Professional sports Teams who will always be #1 in their city

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Thé Teams who will always be the most popular/revelant/most followed/most talked about franchise in their city. The Teams who are the crown jewel of their city sports scene . The franchises who literally print the most money in their city.

The Lakers in LA, Eagles in Philly, Bears in Chicago, Heat in Miami, Braves in Atlanta, Saints in New Orleans, Seahawks in Seattle, Cowboys in Dallas, Astros in Houston, Knicks in NY, Vikings in Minnesota, Cardinals in St.Louis, Maple Leafs in Toronto, etc

Continue the list

Breh, if Seattle had basketball it's a toss up.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Boston and NY are probably the only cities, major cities at that, in which the NFL teams are at best 3rd. Hell, the Giants are probably behind the Rangers.

Indianapolis is probably the Pacers

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
jaguars. i mean whos gonna detrhone them...oh i forgot maybe gators might be just as popular :dead:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The amount of times I turn off the radio cause of baseball talk. Especially during the NBA playoffs, its annoying, but yea, the Yankess are #1 in NYC
A great Knicks team(like a dynasty type) led by an all time great would overtake them. At least among people under 35 years old. Boomers who still listen to Mike Francesca would still have Yankees number one but I don’t think that would matter

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
A great Knicks team(like a dynasty type) led by an all time great would overtake them. At least among people under 35 years old. Boomers who still listen to Mike Francesca would still have Yankees number one but I don’t think that would matter
I can't wait for that day, lol. I hate Yankee Mets talk

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
NY?
While, I think there would be a full-scale riot if the Knicks won a championship, Yankees are still the most culturally relevant team.
You don't even understand what happens when them nikkas get even close to a W.S. That becomes 100000000% of the talk of the town.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
For NY I think it'll always be the Yankees. The cultural significance eclipses every other team in NY. They have 120 years of being embedded in NY culture. It doesn't matter who wins, after about a week, it shifts back to the Yanks.

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
And Knicks had 90-95.

Yankees being on top is a relatively recent thing.

If we're being totally honest if all NY teams were great at the same time the Knicks would absolutely be 1.
Yankees are basically synonymous with NY.
I'm a Mets fan and a Celtics fan, but I would never deny how many people stan for them.
Knicks are big, no doubt, but they're not bigger than the Yankees, especially to the city.