Reason why Underdogs rarely win in the NBA

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
I just came across this Vox video from a year or so back explaining the difference in “luck vs skill” in the 5 major sports.

This is pretty dope.

Funny how the playoffs change the data and make MLB the most random fueled sport by shrinking the games compared to the regular season.

concise

Veteran
Daps
this video is all over the place and completely ignores things like trade deadlines and the era of salary caps and free agency. There was a time in hockey where one team won 4 straight, a next team won 4 straights, then a dynasty after that took 5 out of 8.

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
this video is all over the place and completely ignores things like trade deadlines and the era of salary caps and free agency. There was a time in hockey where one team won 4 straight, a next team won 4 straights, then a dynasty after that took 5 out of 8.
Was the data taken from across eras? I didn't watch the video yet, but I don't see a problem with speaking on the current state of hockey considering g that, like you said, things have changed a lot

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Basketball is 5v5 and players play both offensive and defensively. A singular great player amplifies the team so much.

Hockey is also 5v5 and players play both offensive and defensively, but hockey players play in shifts. In the playoffs Lebron James is playing 41-42 minutes of a 48 minute game. Sidney Crosby or Ovechkin are only on the ice around 25 mins of a 60 min game.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Don’t need to see a video to know the answer to this question :mjlol:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I just came across this Vox video from a year or so back explaining the difference in “luck vs skill” in the 5 major sports.

This is pretty dope.

Funny how the playoffs change the data and make MLB the most random fueled sport by shrinking the games compared to the regular season.

the past ten years only 5 teams have won the cup
  • 2018: Washington Capitals, Coach Barry Trotz
  • 2017: Pittsburgh Penguins, Coach Mike Sullivan
  • 2016: Pittsburgh Penguins, Coach Mike Sullivan
  • 2015: Chicago Blackhawks, Coach Joel Quenneville
  • 2014: Los Angeles Kings, Coach Darryl Sutter
  • 2013: Chicago Blackhawks, Coach Joel Quenneville
  • 2012: Los Angeles Kings, Coach Darryl Sutter
  • 2011: Boston Bruins, Coach Claude Julien
  • 2010: Chicago Blackhawks, Coach Joel Quenneville
  • 2009: Pittsburgh Penguins, Coach Dan Bylsma

the past 10 years 6 different nba teams have won the title

baseball is different because it all comes down to pitching. In baseball if your best player is a pitcher at max he can pitch 3 teams in a 7 game series.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Basketball is 5v5 and players play both offensive and defensively. A singular great player amplifies the team so much.

Hockey is also 5v5 and players play both offensive and defensively, but hockey players play in shifts. In the playoffs Lebron James is playing 41-42 minutes of a 48 minute game. Sidney Crosby or Ovechkin are only on the ice around 25 mins of a 60 min game.

not only that there is a goalie, you can ride a hot goalie all the way but there is less parity in hockey than the nba