Remembering Latasha Harlins 25 Years Later

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Was just watching a LA riot doc the other day. I've always been torn on this story. On one hand, a life is never worth $2. On the other, the Koreans were sick of nikkas stealing their shyt and police not doing anything. They really took things into their own hands to defend theirs and I can't really be mad at that :manny:
:pacspit:

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
16 years to probation?:wtf::dahell: The $500 fine was a slap in the face (aka cherry on top).

16 years isn't sh!t for murder, that was the slap in the face in and of itself..

Then the utter disrespect and disregard to Latasha's life came when.."The presiding judge, Joyce Karlin reduced the 16 year sentence to probation of five years, four hundred hours of community service, and a $500.00 fine."

So much injustice in this story. :snoop:

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Was just watching a LA riot doc the other day. I've always been torn on this story. On one hand, a life is never worth $2. On the other, the Koreans were sick of nikkas stealing their shyt and police not doing anything. They really took things into their own hands to defend theirs and I can't really be mad at that :manny:

Can't be mad at their actions, true. But wrong is wrong. They unjustly shot that girl and killed her. And received a slap on the wrist because of it. They had the right to defend their store, but once it was determined what the store owner did was wrong, she should have faced the appropriate time in jail. The sentencing was a slap in the face to that girls family. Even if the girl was trying to steal the juice, to shoot after she was vacating the store was not man slaughter that woman meant to harm her and knew shooting could result in death.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
neg

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Some post-script facts:

Du's store was burned down to the ground shortly thereafter, and she and her family never returned to the area again.

Close to 70% of the stores/shops that burned down during the L.A riots were Asian owned. This incident was said to be the tipping point in an already tension-filled relationship between local blacks and koreans in the inner city L.A areas.

Good.

Big Daddy

Daps
My guys, I am not saying she was right. It was just the tipping point. While the white/black tensions were high, many forget that the Korean tension was just as high too, maybe even higher because they shared the same hood. It was the symbol of "I'm getting robbed every day and nobody is doing anything about it"

You sound more and more naive with each post, and I'm trying to be nice breh, so please, just stop :usure:

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Y'all negging me because I'm looking at this from outside of the young black man view? Alright, cool I guess. Never said my asian lady was right, and a life is never worth that. I think she should have gotten years behind those walls but it didn't happen. I'm just saying I see the Korean mindset in this instance. She snapped, being robbed over and over by ANYONE, not just black people. She finally snapped. And it represented something bigger as you saw the Koreans with choppers on their stores protecting it while looters burned it down. No one is sounding naive, and no one is sympathizing with a killer. I just view a situation from all sides.

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
You sound more and more naive with each post, and I'm trying to be nice breh, so please, just stop :usure:

Hold up you negged me for my comment bruh? :laff: Some of you clowns need an IQ test. There was nothing negative about the comment.

Let me guess you're one of those idiots that believe the black race should be racist towards all other races essentially perpetuating the same prejudices and stereotypes that have been placed upon us, to "make things right" in the world. AKA to make weak minded nikkas feel better about their skin color right?

Big Daddy

Daps
Hold up you negged me for my comment bruh? :laff: Some of you clowns need an IQ test. There was nothing negative about the comment.

Like I said in the neg, you're not slick. Anyone can read your comment and read between the lines :ufdup:

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA

Whats there to be torn about? She was shot for the crime of going to the store and defending herself from being attacked. You cant get more black and white than that

BTW negged