Reggie Jackson- "Nobody understands the sacrifices i made"

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
The Detroit Pistons acquired Reggie Jackson from the Oklahoma City Thunder at Thursday's trade deadline, and president and head coach Stan Van Gundy said that he's optimistic they've found their point guard of the future. From Pistons.com's Keith Langlois:

"We wouldn't have made the move we did if we didn't feel ready to make it a long-term commitment," Van Gundy said Friday. "There's no guarantees. He's a (restricted free agent). We know we can keep him through next year no matter what he does, but we feel good about making a long-term commitment to him and hopefully he'll feel real comfortable making a long-term commitment here and we'll get it done."

"He's got great confidence," Van Gundy said. "I think he thinks he's as good as anyone. You've got to believe that and I think that's why even two years ago, when he was only 22, he was playing well in playoff games. He's got great ability and he's got great faith in that ability and you've got to have that. I think he knows he belongs and so do we. That's why we're excited about the move."
Jackson saw his minutes decrease in Oklahoma City and wanted a chance to lead a team. Van Gundy is giving him that chance, and he couldn't be happier about it. He's often talked publicly about his desire to be a starter and an elite player, which was not going to happen with the Thunder. After playing well next to Russell Westbrook in the playoffs last season, he became his backup again this year.

Dion Waiters' arrival took even morer time away from him. Jackson didn't like being portrayed as a malcontent, and he was overcome by emotion when the trade happened, via Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski:
"You're my point guard," the president and coach of the Pistons said, and soon they hung up, and Reggie Jackson crumpled and started to sob. He couldn't stop. He cried and cried and cried. And, now, 24 hours later, Jackson was on the phone with a reporter, and it was happening again.

"I've always dreamed about this, and I was never sure it would happen," Jackson told Yahoo Sports. "Stan believes in me, in the leader that I can be. He believes in the player that I can be, and I've always imagined having a coach like this, an opportunity like this, in the NBA."

"It wasn't easy this year, to go to bed at night and think about how you're considered the problem and each and every day, people testing your character. …I couldn't walk last year, couldn't go to sleep without taking pills for my back and I gave them everything I had there.
"And then, to have people tarnish your name … it just means so much to have someone finally believe in you. I'm Stan's point guard now, and I want that responsibility. He can cuss me out in the film room, do whatever he needs to do for this team and me, because at least now I have control on the court. That's all I ever wanted."

After the Pistons' 100-91 win over the Chicago Bulls, Jackson (who didn't play) reiterated that he didn't like how he was portrayed during the end of his time with the Thunder, via the Detroit Free Press' Vince Ellis:
"It's annoying that people can test your character," the new Pistons point guard said in his first comments to the Detroit media following tonight's 100-91 victory over the Chicago Bulls. "Nobody understands the days that I didn't play as a rookie. I'd get up at 2 a.m., drive 30 minutes to check on a teammate to try to make sure his head's focused.
"There were a bunch of sacrifices I felt like I made so to be pointed out as the bad guy? I don't know if anybody realizes it, in 14 minutes I can try to help change the game, but I can't necessarily win the game. It's like everybody expected me to change the culture by being in there for 10 minutes. I don't get it, but I'm past it now. I can't focus on it now, I got to put it behind me. I'm happy I have a fresh slate here and I'm just trying to make something special with these group of guys. Everybody looks like they're happy for each other's success."

It's been clear for a while that Jackson's tenure in OKC was drawing to a close. In retrospect, it probably would've been better for both him and the Thunder if he'd been moved before the season started, à la James Harden in 2012. Now, though, he's more than motivated to produce over the next few months. If he can help propel the Pistons to the playoffs, people won't worry so much about how things ended in Oklahoma City. And it sure sounds like his new team is happy to have him.
For Van Gundy, there is still a chance this doen't work out. If the rest of the regular season doesn't go as planned, he could be forced to re-evaluate his plan to invest in Jackson. This was a risk worth taking, though, for a team trying to establish an identity and build on the good vibes it has enjoyed since waiving Josh Smith around Christmas. Brandon Jennings ruptured Achilles in late January, and he will be a free agent in 2016. It made sense to grab a young and talented point guard like Jackson (and his bird rights) while he was available, and Detroit should be comfortable moving forward with him. It starts Sunday against the Washington Wizards.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...s-ready-to-commit-long-term-to-reggie-jackson

be delusional and think you should start over westbrook brehs :mjlol:

Last edited:

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn so whats in the future for brandon jennings?
but i hope this works out for reggie, this is his big shot
*cues up eminem lose yourself*

Last edited:

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
He doesn't sound like he can articulate his thoughts well. Wasn't really sure what the hell he was talking about there at various points.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
I respect guys wanting to be leaders and have responsibility and reach their full potential, but he does seem delusional. Everyone expected Reggie Jackson to change the culture of the OKC Thunder? :what: The fukk is he talking about? Lol
him and his agent is trying to paint westbrook moreso Durant as bullies.