PlaystationNow feels like Robbery [@Mikey2toes aka MikeydikkBrain is in here crying]

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
Yesterday, Sony introduced the gaming world to their Open Beta of PlayStation Now, a digital game streaming service that allows PSN users to instantly access titles from an ever-growing library and stream them instantly to their console. The idea of PlayStation Now is wonderful in premise, specifically because of the ability for PS4 owners to rent and stream PlayStation 3 games that they might not have had in the past.

The problem with the PlayStation Now service is that Sony, at least at this moment, seems very confused about what they want Now to become. Despite having an undeniably brilliant idea on their hands, allowing the millions of PlayStation 4 owners to rent titles digitally, Sony has dropped the ball from an early stage, demanding prices that are ludicrous to the point that there is virtually no defending them.

Simply put, at this juncture, there is literally no reason to rent a game via the PlayStation Now service.

I say this not from a place of moral superiority or fanboyism or anywhere other than simple fiscal responsibility. The current prices that Sony expects are considerably higher than what they should be, to the point that many of the 100 plus games currently on PlayStation Now, it would simply be more cost-effective to simple purchase the game from a retailer, rather than rent the ability to stream them for any given period of time.

For those unaware, Sony’s PlayStation Now service offers four distinct rental periods, all at different price points. Starting at a mere four hours, users can also rent a game for seven days, thirty days or ninety days. These short trials tend to start around $2.99, while seven day rentals average around $7.99 at the time of writing. This seems innocuous enough, until you take into consideration that many of the current offerings on PlayStation Now are older titles from the PlayStation 3′s library and can be bought for the same price – if not cheaper – outright, not simply rented.

A prime example of this PSN price gouging can be seen when examining Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Kojima’s classic was released in 2008 and is currently available for rental on PlayStation Now, starting at a four hour trial for $4.99. People are always willing to pay for a great game, but charging that much for a few mere hours seems something more like ignorance considering that the game can be bought for $6.99 used from GameStop.

The argument that I am sure will be made is that PlayStation Now is catering more towards those who do not currently have a PlayStation 3 and want to experience the game’s impressive library. While there is certainly some validity to this, Sony’s current pricing strategy seems more like modern day highway robbery than anything. The fact of the matter is that without reevaluating their pricing structure, Sony’s PlayStation Now streaming service is destined to be dead in the water.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The 4 hour pricing is ludicrous.

But the 7 day, month, and 90 day prices are cool IMO. Author must not have rented videogames back in the day. The prices on PSN Now are >>>>> Redbox prices which is their direct competitor as far as these rentals are concerned.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I seriously don't get how you dumb mouth breathers are even allowed to talk, for real breh. Did you all grow up in the fukking Netflix generation? Do you not understand that this is pretty much standard Blockbuster type pricing except you don't have to get your fat ass up off the couch? If you wanted to buy the game, you'd buy the game. But this is obviously for people who don't have that capability. Like if you rent a game at Redbox at 1.50 a day, its gonna probably cost more keepign that for a week than if you just bought it at Amazon. It is LITERALLY the same shyt, except everyone has a DVD player and a lot of people got rid of their PS3s. No shyt PS3 games are cheap on Amazon now. ITS AN OLD fukkING SYSTEM. And a lot of people don't have their old fukking system or never had a PS3 before they got a PS4. This is FOR THEM. Not for the nikka with a dusty ass PS3 lookin like MEHHHHHHRRRR THIS GAMES CHEAPER ON AMAZON.

No shyt, it would be a better deal for people with PS3s to just buy a lot of these games. What the fukk made you think that this is for those people though? This argument is goddamn retarded and I'm never getting the time back I spent educating your stupid ass. Who the fukk is going to rent the games for 4 hours? Why is everyone who tries to "make a point" pointing at that pricing? Breh. STandard 7 day rental shyt. Same price as Blockbuster back in the day. Cheaper than redbox. Quicker than gamefly. nikkas just looooooove to complain.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I seriously don't get how you dumb mouth breathers are even allowed to talk, for real breh. Did you all grow up in the fukking Netflix generation? Do you not understand that this is pretty much standard Blockbuster type pricing except you don't have to get your fat ass up off the couch? If you wanted to buy the game, you'd buy the game. But this is obviously for people who don't have that capability. Like if you rent a game at Redbox at 1.50 a day, its gonna probably cost more keepign that for a week than if you just bought it at Amazon. It is LITERALLY the same shyt, except everyone has a DVD player and a lot of people got rid of their PS3s. No shyt PS3 games are cheap on Amazon now. ITS AN OLD fukkING SYSTEM. And a lot of people don't have their old fukking system or never had a PS3 before they got a PS4. This is FOR THEM. Not for the nikka with a dusty ass PS3 lookin like MEHHHHHHRRRR THIS GAMES CHEAPER ON AMAZON.

No shyt, it would be a better deal for people with PS3s to just buy a lot of these games. What the fukk made you think that this is for those people though? This argument is goddamn retarded and I'm never getting the time back I spent education your stupid ass. Who the fukk is going to rent the games for 4 hours? Why is everyone who tries to "make a point" pointing at that pricing? Breh. STandard 7 week rental shyt. Same price as Blockbuster back in the day. Cheaper than redbox. Quicker than gamefly. nikkas just looooooove to complain.
:sas2:

Ill-Mind

Midwest Moonwalker
Daps
The pricing is cool outside of the 4 hour BS, PS Now should have a 24-hour minimum

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The 4 hour pricing is ludicrous.

