Scar Lip realizing in real time she's getting robbed by her label on Dj Vlad

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
What was the line from her breakout song that caught the ear of the public

she doesn’t hold doors open for men or something?

definitely high value content in the days of such notable literaries as “my ass hole is brown” or “you think you the shyt but you‘re really a fart”
I get your point, but Scar Lip is a couple levels above those bird brains. She can actually rap, she just needs to stop trying to fit in making goofy Tik Tok songs.

critical_temp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm always in disbelief of these people in the music business knowing absolutely nothing about the music business
Facts. Imagine joining the military and you never saw ANY movie about war. The money part is the main plot in every movie about the recording industry. Unbelievable.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Her label had her meeting Cardi B before she understood anything about the music business. Right away she is made to feel like a star without knowing how the business works. That's the reality for many artists, the record business isn't looking for an artist that knows the business unless you have a great deal of prior success. The game works better if you're thirsty and ready for whatever.
My professor told me...when I meet art world industry big wigs...don't accept shyt from them. Get everything in writing and never be left alone with the eye candy in the room.

And also never tell them or flaunt your vices.

My prof was a real one when we took that last walk talking in the courtyard on campus. I still bring it up to him every now and then.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Well yeah he gets a kick back and probably much more over the lifetime of the deal

The way they trap them as far as I've seen is usually by setting an arbitrary condition to complete the contract and then moving that goalpost

So for example, they'll give you a 5 album deal, give you an advance for each album (which is the loan/budget for the albums), and then from there take a percentage out of everything you do musically from that point forward. Then they can decide that certain things don't or do meet the criteria to be called an album, decide not to clear certain songs, etc. All type of fukkery to keep you under contract

Corporate bullying, really

Edit: this isn't to say gotti is robbing all his artists cus he very well could be doing good business, I'm just saying that this is usually how those things go
They gon get their money back one way or an other.

The art world the same way with advances etc. Big difference is if a gallery give you $5,000.00 up front for supplies to create, you do the work and then leave the work with them. They get that $5k back from sales and break you off the commission. But they never not accept your work from the $5k advancement to produce.

trap101

All Star
Daps
In general young people are never taught how to correctly spend, save and invest their money.

And of course it's never taught correctly in school

It'll never be taught correctly in school because if you teach someone how to correctly spend, save and invest their money you basically taught them the secret to life.
I'm all for acquiring knowledge and education. shoot Im and back at university, but they never tell you the origins of modern day elelmentry school were to be able to prep folks to be production line workers...

trap101

All Star
Daps
I asked an AI LLM to compare it to sharecropper deals...

Major label loans to hip-hop artists can be compared to the sharecropper deals that many Black Americans were subjected to after the Civil War, particularly in the Jim Crow era. Both situations involve a power imbalance and exploitative financial arrangements that can trap the less powerful party in a cycle of debt and limited autonomy.
  1. Power Imbalance: In the sharecropping system, recently freed slaves often lacked resources, education, and land ownership. They entered into agreements with white landowners to farm their land in exchange for a portion of the harvest. Similarly, aspiring hip-hop artists, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, may not have the financial means or industry knowledge to support their careers independently. Major record labels offer resources, distribution, and promotion in exchange for control over the artist's work and income.
  2. High Costs and Low Returns: Sharecroppers typically faced exorbitant interest rates, fees, and other charges, leaving them with meager profits despite working hard. In the music industry, major labels may advance large sums of money to cover recording, marketing, and other costs, but these loans come with high "recoupment" terms. Artists often have to sell a significant number of records before seeing any royalties, as the label recoups its investment first.
  3. Long-term Obligations: Sharecropping contracts could bind families for generations, making it difficult to escape debt or acquire land of their own. Similarly, record contracts often span several years and include clauses that restrict an artist's ability to switch labels or release independent work. This limits their career options and potential for growth.
  4. Limited Control and Ownership: Sharecroppers had little say in the terms of their contracts, and landowners held most of the power. In the music industry, major labels often retain ownership of the master recordings, leaving artists with limited control over their creative output and future earnings from their work.
  5. Exploitation and Cultural Appropriation: Sharecropping was sometimes accompanied by racial exploitation and abuse. In the context of hip-hop, major labels have been accused of profiting from Black culture without adequately compensating or empowering the artists who create it. Some labels have been criticized for pushing artists into certain genres or styles that cater to mainstream tastes, rather than supporting their artistic vision.
While there are certainly differences between these historical and contemporary systems, both sharecropping and major label loans in hip-hop highlight the exploitation that can occur when those with power take advantage of those without it, especially within marginalized communities.
A LLM model produced that?..... shyt I'm about to have a degree and not be employable...... though I know that these AI models are shytty at matyematics so I may still eat... :ahh:

Daps
In general young people are never taught how to correctly spend, save and invest their money.

And of course it's never taught correctly in school

It'll never be taught correctly in school because if you teach someone how to correctly spend, save and invest their money you basically taught them the secret to life.

I was fortunate enough to take an Investing in Your Future course during my senior year in high school.

There were less than ten students in the class :mjcry:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
This is what happens when you deal with kids/people who didn't care about rap a year before blowing up off clout.

The horror stories of the 80s/90s were unfortunate casualties of the growth of the genre bringing uncharted territory but anybody who spent their formative years wanting to rap for a living has 40 years of history to tell them about the business. They may not know all but they'd know the deal they signed is money to be recouped.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
A LLM model produced that?..... shyt I'm about to have a degree and not be employable...... though I know that these AI models are shytty at matyematics so I may still eat... :ahh:

yeah this was my prompt "explain how major label loans with hip hop artists are like sharecropper deals black americans were given." using Qwen1.5-72B-chat LLM.

they weren't initially designed to do math but thats an area thats seeing constant improvement.

also google Gemini Ultra is beign released today so try it on some math problems you may have tried before to see if it improved.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
These people are young kids from the street. All they know is they want to rap. Life comes at them fast where most of them don’t have enough time to learn about labels or anyone around who will learn so they all learn as they go.

When Yo Gotti gave Glo-Rilla that 500K I remember thinking. She don’t even know she gotta pay that back.
This don't cut it man. You really can't have any excuses.

Not 50 years into a genre. It's wilful ignorance not to be curios to question and learn. It's character flaw. Not something kids do or because they "didn't have time" they don't have attention nor interest.

EastsideRio

You Can’t Stop The Rain ☔️
Daps
Reppin
DETROIT (Do Every Thing Right Or It's Trouble)
This don't cut it man. You really can't have any excuses.

Not 50 years into a genre. It's wilful ignorance not to be curios to question and learn. It's character flaw. Not something kids do or because they "didn't have time" they don't have attention nor interest.
You are right you can’t have any excuses and are not supposed to but in real life people have excuses and make mistakes early on breh. :yeshrug:

Welcome to reality.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
It's a loan with gratuity and added expenses from labels. This is why smart artist go indie and manage other artist.

We give too much credit to rappers being indy, because a lot of them probably would benefit more from the services a label does provide.

Not to mention, actively avoiding labels and having a poor work ethic/social skills is how you end up pushing conspiracy theories about why you didn't blow up.