Scar Lip realizing in real time she's getting robbed by her label on Dj Vlad

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I hate giving this vulture any burn.. Cliff notes?

But the thread title mad me sad.. Cuz ain't like swizz and a few OG cats represent her?
he tells her that when the label gives her an advance, it's a loan and not money in her pocket....and she's expected to recoup until they profit

and she's shocked

EastsideRio

You Can’t Stop The Rain ☔️
Daps
Reppin
DETROIT (Do Every Thing Right Or It's Trouble)
I'm always in disbelief of these people in the music business knowing absolutely nothing about the music business
These people are young kids from the street. All they know is they want to rap. Life comes at them fast where most of them don’t have enough time to learn about labels or anyone around who will learn so they all learn as they go.

When Yo Gotti gave Glo-Rilla that 500K I remember thinking. She don’t even know she gotta pay that back.

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
I'm always in disbelief of these people in the music business knowing absolutely nothing about the music business
In general young people are never taught how to correctly spend, save and invest their money.

And of course it's never taught correctly in school

It'll never be taught correctly in school because if you teach someone how to correctly spend, save and invest their money you basically taught them the secret to life.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
These people are young kids from the street. All they know is they want to rap. Life comes at them fast where most of them don’t have enough time to learn about labels or anyone around who will learn so they all learn as they go.

When Yo Gotti gave Glo-Rilla that 500K I remember thinking. She don’t even know she gotta pay that back.
Yes and no.

A lot of them aren't just randoms getting a big deal, they grinded, made connections and the right combination of shyt happened all the right time for them to get there. Yachty wasn't a random, he actually put in work before he got his big break, but he still came into the music business uninformed and got hustled. That's not purely ignorance, he just didn't care to understand how to operate the business.

I think a lot of these people don't care. Glo definitely didn't, she just wanted to be famous.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
In general young people are never taught how to correctly spend, save and invest their money.

And of course it's never taught correctly in school

It'll never be taught correctly in school because if you teach someone how to correctly spend, save and invest their money you basically taught them the secret to life.
I agree with this completely

Contracts and the law surrounding them are definitely something I expect people not to understand, however in music there's so many examples of artists getting screwed over you have to be intentionally blind to ignore that.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I asked an AI LLM to compare it to sharecropper deals...

Major label loans to hip-hop artists can be compared to the sharecropper deals that many Black Americans were subjected to after the Civil War, particularly in the Jim Crow era. Both situations involve a power imbalance and exploitative financial arrangements that can trap the less powerful party in a cycle of debt and limited autonomy.
  1. Power Imbalance: In the sharecropping system, recently freed slaves often lacked resources, education, and land ownership. They entered into agreements with white landowners to farm their land in exchange for a portion of the harvest. Similarly, aspiring hip-hop artists, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, may not have the financial means or industry knowledge to support their careers independently. Major record labels offer resources, distribution, and promotion in exchange for control over the artist's work and income.
  2. High Costs and Low Returns: Sharecroppers typically faced exorbitant interest rates, fees, and other charges, leaving them with meager profits despite working hard. In the music industry, major labels may advance large sums of money to cover recording, marketing, and other costs, but these loans come with high "recoupment" terms. Artists often have to sell a significant number of records before seeing any royalties, as the label recoups its investment first.
  3. Long-term Obligations: Sharecropping contracts could bind families for generations, making it difficult to escape debt or acquire land of their own. Similarly, record contracts often span several years and include clauses that restrict an artist's ability to switch labels or release independent work. This limits their career options and potential for growth.
  4. Limited Control and Ownership: Sharecroppers had little say in the terms of their contracts, and landowners held most of the power. In the music industry, major labels often retain ownership of the master recordings, leaving artists with limited control over their creative output and future earnings from their work.
  5. Exploitation and Cultural Appropriation: Sharecropping was sometimes accompanied by racial exploitation and abuse. In the context of hip-hop, major labels have been accused of profiting from Black culture without adequately compensating or empowering the artists who create it. Some labels have been criticized for pushing artists into certain genres or styles that cater to mainstream tastes, rather than supporting their artistic vision.
While there are certainly differences between these historical and contemporary systems, both sharecropping and major label loans in hip-hop highlight the exploitation that can occur when those with power take advantage of those without it, especially within marginalized communities.

Last edited:

Crumple

All Star
Daps

Yo Gotti did that with several artists.

Does he get a kick back for the loan?

Or is it like he makes them sign, and presents it like a spectacle?

Wack100 bought Blue face that blue Lambo or Ferrari...and it just seemed like giving someone debt.