But the 7 day, month, and 90 day prices are cool IMO. Author must not have rented videogames back in the day. The prices on PSN Now are >>>>> Redbox prices which is their direct competitor as far as these rentals are concerned.

No shyt, it would be a better deal for people with PS3s to just buy a lot of these games. What the fukk made you think that this is for those people though? This argument is goddamn retarded and I'm never getting the time back I spent educating your stupid ass. Who the fukk is going to rent the games for 4 hours? Why is everyone who tries to "make a point" pointing at that pricing? Breh. STandard 7 day rental shyt. Same price as Blockbuster back in the day. Cheaper than redbox. Quicker than gamefly. nikkas just looooooove to complain.

You are forgetting that those prices are for NEW game rentals. With PSnow you are paying premium prices for old ass games. If these were current ps4 games the prices would be acceptable. But these prices are just too steep. At blockbuster/redbox ect, old ass games cost less than new ones

People including Sony claimed the EA subscription is a bad deal. You get 4 games with relatively recent releases for an entire year for $30. But here people are arguing that $15 for one month with a 5 year old game is a good deal :dahell:

shyt just doesn't add up

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You are forgetting that those prices are for NEW game rentals. With PSnow you are paying premium prices for old ass games. If these were current ps4 games the prices would be acceptable. But these prices are just too steep. At blockbuster/redbox ect, old ass games cost less than new ones

People including Sony claimed the EA subscription is a bad deal. You get 4 games with relatively recent releases for an entire year for $30. But here people are arguing that $15 for one month with a 5 year old game is a good deal :dahell:

shyt just doesn't add up
Breh. Blockbuster charged the same price for new and old shyt unless the shyt was way past old. What the fukk is up with the revisionist history. And you're telling me 30 a year to play last year's Madden and NBA Live is a good deal lmao. The fukk??

And youre my dude Meach, cause you actually game unlike most of these faggits, but there is no way I'm gonna have a real talk about some Playstation related shyt with you. lets be cereal :stopitslime:

Costanza

lord of the idiots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerrys place
bottom line is if its someone like me who has never played god of wars or metal gear solid... im obviously gonna be down to pay 15 bucks to beat them

edit: mgs 3 and 4 i mean...before fanboys head explode

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Breh. Blockbuster charged the same price for new and old shyt unless the shyt was way past old.What the fukk is up with the revisionist history.
The majority of the games on PSNow are way passed old. When ps3 came out you could rent PS2 games for $.99 for 5 days.

And you're telling me 30 a year to play last year's Madden and NBA Live is a good deal lmao. The fukk??
All 3 of the games on offer retail for more than the $30. And came out less than a year ago. Battlefield will still have legs until 5 comes out. $30 for all of that is a steal right now.

Conversely you're telling me $15 a MONTH to play 5 years ago games that can be purchased for under $10 is a good deal. Lmao. The fukk??

And youre my dude Meach, cause you actually game unlike most of these faggits, but there is no way I'm gonna have a real talk about some Playstation related shyt with you. lets be cereal :stopitslime:

It's clear that I prefer Xbox, but you don't see me just running around making up lies and shyt, I'm more than capable of having a reasonable conversation about any product. And the prices here just seem too steep. Sony is preying on the lazy and misinformed with these prices. There's plenty of much cheaper options to play most of these games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
bottom line is if its someone like me who has never played god of wars or metal gear solid... im obviously gonna be down to pay 15 bucks to beat them

edit: mgs 3 and 4 i mean...before fanboys head explode

Being someone who would really benefit from this service, you should demand better pricing. :manny:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

shyt just doesn't add up

How is it premium? Also, the prices do vary from game to game. a 7 day rental on Redbox is 14 bucks. On PS Now, it's 8-10. A month is around 15. You are also paying for convenience as well, and it's still cheaper.

I do agree that older games should be cheaper to rent, but that may have to do with the publishers desired cut. The only pricing one that is totally nikka please is the 4 hour rental. At least make it a day and charge appropriately.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The majority of the games on PSNow are way passed old. When ps3 came out you could rent PS2 games for $.99 for 5 days.

All 3 of the games on offer retail for more than the $30. And came out less than a year ago. Battlefield will still have legs until 5 comes out. $30 for all of that is a steal right now.

Conversely you're telling me $15 a MONTH to play 5 years ago games that can be purchased for under $10 is a good deal. Lmao. The fukk??

It's clear that I prefer Xbox, but you don't see me just running around making up lies and shyt, I'm more than capable of having a reasonable conversation about any product. And the prices here just seem too steep. Sony is preying on the lazy and misinformed with these prices. There's plenty of much cheaper options to play most of these games.
Really old games, sure nikka. But standard big budget games from last gen like NG2Razor or MGS4, 8 bucks for a week is a fair price. :yeshrug:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
at this point this shyt is just dumb....people are complaining just to complain...if you think the prices are too high, you don't have to use the service...simple...also, the stance that 'you can go buy these games for cheaper' is bullshyt because while you technically can go buy the games for cheaper, the majority of people aren't gonna do that....if they wanted the games by now, they would've bought them by now....all psnow is doing is offering them another option besides having to buy....

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
How is it premium? Also, the prices do vary from game to game. a 7 day rental on Redbox is 14 bucks. On PS Now, it's 8-10. A month is around 15. You are also paying for convenience as well, and it's still cheaper.

I do agree that older games should be cheaper to rent, but that may have to do with the publishers desired cut. The only pricing one that is totally nikka please is the 4 hour rental. At least make it a day and charge appropriately.

As I said, if they were new games it would be reasonable, but if redbox is renting out 5 year old games for $2 a day, they should be ashamed of themselves too