One of the engines on a Boeing 737 caught fire just before takeoff

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps

DALLAS (AP) — Federal officials are investigating a reported engine fire that forced a Southwest Airlines plane to cancel takeoff and return to the gate at the Lubbock, Texas, airport on Thursday.
Southwest said Friday that pilots “received an indication of a possible engine issue,” and the Boeing 737 taxied back to the terminal at Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport.

The Lubbock fire department said online that it confirmed there was a fire in one of the two engines that needed to be extinguished.
The Federal Aviation Administration said it was investigating the incident.

The flight was headed to Las Vegas with 154 passengers and crew of six on board, Southwest said. The airline flew in a replacement plane from Dallas to complete the trip later Thursday night.
The plane was a Boeing 737-800, an older model than the 737 Max. The engines are made by CFM International, a joint venture between General Electric and France’s Safran S.A.

Last edited:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I swear in recent years stuff like this and other accidents are becoming more and more common in America

Something is going on. They either became way more lax on certain safety protocols or are letting unqualified people work more.
It ain't got nothing to do with unqualified people. The whistleblower told us they were taking parts from the trash and using dish detergent as lubricant to cut corners already lol.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MJ Jets cry

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
It ain't got nothing to do with unqualified people. The whistle-blower told us they were taking parts from the trash and using dish detergent as lubricant to cut corners already lol.
Umm I would refuse to do that shyt as a worker. If they fire me for not working as directed I'll sue them but no way in the world am I able to sleep at night that I even caused a 1% chance that caused a plan crash.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I swear in recent years stuff like this and other accidents are becoming more and more common in America

Something is going on. They either became way more lax on certain safety protocols or are letting unqualified people work more.
It's not about unqualified people. It's about companies political influence allowing them to side-step safety protocols IMO.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West

its the former to cut costs they lobbied politicians lower inspection needs. shyt is insane

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
It ain't got nothing to do with unqualified people. The whistleblower told us they were taking parts from the trash and using dish detergent as lubricant to cut corners already lol.
Not to mention that a lot of planes are old as shyt. Some years ago I read that it's not uncommon for planes to 20-30 years old :picard:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

Little to no federal safety/quality oversight in the manufacturing of these planes. Boeing is essentially regulating itself in lieu of Uncle Sam saying "You got this, right?" I thought this was common knowledge... :skip:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Umm I would refuse to do that shyt as a worker. If they fire me for not working as directed I'll sue them but no way in the world am I able to sleep at night that I even caused a 1% chance that caused a plan crash.
He did sue them after blowing the whistle. His name was John Barnett. The day he was supposed to be leaving South Carolina to move to Louisiana to live with his elderly mother, after retiring and 30 years with the company, he got a call from Boeing’s lawyers asking him to stay for one more day of talks. He was found the next morning, in his truck with a gun in his hand and a hole in his head.

He had told his friends and family that if he turns up dead, it wasn’t going to be by suicide.

Look at Boeing’s government contracts and how much money they stood to lose…

A list of contracts worth billions.