Spike Lee Goes in: "Django is disrespectful to my ancestors".....

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
I watch movies to be entertained and documentaries to learn.

Never confuse the two.

Spike would be better off securing funding, to film a documentary exploring the slave trade- warts and all. No bs, just the truth.

That would be truly epic and help heal racial issues in 21st century America.

You sound like a moron. How about you read a book to learn?

A so called "Documentary" is far from an ideal place to learn anything, read a book on the subject if you actually care to learn anything

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
No your the fukking idiot. Spike has every right to criticize this filth without even setting foot in a theatre, simply because he has all the facts he needs to make a valid opinion on the subject. I've never seen Birth of a Nation, but based on what I have heard on the film, as well as the brief snippets here and there, im confident that i'll find the entire movie trash. I'm sure Spike has made the same deductions by the filth that he has seen so far in TV commercials and previews and shyt.

I know I have. I'll let the c00ns and crackas enjoy themselves in the theatre on Christmas Day with this demonic filth.

I'll be seeing Le Mis...:salute:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishBrother

Bubblin' in Dublin
Daps
You sound like a moron. How about you read a book to learn?

A so called "Documentary" is far from an ideal place to learn anything, read a book on the subject if you actually care to learn anything

I am talking about my viewing material.:comeon:

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
I'm gonna see this movie to show support and see this movie...........Its just a fukking movie....actors playing a fukking role......Why people gotta be so sensitive all the time

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Just so people know Spike's next two movies are a remake of "Old Boy" which is a Japanese Manga that was made into a Korean Film that's considered a Classic. Then he's doing "THE RIOTS" which is a full length movie about the L.A. Riots. As for people telling Spike to shut up. Spike is entitled to his opinion, even if he hasn't seen it. Maybe Spike feels Slavery isn't a subject matter to turn into some Blaxplotation spaghetti western. If you watch the trailer it does come off comical for such a serious subject matter.

The Horrors of Slavery means humor shouldn't be apart of it in no way shape or form in my opinion and I think that's what Spike is getting at. When he got on Clint Eastwood for lack of Blacks in World War II he was correct. When he got on QT for his overuse of the "N-word" he was also correct. People love to get on Spike when he speaks the truth on Race Issue in Hollywood.

As for Spike making a slave movie himself, not happening, he won't get funding. My biggest issue with "Django" is a Black Director could not get the same film green lit. Also if a Black Director took on the Holocaust in a "Comedic" type fashion he would be ran out of Hollywood. When Steven Spielberg did "Color Purple and Amistad" at least he made sure to try and be as historical accurate about Black Culture. "Django" comes off as QT trying to again make it a Blaxploation. I don't know again I won't judge until I see it but people love to get on Spike when he speaks the truth about Hollywood constant racism and stereotyping with Black history and stories.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
No your the fukking idiot. Spike has every right to criticize this filth without even setting foot in a theatre, simply because he has all the facts he needs to make a valid opinion on the subject. I've never seen Birth of a Nation, but based on what I have heard on the film, as well as the brief snippets here and there, im confident that i'll find the entire movie trash. I'm sure Spike has made the same deductions by the filth that he has seen so far in TV commercials and previews and shyt.

I know I have. I'll let the c00ns and crackas enjoy themselves in the theatre on Christmas Day with this demonic filth.

I'll be seeing Le Mis...:salute:

:tellmemore:

Please, enlighten me on what you know about this film, a priori, made without seeing one bit of it, by a director known for masking the true nature of his films in his trailers.

The ignorance that is being spewed about a film on slavery just because it's not dreary "historical" drama and not done by a Black man is vile and hypocritical. If it is a poor rendition, let that decision be made after one has seen and examined it, not based on illusions of what art of this type should be and false arguments made from false problems. Nobody would be saying this if a Black man were making a film about stereotypically "white" history

(Note: There are reasons why there should be concerns about a white man making a film about stereotypically "Black" history, but none of them have been mentioned anywhere on this forum or by Spike Lee. And even then they have the right to do so: It's their history as much as it is ours, as much as we don't like to admit it).

