Six Ways Single Mothers Can Raise A Sorry Black Man

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stroll? I grew up in Southwest Atlanta and taught at the high schools there. I'm a product of the streets. And just because the inner city is fukked up doesn't give us the right to attack the blacks for situations that the majority did not cause. Its backwards thinking and detrimental. So you criticize blacks, ok. Then what? Nothing. shyt continues. You point out problems, offer solutions, and try to build a re-education module through various means and people will respond. I knwo this because I've done it. But there aren't enough educated brothers and sisters giving their time and effort to do this. Agency is key. Belittling black folks like this bullshyt article only creates resentment and alienation. Its what whites and neo-conservatives want. Division: we are better than them because we did this and they didn't. Pure bullshyt logic. Get in the trenches, get to work, and let's teach counterhegemonic strategies to clean up the mess that white supremacy and corporatism have caused.

i'm curious what type of re-education "modules" you used that cause people to turn things around?

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
i'm curious what type of re-education "modules" you used that cause people to turn things around?

While teaching in Atlanta Public Schools, I was one of the teachers in the all Male Leadershsip academy where we chose at-risk males to work with them and their parents to prepare for the future. of course, the school only wanted these black boys to pass the bullshyt graduation test and kick them out into the world; but me and a few other teachers made this program extremely beneficial. We hosted these Saturday meetings once a month at the school with parents and students and did workshops on communication skills, household skills, and black history. My component was the black history where I taught backwards-I showed them the recent data and trends of the black majority and how they came to exist (unemployment, incarceration, etc...I basically told showed them how white hegemony works at all levels.). The Saturday sessions were a success and I still get emails from parents and former students on books they are reading and different things they are starting to do.

Weekly, when students perform bad in the classroom, we had a great counselor that stayed in their asses and the parent's asses. Some parents did not have phones, so we emailed, called cell phones, had meetings to discuss strategies to better educating thee kids at home. Some of the students came in on the elementary school reading level, so I translated some works about black history into easier to read texts and gave the parents assignments to do with the student. That way, the students and the parents both got re-educated about the socioeconomic conditions...

We did other stuff too like had bootcamps for math for both students and parents; we sent pamphlets home for parents who wanted to look at enrolling in college themselves; we sometimes taught life skills during our planning periods like changing tires, using tools, what to do if you are pulled over, etc. My favorite thing I did was start a lecture series where we got blacks from all over the city that promote progress to come and speak to the boys. That went really well and they are still doing it today I heard.

Those were just initial things we did but they can continue in the community as well but people need to stop pointing the finger at blacks and get their asses in the community and engage in social movements to BOTH CRITIQUE AND HELP, not just critique

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While teaching in Atlanta Public Schools, I was one of the teachers in the all Male Leadershsip academy where we chose at-risk males to work with them and their parents to prepare for the future. of course, the school only wanted these black boys to pass the bullshyt graduation test and kick them out into the world; but me and a few other teachers made this program extremely beneficial. We hosted these Saturday meetings once a month at the school with parents and students and did workshops on communication skills, household skills, and black history. My component was the black history where I taught backwards-I showed them the recent data and trends of the black majority and how they came to exist (unemployment, incarceration, etc...I basically told showed them how white hegemony works at all levels.). The Saturday sessions were a success and I still get emails from parents and former students on books they are reading and different things they are starting to do.

Weekly, when students perform bad in the classroom, we had a great counselor that stayed in their asses and the parent's asses. Some parents did not have phones, so we emailed, called cell phones, had meetings to discuss strategies to better educating thee kids at home. Some of the students came in on the elementary school reading level, so I translated some works about black history into easier to read texts and gave the parents assignments to do with the student. That way, the students and the parents both got re-educated about the socioeconomic conditions...

We did other stuff too like had bootcamps for math for both students and parents; we sent pamphlets home for parents who wanted to look at enrolling in college themselves; we sometimes taught life skills during our planning periods like changing tires, using tools, what to do if you are pulled over, etc. My favorite thing I did was start a lecture series where we got blacks from all over the city that promote progress to come and speak to the boys. That went really well and they are still doing it today I heard.

