Pharoah Monch's "Simon Says"= Biggest song that never was?

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Never was?

I mean it was a huge record back in the day. One of those so big in the underground it kinda made a little noise in the mainstream kinda way (commercial, tv and movie tip). Shame the Godzilla people wanted to come through and crush the buildings with the sample issue.

that's not what i'm talking about breh.

til this day, Simons Says is still an epic record....and one fukking uncleared sample probably made sure he would never get out of the underground.

that shyt could come on in the club...and you'd still see nikkas :ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh: before the beat drops.

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The biggest that song could ever get success wise is prolly Black Rob Whoa levels...and its pretty much already that. Lol at nikkas acting like that Internal Affairs woulda sold Wu Tang forever numbers...if only they coulda cleared the sample FOH.

This... I feel like a Jay-z, DMX, Nas at the time on that track would've sold 10 million records with that instrumental as his first single.

Black Rob killed it, but that fakkit diddy fukked up the video n shyt... A bigger name would've made it legendary.

I also feel Down for my Niqqaz by C-Murder would've had more mainstream commercial succes had it not bein' for No Limits ghetto promotion n again a bigger artist... Still C killed his verse... shyt was inmortal

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This... I feel like a Jay-z, DMX, Nas at the time on that track would've sold 10 million records with that instrumental as his first single.

Black Rob killed it, but that fakkit diddy fukked up the video n shyt... A bigger name would've made it legendary.

I also feel Down for my Niqqaz by C-Murder would've had more mainstream commercial succes had it not bein' for No Limits ghetto promotion n again a bigger artist... Still C killed his verse... shyt was inmortal

Let me quote myself

:blessed:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I have this cd in my collection. My favorite song was queens though, and im not from new york.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZ6Po-9omU"]Pharoahe Monch - Queens - YouTube[/ame]

Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Never was?

I mean it was a huge record back in the day. One of those so big in the underground it kinda made a little noise in the mainstream kinda way (commercial, tv and movie tip). Shame the Godzilla people wanted to come through and crush the buildings with the sample issue.

Simon Says got huge radio play for an artist like Monch, but I think he meant "never was" as in when Rawkus literally started destroying the single pressings and yank radio play, just as the album itself was doing 200,000+.

Before Rawkus fell through via a combination of things hip-hop was looking pretty good with that success and Black on Both Sides selling half a million, and the Souliquarians all putting out commercially successful grammy-winning albums.

Still gets people going too, was at a Slaughterhouse pre-show with just a dude djing on stage, Simon Says came on and the crowd suddenly was filled with energy.

It's still my alarm in the morning too.

I'd suggest you guys read this too:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2004-04-20/news/a-fistful-of-mighta-been/1/

Talk to some Rawkus cats and they'll tell you that Priority, Rawkus's distributor at the time, was totally unprepared for this East Coast boutique label to come up with a hit. Priority thought "Simon" was the artist.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Simon Says" was a big hit...

If a person like me, who really didn't care about rappers like Monch, Kweli, Mos Def, Common and the likes, still got to hear "Simon Says," then you best believe it was a hit...

Dude is a one hit wonder...

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
The biggest that song could ever get success wise is prolly Black Rob Whoa levels...and its pretty much already that. Lol at nikkas acting like that Internal Affairs woulda sold Wu Tang forever numbers...if only they coulda cleared the sample FOH.

You realize 'whoa!' Propelled Black Rob to platinum plus right? I'm both a Rob & Buckwild Stan and I hate that song. But fukk if it wasn't EVERYWHERE. That was one of those songs that invaded everyday life vernacular.

Big Mel just puked like Whoa!

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
Remix is one of my favorites ever. Got it on my i-pod now.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
I got this CD, never knew their was a sample clearance issue. Thought the song was a big hit in it's own right.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
You realize 'whoa!' Propelled Black Rob to platinum plus right? I'm both a Rob & Buckwild Stan and I hate that song. But fukk if it wasn't EVERYWHERE. That was one of those songs that invaded everyday life vernacular.

Big Mel just puked like Whoa!

I loved Black Rob's album, and that was probably my least favorite song on there besides the wack Lil Kim joint.