodini & Run DMC have to step back and let us do what we want. some older cats were able to keep up like G Rap & KRS and have great careers in the 90s as well but some didn't survive, like Run DMC.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
@Wacky D already killed it.

Bottom line: hip hop ran out all the smart, principled and passionate people. and now the dumb, passionless people run it. From old to young. Actually, if I have any beef, it's with the old dudes. Best believe that modern hip hop is an old man's game. That's why it's so fukked up. The people with actual power making the culture-shifting decisions are old and seemingly heartless. Like they could really give a fukk about the culture - they just wanna hold onto the cash grab. They'll cosign some 'here today, gone tomorrow' garbage to continue funding their great lifestyles.

NYK Loyalist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listen to what you like. I admit at this point I can't relate to most if not all of the young artist but I don't think I'm supposed to. I'm 37 with a wife, 2 kids, a house and a career. I I still love hip hop though and there's still music for people like me. I like the new De La album, I like the new Masta Ace, Oddissee's Alwasta EP is one of the best projects I've heard in years. It might not be like the 90's or early 00's when i was checking for new albums damn near every week but there is stuff out there and if nothing new I have tons of great music to go back and revisit.

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There isn't really much so Old School vs New School but Wack vs Dope.

History has shown that older heads phraise younger cats all the time. NICE ones that is.

B_iwuDKUwAAa6pe.jpg

big_sean_nas__0.jpg

DJ-Quik-Problem.jpg

1461050856_c99e7a84f0f7386ac7423adebcd450f1.jpg

BigKRIT_DavidBanner.jpg

:russ: all these guys are either in their 30s or close to it. In rap years they are NOT young.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@Wacky D already killed it.

Bottom line: hip hop ran out all the smart, principled and passionate people. and now the dumb, passionless people run it. From old to young. Actually, if I have any beef, it's with the old dudes. Best believe that modern hip hop is an old man's game. That's why it's so fukked up. The people with actual power making the culture-shifting decisions are old and seemingly heartless. Like they could really give a fukk about the culture - they just wanna hold onto the cash grab. They'll cosign some 'here today, gone tomorrow' garbage to continue funding their great lifestyles.

basically that.

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's more like a young and dumb knee grow rappers vs. everybody else thing