Those were just initial things we did but they can continue in the community as well but people need to stop pointing the finger at blacks and get their asses in the community and engage in social movements to BOTH CRITIQUE AND HELP, not just critique

:obama:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I agree with you, but my only point is that we can teach responsibility in more productive ways. We can teach the history of the problems, the complexity of them, and the causation solely so we avoid making the same mistake again and when the whites try to create a new form of racial oppression, we can recognize the signs and hinder their bullshyt before it becomes too massive. We can practice solutions and strategies starting at a young age and condition those manners for decades. I'm not arguing that these are things we must not discuss, because we have to. They are serious problems. But what's the point in trying to solve issues without re-educating the people the right way about the causation? We can't be backwards. The history of the problems are essential to developing progressive and counterhegemonic solutions. I'm only arguing that the way OP article does it is non-productive. Bill Cosby tried the same rant back in the late 90s by using condescending language and tone...Farrakhan does the same thing...it doesn't work because its alot of loud noise and yes most people will feel insulted. All I'm saying is that there are different strategies to address these issues but neo-conservative rhetoric does absolutely nothing for progress; its creates more resentment and alienation among the black classes which is what neo conservatives and people who wrote stuff like the OP really want.
That I can 100% on agree on. A new and effective approach and the true teaching of the histories of these problems are what is needed to begin change. No one likes to belittled. What is different is morality was taught universally and people felt shame. Most people do not feel shame about anything because we became too liberal of a society and too forgiving.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps

This what I wanted to do as an educator. I was a high school dropout now pursuing my master's and wanted to promote entrepreneurship outside of selling drugs. I commend those efforts.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
im working on a natural hair moisturizer & sealer, but that's not going to fix community problems. :comeon:

Are you saying having black women go natural ain't gonna fix the community problems?

If so why do complain so much about it :what:?

edit: and how old are you? you make a hundred thousand sound like 100 million

I'm 31 and I know 100k ain't a lot. If you remember, you were the one that said you can't be a leader if you don't have the financial resources. I then asked you how did Malcolm, Martin, Medgar Evars, Kwame Ture, Garvey, and Delaney do it when you had more money in the bank than all of them combined but you dodged that question :mjpls:

As I stated initially, money ain't the issue. The issue is all nikkas like to do talk and complain, but never wanna do shyt. If you're not gonna do shyt for the community when you have $100 in the bank, you're more than likely ain't gonna do shyt when you got 100 million either.

Unless you're whole goal is to just troll online, in which case.............:youngsabo:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Real shyt by the TS. But blacks hate to be criticized, so expect a lot of c00n allegations to be thrown around.

Are y'all criticizing or y'all taking petty jabs at black women because you're upset about bytches in the 90s going on Ricki Lake :pachaha:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are you saying having black women go natural ain't gonna fix the community problems?

If so why do complain so much about it :what:?

because no one likes funky hair hats except the women who wear them

I'm 31 and I know 100k ain't a lot. If you remember, you were the one that said you can't be a leader if you don't have the financial resources.

leader of your relationships, lets not blend arguments.

I then asked you how did Malcolm, Martin, Medgar Evars, Kwame Ture, Garvey, and Delaney do it when you had more money in the bank than all of them combined but you dodged that question :mjpls:

nah, i answered you, just wasnt to your satisfaction. but since you believe its your responsibility to fix the BC, and money doesnt matter anyway. why arent you working towards being the next civil rights leader?

As I stated initially, money ain't the issue. The issue is all nikkas like to do talk and complain, but never wanna do shyt. If you're not gonna do shyt for the community when you have $100 in the bank, you're more than likely ain't gonna do shyt when you got 100 million either.
what can be done to fix the BC w/o resources? hey, how about we go into business and open up a grocery store. we'll be able to employ dozens of blacks, and keep the community eating healthy food. i only need about 10 other black men to contribute 75k each. you with me? nah bruh, we cant use hidden colors knowledge as currency, i need greenbacks; you ready?

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
This article reeks of black neo-conservatism :madjules: While some of the info may be good advice, the tone in which it is wrote is condescending and seems to point all fingers at women; Why not write the article in the positive point of view and highlight the great things black mothers CAN DO and DO to raise successful black men? Maybe I'm being too analytical, but this article just rubs me the wrong way
I was a bout to rep you but I must have repped you before. :salute:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
This what I wanted to do as an educator. I was a high school dropout now pursuing my master's and wanted to promote entrepreneurship outside of selling drugs. I commend those efforts.

Breh its all good you can still do it...plus you can relate to multiple levels of people so always remember that! Congrats on your success too! Love seeing brothers who kept going and didn't give up trying to do something! :lebronsalute: