Sacramento’s rent control law goes into effect today.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

@J.V Koba

Land scarcity.

This is why market rent in SF and NYC is very expensive. Not enough space. A large portion of the space is occupied by people living in rent controlled housing or public housing.

This makes the market rate land tighter which makes prices higher.

Basically if you get rid of rent control the market rate rent would be distributed more evenly.

Last edited:

Shoog Shatmi

All Star
Daps
The future of California for blacks may run through Sacramento, I said it before...

Most of us are renters, and not having ownership is a whole other problem plaguing blacks coast to coast, but at least taking measures to ensure we aren't just running (black) renters away because of unsustainable and unaffordable rent hikes, at least this is a starting point...
I was looking at properties in Sac recently. It's so much cheaper than any of the other major metro areas in Cali. If brothers aint owning out there, they need to jump on it.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Too late for us blacks in Southern California

So many since 98 left so cal

Disagree, g. Westside South LA is still 38% black and there are already still some prominent black neighborhoods with high rates of home ownership. The residents in South LA and neighboring cities gotta push for rent control (if you guys aren't already). This is something that could have helped in Inglewood before the stadium shyt, but yeah, it might be too late over there...

Is the weather good in Sac town like L.A. and Oakland :patrice:

Nah...

I'm here in Sac. My rent has been low (805 plus 25 for utilities monthly) since 2012. I wanted to move to Charlotte, but this news probably locks me here for the foreseeable future. All these condos around me are being sold for around 200k, so I've been thinking the owner might sell soon. Hope not

Where you at in the South area?

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Is the weather good in Sac town like L.A. and Oakland :patrice:
No. I actually prefer La weather to Oakland weather also.

On a California scale sac weather isn’t the greatest, but it’s better than 95% of the country.

Winters(if you can even call it that) are usually low 60s to mid 50s.

Summers are super hot usually averages on the high 90s side and some days in the 100s.

Spring you looking anywhere between 75-90

Fall is usually still warm mid 70s to mid 60s

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article234987217.html

Who is covered?

The protections apply to all renters in Sacramento who live in apartments, duplexes, mobile home parks, and single room occupancy hotels built prior to Feb. 1, 1995. It applies to tenants who signed leases that are month-to-month or longer. It expires Dec. 31, 2024, but could be extended.

What does the ordinance say about rent hikes?

The ordinance prohibits landlords from raising annual rent more than 6 percent plus inflation, which is currently about 2.7 percent. The city is using 2.5 percent though, a city official said Thursday. That means landlords cannot charge renters more than 8.5 percent more than the previous year’s rent. Landlords will never be able to raise the rent more than 10 percent, even if inflation exceeds 4 percent.

What does the ordinance say about evictions?

Starting Thursday, all tenants who have been living in their unit for more than a year cannot be evicted unless they stop paying rent, are charged with a crime, are illegally selling drugs, fail to give landlords access to the unit, or otherwise violate their leases.

The evictions part is a little confusing. Does that mean any lease is basically open ended? I think that's unfair. If I have a building and say a niece/nephew from another state moves to CA and I want to help them out by giving them a place to stay, I don't have the right to ask the tenant to leave?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
No. I actually prefer La weather to Oakland weather also.

On a California scale sac weather isn’t the greatest, but it’s better than 95% of the country.

Winters(if you can even call it that) are usually low 60s to mid 50s.

Summers are super hot usually averages on the high 90s side and some days in the 100s.

Spring you looking anywhere between 75-90

Fall is usually still warm mid 70s to mid 60s
Sounds like heaven to me.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
The future of California for blacks may run through Sacramento, I said it before...

Most of us are renters, and not having ownership is a whole other problem plaguing blacks coast to coast, but at least taking measures to ensure we aren't just running (black) renters away because of unsustainable and unaffordable rent hikes, at least this is a starting point...
It only helps people who are already renting there, not new renters

Judgement!

Banned
Daps
Reppin
South Sacramento
Disagree, g. Westside South LA is still 38% black and there are already still some prominent black neighborhoods with high rates of home ownership. The residents in South LA and neighboring cities gotta push for rent control (if you guys aren't already). This is something that could have helped in Inglewood before the stadium shyt, but yeah, it might be too late over there...

Nah...

Where you at in the South area?
I'm in the Pocket

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The evictions part is a little confusing. Does that mean any lease is basically open ended? I think that's unfair. If I have a building and say a niece/nephew from another state moves to CA and I want to help them out by giving them a place to stay, I don't have the right to ask the tenant to leave?

Sounds like it, doesn't sound confusing to me...

It only helps people who are already renting there, not new renters

It's a start...

who trying to live in Sacramento? Get none of the cali benefits (weather, ocean, beaches, entertainment). Its basically a rust belt city that happens to be in cali.

:hhh:

99% of Americans would love Sacramento compared to where they come from. It gets hotter in summer than coastal Cali, and it can be prone to drought conditions, but Sac is alot better for weather than most places...

Plenty of entertainment in Sac too, you just ain't in the loop...

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
So you think you just ask a tenant to leave an affordable apartment without cause? You think someone gives a shyt about your family members and will leave at a moments notice because you need it when they signed a lease? Get real.