Run The Jewels - RTJ4 (Discussion Thread)

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
What albums are these that Aesop produced?
I loved El-P both lyricaly and production wise during the Co Flo days, his Def Jux day is when he lost me lyrically. He was doing way too much. Fantastic Damage is a hard listen, when I listen to it nowadays I think, "What the hell was I thinking liking this?!" Some of the beats are good on that tho. And I like a lot of his production during the Def Jux days, especially stuff he did for Mr. Lif and Cage. Since Def Jux has gone under I like his rhymes more, not as much as the Co Flow days but he improved from his overly complicated shyt during Def Jux. But post Def Jux he seems to be getting worse and worse production wise. As some have said, all the songs sound the same now. I can't distinguish them sometimes or just don't care to.
Basically, he has had a lot of ups and downs both lyrically and production wise throughout his career. I haven't even listened to RTJ4, its not a priority but I'm sure I will get to it eventually.
It really started with the Felt 3 albums with Murs but you can start with Skelethon from 2012 and work your way down from there (The Impossible Kid from 2016 is :wow:)

To me, he's got the atmospheric, yet thumping sound El used to do and at the same time the frantic, almost genre-bending but definitely rooted in hiphop sound El is trying to do now, down pat.

He's even made his lyrics more accessible than ever so he's far easier to digest than he used to be.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
It really started with the Felt 3 albums with Murs but you can start with Skelethon from 2012 and work your way down from there (The Impossible Kid from 2016 is :wow:)

To me, he's got the atmospheric, yet thumping sound El used to do and at the same time the frantic, almost genre-bending but definitely rooted in hiphop sound El is trying to do now, down pat.

He's even made his lyrics more accessible than ever so he's far easier to digest than he used to be.
I saw he did an album with Rob Sonic, that included?

DeuceCypherUno

knowledge God
Daps
Reppin
Straight out the fukkin' dungeons of rap
El-P's shyt now just sounds like a neutered version of some Death Grips shyt. His beats used to be cinematic and atmospheric.

The whole vibe is off. They stumbled into some success with the P4K hipster crowd and are now running it into the ground.

The whole "I'll punch you in the face" shyt is corny as fukk as well
you sound beta af

Daps
This is the Kendrick Lamar of accessible rap music.

Its not bad... but man... I wish Killer Mike could get this same appeal but ... SOLO :damn:

He already has; the success and attention he got from R.A.P. Music back in 2012 and the tour he embarked on for that album is basically the entire reason why RTJ was ever formed in the first place. All of his other solo albums before that were also generally acclaimed critically and commercially; Monster was a top 10 album at one point way back in the early 2000s. Just because he hasn't done a solo album in a minute or you might not've listened to any of em before doesn't mean he hasn't had a successful career by himself independent of the stuff he's doin now with El-P. :yeshrug:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
He already has; the success and attention he got from R.A.P. Music back in 2012 and the tour he embarked on for that album is basically the entire reason why RTJ was ever formed in the first place. All of his other solo albums before that were also generally acclaimed; Monster was a top 10 album at one point way back in the early 2000s. Just because he hasn't done a solo album in a minute or you haven't listened to any of em before doesn't mean he hasn't had a successful career by himself independent of the stuff he's doin now with El-P. :yeshrug:
I know. I have pics with KM when he was doing that Solo shyt. I loved it. But RTJ just seems like a waste of his talents to me.