Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
One of the biggest what-if’s of my life is what if I had built on a relationship I had with a Spelman lady instead of chasing big booty hoes from the projects and fast ass Clark Atlanta ladies.

Nobody taught me about generational wealth, equally yoked, none of that :bryan:, I was more focused on ass and whether girls were freaks or not.

I dropped the fukking ball :to:

I gave it a 10 :obama:
Lol, I know the quagmire you were in my brother. Clark AU had some real fine women in my day, especially those mass communication majors. Also, Atlanta... Man, Atlanta and the women... It took a mighty effort to not go off course. A very mighty effort indeed.

Peachstate

Lady
Daps
Reppin
The four-hundred thousand
My wife is an Alumna of Spelman College. I have so many great memories on that campus, from freshman parties to classes I sat in on. It is a beautiful campus too, that was accentuated with so many intelligent beautiful sisters walking back and forth across it. Meeting at the Library (Club Woody), to sitting on the benches in Stegall's talking & eating. Being at Morehouse was some of the best times of my life, and Spelman was a big contributor to that feeling.

As you can see from the second post, the school has produced many very luminous graduates. I gave Spelman College a 10. The school produced the love of my life, the mother of my child, and the second woman in my life who has been able to understand my musings about the nature of reality. The first being my grandmother. It has also produced many great sisters doing good for their families and our ethnicity over all.

My wife and I tried to get our daughter to go to Spelman. She even got accepted and received her package. It would have cost us 40k a year, but we were willing to pay it to give her that experience. She choose William & Mary instead to our slight dismay. She did get a full ride to W&M, so we couldn't complain too much.
Your last paragraph is part of the reason I took points off. There is absolutely no reason a school with an endowment like Spelman's should be losing some of our best and brightest to PWIs because of money. It costs less to go to Harvard than it does to go to Spelman.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Stacey Abrams - politician, two time Georgia gubenatorial candidate
Stacey_Abrams_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Daphne L. Smith - First Black women to get a PhD in mathematics from MIT
spelman-messenger_daphne335d0c35f9bd6490bbe9ff0000b1c0f4.jpg

Rosalind Brewer - CEO of Walgreens, former COO of Starbucks
Rosalind-Brewer_Headshot-2-1-1519x1536.jpg

Mattiwilda Dobbs - Opera singer and Met Opera Board member
mattiwilda-dobbs_001-846x1024.jpg

Marian Wright Edelman - founder Children's Defense Fund, Presidential Medal of Freedom winner
409px-Marian_Wright_Edelman_01.jpg

Lisa Cook - first Black woman confirmed as a Federal Reserve governor
lisa-cook-jpg.jpg

Evelynn Hammonds - former Dean of Harvard College
hammonds.jpg

Alice Walker - author The Color Purple
alice-walker.jpg

Moya Bailey - feminist and lecturer; coined misogynoir
bailey_moya.jpg

Alberta Williams King - Mother of Dr. Martin Luther King
Alberta_King.jpg

LaTanya Richardson Jackson - actress and wife of Morehouse man actor Samuel Jackson
LaTanya_Richardson_1.png
My political mentor is from Spelman. She blocked my number when I didn't sleep with her

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
My wife is an Alumna of Spelman College. I have so many great memories on that campus, from freshman parties to classes I sat in on. It is a beautiful campus too, that was accentuated with so many intelligent beautiful sisters walking back and forth across it. Meeting at the Library (Club Woody), to sitting on the benches in Stegall's talking & eating. Being at Morehouse was some of the best times of my life, and Spelman was a big contributor to that feeling.

As you can see from the second post, the school has produced many very luminous graduates. I gave Spelman College a 10. The school produced the love of my life, the mother of my child, and the second woman in my life who has been able to understand my musings about the nature of reality. The first being my grandmother. It has also produced many great sisters doing good for their families and our ethnicity over all.

My wife and I tried to get our daughter to go to Spelman. She even got accepted and received her package. It would have cost us 40k a year, but we were willing to pay it to give her that experience. She choose William & Mary instead to our slight dismay. She did get a full ride to W&M, so we couldn't complain too much.
You and your lovely wife did exceptionally well. Great job brodie. Proud of you

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

This is a beautiful post.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Fair enough but man there’s something about that campus. My cousin Jelissa went to UNC and became a whole different woman. Went from growing up in Williamston to feeling insulted if we ate anyplace without a waiter or machelin rating.

