Power Season 6 (Official Thread) - No Spoilers

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
I just finished going through OG Power again and I'll say seasons 1-3 was top tier crime drama. Season 4 was when the writing went downhill, and still pissed about how the whole Tariq killing Ghost shyt went down, and for that Courtney Kemp is a hack.

I mean just look at this scene which is from SEASON 1.

It is now completely OUT OF PLACE with modern day Power.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I just finished going through OG Power again and I'll say seasons 1-3 was top tier crime drama. Season 4 was when the writing went downhill, and still pissed about how the whole Tariq killing Ghost shyt went down, and for that Courtney Kemp is a hack.

I still enjoyed the later seasons (even season six), but I started noticing something was off in season five. Raina's death stunted a lot of characters' growth and made them worse.

You notice the main difference between the first three seasons and the last three? Tariq is a main character in the last three. Everything is centered around him as the show goes on when he wasn't anywhere near interesting or developed enough to carry the load (Power Book II fixed this problem). And the show went from Ghost being in control to everyone punking him. That's why when Ghost got the nomination for lieutenant governor, it was so satisfying watching him shyt on everybody.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
I mean just look at this scene which is from SEASON 1.

It is now completely OUT OF PLACE with modern day Power.

Nobody comes close in modern day Power, Omari will forever get my salute for how he played Ghost. A shrewd, calculated man who strived to be better and could walk into rooms with guys like Simon Stern and be the one to leave with everybody's respect. The scene with Rolla and after he kills him was another good one from S1.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
I still enjoyed the later seasons (even season six), but I started noticing something was off in season five. Raina's death stunted a lot of characters' growth and made them worse.

You notice the main difference between the first three seasons and the last three? Tariq is a main character in the last three. Everything is centered around him as the show goes on when he wasn't anywhere near interesting or developed enough to carry the load (Power Book II fixed this problem). And the show went from Ghost being in control to everyone punking him. That's why when Ghost got the nomination for lieutenant governor, it was so satisfying watching him shyt on everybody.
Yeah in the later seasons Ghost was written more to get the audience to dislike him more in my opinion. For some reason Kemp wanted to turn the audience against Ghost, and it came to a head with the trash Tariq killing Ghost storyline.

Tasha never wanted him to go fully legit since day one, yet by the end we're supposed to believe Ghost is the bad guy for wanting better, especially when they all knew that.

Ghost told Tommy to be careful with Holly, and Teresi. Yet for some reason we're supposed to be mad at Ghost for some shyt that turned out to be true in both cases?

Tariq is a trust fund kid who wants to be in the streets for some odd reason, he says he has to be the one to kill Ray Ray, then all of a sudden he looks to Ghost to take the weight for him? He says he's never done shyt for him when he lives in a fukking penthouse, goes to the nicest schools, wears the nicest clothes, yet we're supposed to be on Tariq's side why? The Angela shyt is not a good enough reason for him to do that shyt, I'll never accept it.

Then I see Kemp be like "Oh well he put hands on Tasha" foh early Ghost would never put hands on Tasha like that. They went way too overboard trying to get the audience to hate Ghost.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps

Courtney Kemp projected her hatred of her own father on to the Ghost character via Tariq's storyline.

That's why Tariq became a main character and why suddenly EVERY character HATED Ghost.

Then they had him put hands on Tasha on some DV shyt.

Meanwhile Kemp was coming out with BULLJIVE like this

i-dont-know-if-any-of-you-have-seen-these-tweets-in-2019-v0-kmnakhogx1wa1.jpg

:mjlol:

We literally saw Ghost give Tariq a life of luxury along with putting him in the best schools :mjlol:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Courtney Kemp projected her hatred of her own father on to the Ghost character via Tariq's storyline.

That's why Tariq became a main character and why suddenly EVERY character HATED Ghost.

We literally saw Ghost give Tariq a life of luxury along with putting him in the best schools :mjlol:
Her juelzing is crazy :mjlol:

Why the fukk would he tell him all that when his goal is to keep him far away from that:gucci::mjlol:

"Ghost just stood there" I don't think he even had a weapon:mjlol:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
The moment when Power fell off.

This scene was some jump the shark shyt. They made Ghost's character play "Final Boss"

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps

NAH THIS WAS A FIRE TWIST...

THE WAY THEY GOT MILAN
UP OUTTA THERE SO EASY IN THE FINALE WAS THE MOMENT IT STARTED TO FALL OFF.

:devil:
:evil:

It was a unneeded storyline Ghost had to go back to square one with the Milian plot.

Another pet peeve of mine that I always hated about power is the writers would always squeeze two seasons into one.

Mike the Executioner

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah in the later seasons Ghost was written more to get the audience to dislike him more in my opinion. For some reason Kemp wanted to turn the audience against Ghost, and it came to a head with the trash Tariq killing Ghost storyline.

Tasha never wanted him to go fully legit since day one, yet by the end we're supposed to believe Ghost is the bad guy for wanting better, especially when they all knew that.

Ghost told Tommy to be careful with Holly, and Teresi. Yet for some reason we're supposed to be mad at Ghost for some shyt that turned out to be true in both cases?

Tariq is a trust fund kid who wants to be in the streets for some odd reason, he says he has to be the one to kill Ray Ray, then all of a sudden he looks to Ghost to take the weight for him? He says he's never done shyt for him when he lives in a fukking penthouse, goes to the nicest schools, wears the nicest clothes, yet we're supposed to be on Tariq's side why? The Angela shyt is not a good enough reason for him to do that shyt, I'll never accept it.

