Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Where do Spelman and Morehouse rank nationally?

@DrBanneker where is the Howard thread?

I'm staggering the big schools in the series so the other schools can be featured without everyone seeing the most well-known in the beginning. Howard will be another 2-3 weeks and Morehouse 2-3 weeks after that. I had already decided to do Bennett and Spelman together about 1/3 of the way through.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I know this is only marginally relevant but apparently Angelina Jolie's daughter just started there this fall. Hey, hopefully momma will donate :yeshrug:
angelina-jolie-zahara-spelman-mc-221026-825e0b.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
This profile is very informative and dispels some perceptions and myths about who attends.

About a quarter of the students are first generation college students, and a sizable % are NOT from wealthy families. Some have tried to undermine that success of the school and students by implying that "bu bu but it's all Boule kids from private high schools". Numbers would say differently.
School attracts, nurtures and develops driven young women from different socio economic backgrounds and produces leaders and high achievers. Which in turn brings more resources to the school from her graduates , to be used by future students.

I think it’s a mix but let’s say when I was there out of 10 people I know from Morehouse and Spelman, it’s me and one other girl who grew up single parent home. The others- 2 parent, college educated. A whole lot of Pg county folks

I pulled some new numbers from the DB on HBCUs and as far as success for low-income./first generation students @get these nets has a point. Spelman has the highest 4-year graduation rate for low income students (58%), Pell recipients (60%) and first generation students (60%) across all HBCUs. The 6-year completion rate for first generation students is 68%, High income students graduate in 4-years at a near 75% rate.

Again, the only drawback is the cost. It has one of the lower 3-year debt repayment metrics (at 50%) lower than most elite public HBCUs and most of its top tier HBCU peers. Best debt repayment is actually Dillard University believe it or not.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
So the campus is small and outdated but everything else is dope about this school would send my daughter here in the future. Also it sucks when you outgrow the thought of messing with or dating college aged women because they remind you of kids.

Blown Moon

All Star
Bushed
Daps
So the campus is small and outdated but everything else is dope about this school would send my daughter here in the future. Also it sucks when you outgrow the thought of messing with or dating college aged women because they remind you of kids.

Speak for yourself, playa. I don't have kids yet so these young hoes are hoe hoes to me. :skip:Give them a book recommendation and they can't stop telling you how worldly and mature you are, not to mention “you're not even that old”:pachaha:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Building a bridge between the AUC and Africa
Kenyan-pres-and-Dr.-Gayle-on-stage.jpg

May 21, 2024
The President of The Republic of Kenya, Dr. William Samoei Ruto, visited Spelman College on Tuesday to lay the groundwork for creating partnerships between Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Kenyan scholars.

“Spelman has already had strong ties and engagement in several African countries. And that’s why we are so happy to be deepening this relationship with Kenya,” said Spelman College president Dr. Helene D. Gayle. “HBCUs, historically black colleges and universities, are beacons of economic and social mobility for people of African descent. One of Spelman’s many pride points is our impact on economic mobility.”

The event extended Spelman’s commitment to fostering community and strengthening engagement with the African diaspora, with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs. Gayle announced the rollout of a new educational initiative representing the college’s commitment to fostering stronger ties and creating impactful opportunities within the African diaspora, particularly Kenya.

Silicon Savannah is a term used to describe the tech ecosystem in the East African country, which has positioned itself as a hotbed of innovative breakthroughs. A play on San Francisco’s Silicon Valley is a crucial signal toward how Nairobi, Kenya’s capital city, has become a global player in helping shape the technology industry’s growth. Ruto and Gayle emphasized how the focus on STEM education investment benefits both the U.S. and Kenya as they hope to empower the youth, increase the workforce and drive economic growth.

Kenya signed a collaborative memorandum of understanding (MOU) with leaders from Spelman College, Microsoft, Mastercard’s Center for Inclusive Growth, Howard University, Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that signaled the framework agreement to enhance student and faculty exchange, joint research and innovation, aiming to bolster capabilities for a digital future.

“By following in the footsteps of the historic end, we shall empower a new generation of disruptive thinkers, ambitious visionaries and innovative problem solvers,” Ruto said. “And thus divine a brighter and knowledge-driven future where progress transcends borders, transforms lives and delivers prosperity.”