:dry:I be looking at her like bytch you from bear trap road Willamston. You better take this piggy wiggly sandwich
:dead:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Your last paragraph is part of the reason I took points off. There is absolutely no reason a school with an endowment like Spelman's should be losing some of our best and brightest to PWIs because of money. It costs less to go to Harvard than it does to go to Spelman.
Harvard has the largest endowment, and majority of the PWI schools have endowments that dwarf Spelman's. Not just the elite schools, but the vast majority of them.
If you're under a certain household income, the top schools make it essentially tuition free. They have the resources to do it.

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
The flagship of black women and education, one of my homies i graduated with is an alum, i know their network goes deep, and carry some weight, in the right rooms, i wonder how many get to tap into that, i know when i went to spellmo home coming with my roommate when i was in chiropractic school, chicks was walking around with bottles pouring liquor in our mouth, chick low key called us weak af because we ain’t have a bottle in our hand, just cups, she probably some vp or some important shyt now :mjlol:
Perfect explain of Spelman and Atlanta in general. At hump Wednesday tipsy at Thirsty Thursday drunk twerking to Mykko Montano “do it” at graduation with academic 13 cords

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I agree with you 100%. I still gave it a 10 because of what it means to me, but I realize that the price is ridiculous even if we were willing to pay it for our daughter.

Peachstate

Lady
Daps
Reppin
The four-hundred thousand
Harvard has the largest endowment, and majority of the PWI schools have endowments that dwarf Spelman's. Not just the elite schools, but the vast majority of them.
If you're under a certain household income, the top schools make it essentially tuition free. They have the resources to do it.
Point taken, but Harvard also has ten times the enrollment.

I just know way too many stellar black girls who had spelman as their dream school but couldn't swing the tuition/got full rides elsewhere. Couple that with some of the...issues we've been dealing with, and the school is kinda on my nerves a little bit.

But Spelman is A1, it really is. It deserves its #1 spot. My baby is happy there.
Don't mind me, I'm also still stinging from the payment we made a few weeks ago
:mjcry:

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
This profile is very informative and dispels some perceptions and myths about who attends.

About a quarter of the students are first generation college students, and a sizable % are NOT from wealthy families. Some have tried to undermine that success of the school and students by implying that "bu bu but it's all Boule kids from private high schools". Numbers would say differently.
School attracts, nurtures and develops driven young women from different socio economic backgrounds and produces leaders and high achievers. Which in turn brings more resources to the school from her graduates , to be used by future students.
I think it’s a mix but let’s say when I was there out of 10 people I know from Morehouse and Spelman, it’s me and one other girl who grew up single parent home. The others- 2 parent, college educated. A whole lot of Pg county folks

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Yeah there are A LOT of snobbish ass women/men from both Spelman and Morehouse, with an elitist mindstate. A lot of them seem to think they are a different class and level of black person. This is the only negative I'd have for Spelman and Morehouse.
As with the coli and social media, you get to see first hand who grew up with black people and who didn’t at these schools. They push the talent tenth ideology but to a fault in which they dismiss the majority of our people who aren’t at that level.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It costs less to go to Harvard than it does to go to Spelman.
When my wife and I went up the Boston areas some years back, we took a trip to Harvard just to check it out. I did not realize the financial aid you get at these Ivys. They have it setup to where you are not breaking yourself if you have a kid that gets accepted there. No more than 10% of your income would be required if you make under like 100k or some shyt if I remember.

Don't be wary of the costs of a school if your kid really wants to go there.

If you have a daughter and she wants to goto Spelman, make that shyt happen as the ROI in life would be >>>>

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Don't be wary of the costs of a school if your kid really wants to go there.

If you have a daughter and she wants to goto Spelman, make that shyt happen as the ROI in life would be >>>>

Sure, just make sure she majors in something practical. I mean, most Spelman girls get put on to grad school probably so it works out in the end but if you taking on $100k of debt for sociology, you may need to re-evaluate your plan.