Poll: Is it time for Black Americans to start a new genre of music?

Is it time for a new genre of music?

• Total voters

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I'm talking about a whole new, distinct genre of music. Not another offshoot like trap, hyphy, boom bap, etc.

I love hip hop to my core, but I'm at a point where I want some innovation to come about for us. The problem is, hip hop has borrowed and sampled from so many different genres that it's hard to imagine exactly what it would be or how it would sound. Plus this digital age has discouraged so many from taking up traditional instruments and musicology. It's been over 30 years tho, we gotta come up with something. If somebody knows of something out there let me know and I'll definitely give it a listen.

There's a few thoughts in my head (I'm not an artist tho) but I'd love to see a return to traditional instruments, bands, singing (or no vocals at all) etc. That's probably about the only way to make something defining IMO cuz it's so against the status quo. How do ya'll feel though?

None of this is to say hip hop needs to go away tho :whoa: just that a new genre should start emerging during this generation.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I think if we just spend more than 20 minutes writing and making the beat

Avoid COPYING other peoples sounds

Do not repeat the idea of any song you've ever heard. If you've ever heard it said a particular way, never never ever say it too. Think of a different thing to say

A different subject

A subject flipped in a different way

Hip Hop has a helluva lot of ground to be broken. Everybody just stopped exploring and started biting

Daps
So there ain't no mixtape :leostare:
1439053870_eda9b789863d9061d197bcff11e8bdd9.jpg

:smugfavre:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
ideally that would be the best thing to do

but you can't just wake up and start a new genre
I deadass remember reading somewhere that Fela Kuti was at a club in Ghana and they were playing a ton of James Brown and he respected him, but it annoyed him that Continental Africans didn't have a sound of their own. That was the night he decided he was going to create AfroBeat.