Then I see Kemp be like "Oh well he put hands on Tasha" foh early Ghost would never put hands on Tasha like that. They went way too overboard trying to get the audience to hate Ghost.

That's what killed me about the last season. All of a sudden, we're supposed to believe that Ghost is this demonic scumbag that deserves to die for all the lives he ruined and all the lies he told. They wanted to do what David Chase did with The Sopranos and make Ghost as unlikable as possible, but it didn't work for two reasons:

1. Tony always had unlikable qualities, they were just amplified as the show went on. Ghost actually cared about the people around him, especially his kids. The only person you could say he mistreated was Tasha, but their relationship was fukked from the beginning. Ghost wouldn't do 85% of the shyt Tony did.

2. Damn near every other character on Power was more unlikable and irritating than Ghost could ever be. In multiple cases, they were legitimate dangers to society that should have gotten the needle (Tasha, Tariq, Tommy, Saxe, Dre). When my friend binge watched Power, one of the things he hated was how much Tommy didn't listen to Ghost and how reckless he was. You can't make me dislike Ghost when he's surrounded by idiots, sociopaths, and twerps.

That tweet was awful in 2019 and it's awful now. When you have to justify your choices as a writer to complete strangers on social media, you lost. She should have never engaged with whoever she was responding to. But since she did, let me say a couple of three things:

1. This tweet is representative of all the things wrong with Power in the later seasons. She really saw Tariq as an innocent kid that did no wrong and it's all Ghost's fault he ended up the way he did. She doesn't sound like the creator of a hit TV show, she sounds like an obsessed fan sticking up for her favorite character.

2. "Ghost left his family for Angela." No, he didn't, he left Tasha for Angela and he even said that himself. He never abandoned Tariq or Raina or Yaz and stayed in their lives. "Ghost just stood there." Tariq ended up the way he did because of Kanan. He was going to kill him until he heard him talking shyt about Ghost, then extorted money from Dre so he wouldn't say anything about being friends with Tariq. The guy admitted that he was using Tariq and killed his best friend (Shawn). But yeah, Ghost did nothing to save Tariq and didn't care about him at any point in the series.

3. She doesn't even sound like she knows anything about her own show. I know fans tend to have way better memories than writers, but what she's saying blatantly contradicts what we saw on the show.

Mike the Executioner

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
It was a unneeded storyline Ghost had to go back to square one with the Milian plot.

Another pet peeve of mine that I always hated about power is the writers would always squeeze two seasons into one.

I noticed the first half and the second half of every season tell different stories, but season six was the worst with that. It was clearly promoted as Ghost vs. Tommy, and they gave up on that storyline halfway through to focus on Ghost going into politics and Tariq becoming one of the WOAT characters in television history (him feuding with Ghost should have been the main storyline that season).

But I'll give Power this: It didn't become a complete clown show like Empire. They ran through ten seasons in one, and most of the time, they would introduce characters or plots only to have them on for a short time and never mention them again.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
That's what killed me about the last season. All of a sudden, we're supposed to believe that Ghost is this demonic scumbag that deserves to die for all the lives he ruined and all the lies he told. They wanted to do what David Chase did with The Sopranos and make Ghost as unlikable as possible, but it didn't work for two reasons:

1. Tony always had unlikable qualities, they were just amplified as the show went on. Ghost actually cared about the people around him, especially his kids. The only person you could say he mistreated was Tasha, but their relationship was fukked from the beginning. Ghost wouldn't do 85% of the shyt Tony did.

2. Damn near every other character on Power was more unlikable and irritating than Ghost could ever be. In multiple cases, they were legitimate dangers to society that should have gotten the needle (Tasha, Tariq, Tommy, Saxe, Dre). When my friend binge watched Power, one of the things he hated was how much Tommy didn't listen to Ghost and how reckless he was. You can't make me dislike Ghost when he's surrounded by idiots, sociopaths, and twerps.

That tweet was awful in 2019 and it's awful now. When you have to justify your choices as a writer to complete strangers on social media, you lost. She should have never engaged with whoever she was responding to. But since she did, let me say a couple of three things:

1. This tweet is representative of all the things wrong with Power in the later seasons. She really saw Tariq as an innocent kid that did no wrong and it's all Ghost's fault he ended up the way he did. She doesn't sound like the creator of a hit TV show, she sounds like an obsessed fan sticking up for her favorite character.

2. "Ghost left his family for Angela." No, he didn't, he left Tasha for Angela and he even said that himself. He never abandoned Tariq or Raina or Yaz and stayed in their lives. "Ghost just stood there." Tariq ended up the way he did because of Kanan. He was going to kill him until he heard him talking shyt about Ghost, then extorted money from Dre so he wouldn't say anything about being friends with Tariq. The guy admitted that he was using Tariq and killed his best friend (Shawn). But yeah, Ghost did nothing to save Tariq and didn't care about him at any point in the series.

3. She doesn't even sound like she knows anything about her own show. I know fans tend to have way better memories than writers, but what she's saying blatantly contradicts what we saw on the show.
This right here, as mentioned it seemed like she was living vicariously through Tariq and used it to put out her own personal issues and vendetta with her own father onto Ghost. And like you said, Kanan already admitted he was using Tariq to try to get back at Ghost, if anything Tariq should hate Kanan just as much if not more :gucci:

How are you so clueless on the established plot lines in your own show?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The moment when Power fell off.

This scene was some jump the shark shyt. They made Ghost's character play "Final Boss"

Nah, it was when Caanan survived that fire at the end of season 2. Fif couldn't help himself and the show lost because of it.