Scar Lip realizing in real time she's getting robbed by her label on Dj Vlad

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her label had her meeting Cardi B before she understood anything about the music business. Right away she is made to feel like a star without knowing how the business works. That's the reality for many artists, the record business isn't looking for an artist that knows the business unless you have a great deal of prior success. The game works better if you're thirsty and ready for whatever.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These people are young kids from the street. All they know is they want to rap. Life comes at them fast where most of them don’t have enough time to learn about labels or anyone around who will learn so they all learn as they go.

When Yo Gotti gave Glo-Rilla that 500K I remember thinking. She don’t even know she gotta pay that back.

Also no one ever thinks about the fact the Yo Gotti, Gucci Mane's of the world aren't as interested in artists who understand business.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
:snoop:
please tell me she was playing dumb in that clip.

she also looked like she was fake paying attention and falling asleep...like a student in a classroom.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thread title is not true. I watched the interview when it dropped a year or 2 ago. She was unsigned at the time. She told Vlad she had a couple offers but wasn't feeling one because it wasn't a lot of money (advance). Vlad was telling her its not always bad to take less money upfront because in the end that's less money to recoup. Then they go into the convo in the clip.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yo Gotti did that with several artists.

Does he get a kick back for the loan?

Or is it like he makes them sign, and presents it like a spectacle?

Wack100 bought Blue face that blue Lambo or Ferrari...and it just seemed like giving someone debt.
Well yeah he gets a kick back and probably much more over the lifetime of the deal

The way they trap them as far as I've seen is usually by setting an arbitrary condition to complete the contract and then moving that goalpost

So for example, they'll give you a 5 album deal, give you an advance for each album (which is the loan/budget for the albums), and then from there take a percentage out of everything you do musically from that point forward. Then they can decide that certain things don't or do meet the criteria to be called an album, decide not to clear certain songs, etc. All type of fukkery to keep you under contract

Corporate bullying, really

Edit: this isn't to say gotti is robbing all his artists cus he very well could be doing good business, I'm just saying that this is usually how those things go

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood
You’d be surprised how many people think a credit card is “free money” that doesn’t have t be paid back. But to be fair, if no one teaches you something you won’t know until it’s too late.

Lol.
It's literally called..an ADVANCE

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Well yeah he gets a kick back and probably much more over the lifetime of the deal

The way they trap them as far as I've seen is usually by setting an arbitrary condition to complete the contract and then moving that goalpost

So for example, they'll give you a 5 album deal, give you an advance for each album (which is the loan/budget for the albums), and then from there take a percentage out of everything you do musically from that point forward. Then they can decide that certain things don't or do meet the criteria to be called an album, decide not to clear certain songs, etc. All type of fukkery to keep you under contract

Corporate bullying, really

Edit: this isn't to say gotti is robbing all his artists cus he very well could be doing good business, I'm just saying that this is usually how those things go

Hmm.

You're right, is someone with good credit sets a contract up where they get a cut that money is the other person's - not the artist.

I wonder if legally the debt is in the artists name.

If it's co-signed, the cosigner is on the hook for everything.

If these rappers don't sell they're ruining their credit bigtime.

Ruin credit for getting some fame.

There's levels to this.

Taylor Swift is out here earning big, true profits while mad vlog bytches try to tear her down.

And I too think she's too much sometimes, but factual business wise - even her announcing her album at the Grammys was a right prepared hustle.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
Thread title is not true. I watched the interview when it dropped a year or 2 ago. She was unsigned at the time. She told Vlad she had a couple offers but wasn't feeling one because it wasn't a lot of money (advance). Vlad was telling her its not always bad to take less money upfront because in the end that's less money to recoup. Then they go into the convo in the clip.
Ok that makes more sense.