Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Sure, just make sure she majors in something practical. I mean, most Spelman girls get put on to grad school probably so it works out in the end but if you taking on $100k of debt for sociology, you may need to re-evaluate your plan.

no doubt, especially in this day and age. But then again, them Spelman connects >>>>

you might be able to get away with a Sociology degree from Spelman without grad school :yeshrug:

One of my potnas that I met at GT was real smart financially even though he didn't make it at GT. Come to find out his mom was really behind it as she was very adept and smart financially and pretty much schooled him. She passed last year and come to find out she graduated from Spelman with a degree in Economics. I hit the :ohhh: when reading the program at the funeral. All made sense then. Never fukkin knew all that time she was a Spelman grad. I hit him with the :dwillhuh: and he was like "nikka, I THOUGHT I BEEN TOLD YOUR ASS!!!!" :dead:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
When my wife and I went up the Boston areas some years back, we took a trip to Harvard just to check it out. I did not realize the financial aid you get at these Ivys. They have it setup to where you are not breaking yourself if you have a kid that gets accepted there. No more than 10% of your income would be required if you make under like 100k or some shyt if I remember.

My wife went to an Ivy...she grew up working class, high school had metal detectors and all. Got nearly a full ride. They put their money where their mouth is with aid. But money-wise they are STACKED.

The only thing I would say is different is at Morehouse/Spelman/Howard the social integration issues aren't as massive. Blacks aren't isolated in any way at a HBCU. At the Ivy/PWI the Black kids who didn't come from a Black community don't learn to fit in and understand Black people like at a HBCU; they continue to hang with what they are used to (White folks) and so my wife had a significant class/social divide even with some Black students. But there is usually a core Black community at the top PWIs too.

Tbh, if I felt my kids grew up isolated from other Blacks, I would push a top HBCU to round them out. I remember my old doctor when I lived in Upstate NY was a Black woman who lived in a well-to-do neighborhood. Her son went to a HBCU and she laughed telling me he called her the first week saying "WOW there are so many beautiful Black women here".

Like damn breh, you didn't have to be so obvious :mjlol:

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
When my wife and I went up the Boston areas some years back, we took a trip to Harvard just to check it out. I did not realize the financial aid you get at these Ivys. They have it setup to where you are not breaking yourself if you have a kid that gets accepted there. No more than 10% of your income would be required if you make under like 100k or some shyt if I remember.

Don't be wary of the costs of a school if your kid really wants to go there.

If you have a daughter and she wants to goto Spelman, make that shyt happen as the ROI in life would be >>>>
Yea this is big. The connections and the doors that open from the School kind of pay itself forward but yea hopefully a Stem major

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Point taken, but Harvard also has ten times the enrollment.

I just know way too many stellar black girls who had spelman as their dream school but couldn't swing the tuition/got full rides elsewhere. Couple that with some of the...issues we've been dealing with, and the school is kinda on my nerves a little bit.

But Spelman is A1, it really is. It deserves its #1 spot. My baby is happy there.
Don't mind me, I'm also still stinging from the payment we made a few weeks ago
:mjcry:
That happens to a lot of us. Them Ivies, Southern Ivies, and WC Ivies be giving nikkas full scholarships. How you beat that if you are Spelman or Morehouse?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
My ex graduated from Spelman. Never heard her speak ill of Spelman but she hated Atlanta :mjlol:

She has a good job, but that was due to her getting her MBA. She never would give me the amount she owed in student loans.
:mjcry:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

Don't be wary of the costs of a school if your kid really wants to go there.

If you have a daughter and she wants to goto Spelman, make that shyt happen as the ROI in life would be >>>>
My parents owned several businesses so in reality, I was assumed the richest nikka in the school, but qualified for free lunch which take took away from me when they was like, you nikkas rich and pulled that shyt from us but they couldn't pull Pell bytch! That qualify shyt helped big time. All my siblings got free tuition. I had shyt free when playing college sport. Even when you pay, you qualify for shyt like Pell. What was crazy, I had my ex girlfriend who family just surviving and she couldn't qualify for Pell or family aid till they boosted it so she couldn't go to Duke for free which forced her in state for Hope.

Whereas my siblings qualified for every Ivies they got into and that shyt was free.

