Sacramento’s rent control law goes into effect today.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article234987217.html

Who is covered?

The protections apply to all renters in Sacramento who live in apartments, duplexes, mobile home parks, and single room occupancy hotels built prior to Feb. 1, 1995. It applies to tenants who signed leases that are month-to-month or longer. It expires Dec. 31, 2024, but could be extended.

What does the ordinance say about rent hikes?

The ordinance prohibits landlords from raising annual rent more than 6 percent plus inflation, which is currently about 2.7 percent. The city is using 2.5 percent though, a city official said Thursday. That means landlords cannot charge renters more than 8.5 percent more than the previous year’s rent. Landlords will never be able to raise the rent more than 10 percent, even if inflation exceeds 4 percent.

What does the ordinance say about evictions?

Starting Thursday, all tenants who have been living in their unit for more than a year cannot be evicted unless they stop paying rent, are charged with a crime, are illegally selling drugs, fail to give landlords access to the unit, or otherwise violate their leases.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The future of California for blacks may run through Sacramento, I said it before...

Most of us are renters, and not having ownership is a whole other problem plaguing blacks coast to coast, but at least taking measures to ensure we aren't just running (black) renters away because of unsustainable and unaffordable rent hikes, at least this is a starting point...

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Well it’s a start I suppose

Wish this was a national trend

But I doubt it

Everybody is COHABITATING these days

So glad that I grew up in a era where it was common for a twenty something year old to have his own decent bachelor pad

:ahh: the 90s

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Looks like there's enough loopholes in there already...:mjpls:

How bout a "cap" or "no rent hikes" at all until things level out.

NYC has something like this where people who had apartments for a long time are paying like $800 for rent. My parents being one of them still paying $1300 for a three bedroom.

Some people claim rent caps and no rent hikes actually makes cities less affordable.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Well in NYC there are rent control policies which stops landlords from overcharging rent increases while helping tenants in those situations have affordable rent, this is actually good for y'all Sactown bruhs in the long run...

{I know, I know, I know everybody in TLR supposedly own their home with 8 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 5 kitchens, 3 dining rooms & a living room as big as a grocery store. :duck:}

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
NYC has something like this where people who had apartments for a long time are paying like $800 for rent. My parents being one of them still paying $1300 for a three bedroom.

Some people claim rent caps and no rent hikes actually makes cities less affordable.[/QUOTE]
Whys that?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Well in NYC there are rent control policies which stops landlords from overcharging rent increases while helping tenants in those situations have affordable rent, this is actually good for y'all Sactown bruhs in the long run...

{I know, I know, I know everybody in TLR supposedly own their home with 8 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 5 kitchens, 3 dining rooms & a living room as big as a grocery store. :duck:}

Exactly, this is great for low income, and/or renters, in the city (because everyone who rents isn't low income, so I wanted to distinguish that)...

As a Black Californian, one our biggest focuses at this time should be on how to retain our black population. Sacramento already isn't losing blacks anywhere near as badly as they are losing in The Bay, SoCal, and the other Central Valley cities, so we're up one there. So the next progression is, understanding most black Sacramentans are renters, how do we stem the out-migration of blacks and keep them in Sac?

This is A1 for Sac and I support it, we'll cross those other bridges when we get there...

King Poetic

A.K.A. Duke Illington
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SeaBed
Too late for us blacks in Southern California

So many since 98 left so cal