Poll: Is it time for Black Americans to start a new genre of music?

Is it time for a new genre of music?

• Total voters

basedlawd

Banned
Daps
something like a music genre doesn't just pop up overnight or because someone wants it to, it takes a series of gradual developments that eventually become something on it's own.

i have no doubt though that if hip hop stops being primarily black and loses most of it's cred then the black youth at that point will come up with something new and different on their own.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
people just gone follow everything we do. The problem is we have to enforce shyt when it comes to our culture now. People like Post Malone out here telling everybody he thinks rap aint shyt, and where were all these other rappers at to let everybody know he's not "cool" anymore? I'm not even saying they have to put hands on him or run up...just make him uncool. And you have too many people handing out "passes". It's just about enforcement. Black people are going to naturally evolving the music anyways, that's not an issue.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
It truly depends:

If you are talking about from a pure "creative" standpoint, then there is no reason to give up on Black music as it is. The issue is that we are lazy in our pursuit of finding what we "want". We settle for what is mainstream but complain about it. It might take some digging, but you can find rappers who can still "rap" and singers who can still "sing". You can find rappers who don't glorify things you don't want them to, but they aren't popular. We let the masses dictate our taste. You can find a new rapper with only 100 fans, but he might spit the shyt you want to hear, the problem is that you will assume you don't want to hear it because he isn't popular :manny:

If you are mad that other races/cultures have entered the genre, reinvention won't really matter. They stole Jazz, Rock N Roll, and they are taking Rap and R&B. We as black people are innovators, but we haven't always been the best gatekeepers, preservers, or the ones to monetize off of our creations. No matter what we do, it will be considered fringe and wrong until they figure out how to mimic, and then it will be infiltrated and watered down.

The best thing to do is to support people who make what you like to hear and put other people on them as well :yeshrug:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I think some younger artists like Khalid and Normani are trying to do that.
One issue to me is that as soon as a blk artist does come out, whites jump on the bandwagon so fast that the white fan base starts to impede blk spaces.

It's hard for me to explain.

In the past, we claimed our music for us and weren't concerned with crossing over into pop to gain popularity with white audiences. Instead whites were coming to us for our music. Now I almost feel white executives are telling blk artists to create sounds that appeal to crossover white audiences, which alienates blk artists from blk support.

Meanwhile the irony of all of this is that blks literally have a claim to just about every musical genre out there. Some of the best guitarists were blk and always have been. Some classic white bands throughout history have done NOTHING but stolen blk sounds.