No lie, America fukking hates the middle class, especially the Black middle class. I wonder what the fukk I'ma do when my kids get older. They look athletic af so I think I can get them all college scholarships but I learned that AAU bullshyt don't work as they just be going through the motions as seniors and just be chilling. I wasn't built like that. I was running the bleachers day and night, weekends and shyt, training with coaches.

I made 250k in a year once in DK and Crypto and lost it all nikkas :mjcry: I gotta do better. That was God telling me to stop gambling on sports bullshyt. Them risk seemed so good. 3k play to get 50k. shyt just seemed like a no Brainer. It seemed like nothing to make 20k in a weekend. That shyt addictive like crack. Even my parents had me setup a profile for them.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
My parents owned several businesses so in reality, I was assumed the richest nikka in the school, but qualified for free lunch which take took away from me when they was like, you nikkas rich and pulled that shyt from us but they couldn't pull Pell bytch! That qualify shyt helped big time. All my siblings got free tuition. I had shyt free when playing college sport. Even when you pay, you qualify for shyt like Pell. What was crazy, I had my ex girlfriend who family just surviving and she couldn't qualify for Pell or family aid till they boosted it so she couldn't go to Duke for free which forced her in state for Hope.

Whereas my siblings qualified for every Ivies they got into and that shyt was free.

No lie, America fukking hates the middle class, especially the Black middle class. I wonder what the fukk I'ma do when my kids get older. They look athletic af so I think I can get them all college scholarships but I learned that AAU bullshyt don't work as they just be going through the motions as seniors and just be chilling. I wasn't built like that. I was running the bleachers day and night, weekends and shyt, training with coaches.

I made 250k in a year once in DK and Crypto and lost it all nikkas :mjcry: I gotta do better. That was God telling me to stop gambling on sports bullshyt. Them risk seemed so good. 3k play to get 50k. shyt just seemed like a no Brainer. It seemed like nothing to make 20k in a weekend. That shyt addictive like crack. Even my parents had me setup a profile for them.
When you not rich but also no poor enough to qualify for shyt :francis:

Trying to save as much as I can since my kids are stuck in that middle ground

AggiePride336.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My wife went to an Ivy...she grew up working class, high school had metal detectors and all. Got nearly a full ride. They put their money where their mouth is with aid. But money-wise they are STACKED.

The only thing I would say is different is at Morehouse/Spelman/Howard the social integration issues aren't as massive. Blacks aren't isolated in any way at a HBCU. At the Ivy/PWI the Black kids who didn't come from a Black community don't learn to fit in and understand Black people like at a HBCU; they continue to hang with what they are used to (White folks) and so my wife had a significant class/social divide even with some Black students. But there is usually a core Black community at the top PWIs too.

Tbh, if I felt my kids grew up isolated from other Blacks, I would push a top HBCU to round them out. I remember my old doctor when I lived in Upstate NY was a Black woman who lived in a well-to-do neighborhood. Her son went to a HBCU and she laughed telling me he called her the first week saying "WOW there are so many beautiful Black women here".

Like damn breh, you didn't have to be so obvious :mjlol:
Honestly, this was me. White elementary, white high school, etc. My folks kept me around black folks growing up, but my pop straight up told me, if you ain’t gonna go to MIT(that’s where he wanted me to go since I was a kid), then I would like you to go to an HBCU. I wanted to in the end. Wanted to be around my people, and in the end, it was the best thing for me. Now, I’m in Atlanta, home in a black middle class neighborhood. It all worked out.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
When you not rich but also no poor enough to qualify for shyt :francis:

Trying to save as much as I can since my kids are stuck in that middle ground
You high up in corporate America but on the low end of how America works is so fukked up.

The thing is, I was once broke broke in DC and didn't qualify for nothing and that was the absolute worst. This is just limiting. I honestly believe, the only way out of this is investing in real estate. That's my next plan with my wife. We can make a couple stacks in six months, then 10s in stacks, 100s in stacks, and just have that shyt come back as residual income. That's when you go to you living next to nikkas like Chris Rock instead of knowing they live somewhere close in the community but where the "professionals" can't afford.

Honestly, the best thing I did was buy this expensive ass house. This shyt already worth like 300k more than what I paid for. That's what really got me thinking about real estate but I need to find my niche. Whatever that is maybe. Maybe some breh reads this, PM me some good ideas or maybe a hot niche and build from there.