Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
October 15, 2014 1:54PM
Overpaid Federal Employees
By Nicole Kaeding
With the election only weeks away, pundits are visualizing how a Republican-controlled Senate would impact future policy decisions. Today’s Washington Post highlights the supposed plight of federal workers under a Republican Congress.
The piece discusses House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan’s budget proposal:
Under the Ryan budget, the contribution of most federal employees toward their retirement plan would increase by 5.5 percentage points with no increase in benefits — effectively a pay cut. Ryan emphasizes a “defined-contribution system” that centers on employee payments to their retirement program instead of the current system, which includes pensions from the U.S. government. He estimated his plan would save the government $125 billion over 10 years.

That $125 billion in savings, however, would come from the pockets of federal employees.
The piece continues in a similar vein discussing Republican-supported legislation that would make it easier for federal employees to be disciplined, fired, and restricted in their conference expenditures–all reasonable proposals. It cites federal employee union officials on the difficulties these policies would place on federal workers.

But the piece fails to mention the elephant in the room: federal employees are compensated more generously than their private-sector counterparts.

Using data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, the average wage for a federal civilian employee in 2013 was $81,076, compared to the average wage of $55,424 for private-sector employees.

The big advantage for federal employees is their robust benefit packages. Federal employees receive the largest selection of health insurance of any employer in the country, generous vacation and time-off policies, and both a defined benefit pension and 401(k)-style retirement account. Adding in the value of these benefits, the average federal civilian employee receives annual compensation of $115,524. Compensation for the average private-sector employee is $66,357.

Particularly striking is that availability of pensions to federal employees. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only 10 percent of private-sector employers are offered defined benefit pension plans. The majority of recipients are unionized employees, concentrated in the utilities industry.
Given this large disparity it is reasonable that the Ryan Budget would increase employee contributions to their pensions. This plan was also endorsed by the Bowles-Simpson commission as a meaningful step to reforming compensation for the federal civilian workforce.

While $125 billion sounds like a large cut to federal employee compensation, it represents less than 5 percent of compensation over the next ten years. Asking federal employees to pay a bit more for their lavish benefits is a common-sense reform for the new Congress. Hopefully, Congress will go further and phase-out the defined-benefit pension program in its entirely.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
COMPLAIN ABOUT PEOPLE BEING OVERPAID WHILE NOT WORKING TOO HARD AND THEN GO :manny: WHENEVER THE GROWING DISPARITY BETWEEN LABOR AND CEO PAY IS MENTIONED, BREHS!
the difference is that its our tax dollars overpaying.
That money could be put to better use...instead we are wasting a lot on nonsense.

What a private company does isnt my business.
They have to answer to the shareholders.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
personally I'd be more worried about there being hundreds if not thousands of bureaucratic jobs that exist that should no longer exist due to technological changes than employee pay. there are many jobs that should have been cut a long time ago due to inefficiency, but haven't due to slow institutional change.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
56oDG8i.png

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
the difference is that its our tax dollars overpaying.
That money could be put to better use...instead we are wasting a lot on nonsense.

What a private company does isnt my business.
They have to answer to the shareholders.

So private companies don't use Federal tax dollars? Man, get the fukk out. :camby:

I'm a Federal employee and the last thing I am is overpaid and hard to fire.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
AMERICA'S THREE BIGGEST EMPLOYERS ALL MAKE THE TAXPAYER SUBSIDIZE THEIR COSTS BY PAYING PEOPLE shyt AND OFFERING GARBAGE BENEFITS SO THAT THEIR WORKERS ALL HAVE TO RELY ON WELFARE PROGRAMS, BROTHER!

that is an issue w/ the system and companies such as Walmart.
Nothing to do w/ overpaying government workers/bureaucrats.

Walmart doesnt make taxpayers do anything...they take advantage of the system.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
So private companies don't use Federal tax dollars? Man, get the fukk out. :camby:

I'm a Federal employee and the last thing I am is overpaid and hard to fire.
Yall arent hard to fire? :comeon:
Government employees are a mess because there is no real accountability...who is over their heads worried about the customer/profits? Its bureaucracy everywhere.

What do you do for the government?