Rate This City: Day 10 - Houston

Rate: Houston

• Total voters
Daps
thats texas in general breh...i have seen a tornado flood ..sunlight n snow in midland

I've never seen that in Dallas or San Antonio. I'm from Lubbock . The last bad bad tornado was well before I was born. Houston got that new Orleans weather. Don't let it rain past 3 days in Houston ...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

That ain't the first time I've heard that, though. Even white people say that. There are some similarities to LA below the surface, when you think about the origins of much of its black population, its internationalism, its unique local music, on and on...

I've never been but this is at least the 4th or 5th time I've heard Houston referred to as LA-lite---->I've specifically heard white people say Houston will give you 85% of what you can get in LA at half the cost...

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
I haven't been to Houston, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

The girls from down there tho are :banderas:

I also like the lax zoning that allows skyscrapers in random places. that's unique to Houston.
Lax zoning is exactly why Houston got smacked so hard when Harvey came through:francis:

city is built on swamps and wetlands. You allow concrete sprawl to go unchecked for miles upon miles. Nowhere for water to drain back into the earth

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I've never seen that in Dallas or San Antonio. I'm from Lubbock . The last bad bad tornado was well before I was born. Houston got that new Orleans weather. Don't let it rain past 3 days in Houston ...

it has happen in dallas..before..a couple yrs ago...wasnt a major tornado..like a spout...in rockwall ...everywhere else sun ..then a flash flood came then..it started to sleet...

dallas and the panhandle areas are weird...all i know never goto dallas durin late feb early march...u might fukk around stuck in the city kuz of a freak snow storm

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
H Town has my favorite hip hop scene, great car culture, lingo, and a bunch of big fine Megan thee Stallions walking around the city.

Great city

Supper

All Star
Daps
Houston culturally is a lot blacker than the general population would have you think.

Houston culturally is majority AA/black despite them being the minority(%23) demographic

First music scene- Blues

Oldest park- Emancipation Park(oldest in TX as well)

Most popular music scene- Hip Hop

Signature music style
- Chopped and Screwed

Signature car culture- Slabs

Signature college sporting event- Labour Day Classic

Signature narcotic- Drank

Signature BBQ style- (South)East TX, which is firmly rooted in AA traditions

3 of the 10 most popular nicknames, including the #1 most popular nickname for the city(H town) were coined by the urban AA community.
Best of Houston: 10 Best Nicknames for Houston

H-town is even more popular on the ground and in media than the officially recognized nicknames like Space city and Bayou city.

The city would have almost zero identity without us.

We even got McDonalds using the word "trill" on their billboards in the city.

And yeah, far as the AADOS population goes, there's are strong connections between H-tyne and LA, as not only do we share much of the same origins(Rural Texas & Louisiana), there were also many direct paths taken from urban Houston to LA during the great migration period(if I find that research paper I came across I'll post it). Both got strong car cultures, and a lot of our early and mid 90s hip hop was influenced by West coast hip hop(they stole our blues first so we even).

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
The sheer size that this city covers is crazy to me. It covers more land than most of our counties

Houston - 669 square miles

Baltimore County Maryland - 682 square miles

PG County Md - 499 square miles

Montgomery County Maryland - 507 square miles

Houston is a god damn county with some skyscrapers in the middle

Supper

All Star
Daps
Houston culturally is a lot blacker than the general population would have you think.

We even got McDonalds using the word "trill" on their billboards in the city.

And yeah, far as the AADOS population goes, there's are strong connections between H-tyne and LA, as not only do we share much of the same origins(Rural Texas & Louisiana), there were also many direct paths taken from urban Houston to LA during the great migration period(if I find that research paper I came across I'll post it). Both got strong car cultures, and a lot of our early and mid 90s hip hop was influenced by West coast hip hop(they stole our blues first so we even).

Former mayor Anise Parker ridin candy red at the art car parade. lol

_ZgVzS3fzj7vzIyRDthLomBtJIT2S1enpIst1cS3Z5Q.jpg

CCVi_z_VEAA4E8i.jpg:large

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Been to Houston twice (2016 , 2019)

Pros: Food , culture, women, freeways though they sprawl out, feel like the highways here in Sacramento so it was very easy to maneuver for me.

Cons: Summer months (I went both times in January) , roads are fukked up, c00ns working at IAH. Rush hour traffic. Parts can flood easy.

Overall, I'd give it an 8. Great city and I'm open to moving here given the right opportunity:ehh:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I gave it a 6.

Been once, wasn’t impressed as a Chicagoan

For the 4th largest city the public transit is :trash:. City literally just sprawls for miles & miles.

Muggy to the point you can’t even enjoy the outdoors :scust:

the women tho :wow:
don't even come to Atlanta. We aint as big in Houston and the rain aint as devastating, but its the same sheit