And if you MUST be reassured about Django and Schultz's cinematic relationship, watch the trailer very, VERY closely for what seems to be a split-second incongruence. It might be nothing, but it's worth noting. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
I come in expecting to see some well thought out criticism, instead its "I ain't watching that trash". That's cool and all but how is he going in on it exactly? He ain't saying nothing that the average coli poster hasn't said :yeshrug:

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon:

Perhaps one of the dumbest posts I've read on here in a while. Go read a book.

this is funny.

what has spike lee done lately that is attention worthy besides appearing at knicks games? dude is mad because nobody is checking out his recent movie once again about the "brooklyn experience".

trill talk, i think it's funny how spike always has something to say about other directors works BUT truth be told, dude pretty much has made the same film with a different name for the past 20 years. :mindblown: he's quick to call tyler perry a sellout BUT yet tyler perry is opening more doors for black people in hollywood than spike has done in the last 20 years. dude wonders why he never blew up and he's bitter about it too.

i'd understand if spike lee was one of those guys that was really pushing and etc. i mean damn.. at least tyler perry owns his own studio. wtf has spike done all these years? i notice spike has a problem with other folks shining and shyt.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
:tellmemore:

Please, enlighten me on what you know about this film, a priori, made without seeing one bit of it, by a director known for masking the true nature of his films in his trailers.

The ignorance that is being spewed about a film on slavery just because it's not dreary "historical" drama and not done by a Black man is vile and hypocritical. If it is a poor rendition, let that decision be made after one has seen and examined it, not based on illusions of what art of this type should be and false arguments made from false problems. Nobody would be saying this if a Black man were making a film about stereotypically "white" history

(Note: There are reasons why there should be concerns about a white man making a film about stereotypically "Black" history, but none of them have been mentioned anywhere on this forum or by Spike Lee. And even then they have the right to do so: It's their history as much as it is ours, as much as we don't like to admit it).

And if you MUST be reassured about Django and Schultz's cinematic relationship, watch the trailer very, VERY closely for what seems to be a split-second incongruence. It might be nothing, but it's worth noting. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

First of all, stop putting words in my mouth to bolster your weak ass argument. Never have I said Quentin can't make a movie about slavery because he is white. Quentin can't make a movie about slavery because he is a JACKASS. His movies are crap and he makes light of very serious topics. Slavery has people fukked up TO THIS VERY DAY, so making campy movies that make light of the seriousness that is slavery are all bullshyt as far as I'm concerned. An excellent movie made by a WHITE MAN about slavery named AMISTAD is probably one of my all time favorite movies. So stop with the weak ass arguments based solely on skin color.

Next thing they'll be putting slavery on ICE! Shouts out to Paul Mooney..:salute:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Just so people know Spike's next two movies are a remake of "Old Boy" which is a Japanese Manga that was made into a Korean Film that's considered a Classic. Then he's doing "THE RIOTS" which is a full length movie about the L.A. Riots. As for people telling Spike to shut up. Spike is entitled to his opinion, even if he hasn't seen it. Maybe Spike feels Slavery isn't a subject matter to turn into some Blaxplotation spaghetti western. If you watch the trailer it does come off comical for such a serious subject matter.

The Horrors of Slavery means humor shouldn't be apart of it in no way shape or form in my opinion and I think that's what Spike is getting at. When he got on Clint Eastwood for lack of Blacks in World War II he was correct. When he got on QT for his overuse of the "N-word" he was also correct. People love to get on Spike when he speaks the truth on Race Issue in Hollywood.

As for Spike making a slave movie himself, not happening, he won't get funding. My biggest issue with "Django" is a Black Director could not get the same film green lit. Also if a Black Director took on the Holocaust in a "Comedic" type fashion he would be ran out of Hollywood. When Steven Spielberg did "Color Purple and Amistad" at least he made sure to try and be as historical accurate about Black Culture. "Django" comes off as QT trying to again make it a Blaxploation. I don't know again I won't judge until I see it but people love to get on Spike when he speaks the truth about Hollywood constant racism and stereotyping with Black history and stories.

Just so you know, I hate when people do this. Make a judgment about something and then qualify it to soften the blow, as if that speech act was not what came from their hands. When you say things like that, you're really just saying the unqualified phrase and sticking a meaningless utterance next to it. Same thing with "in my opinion" or "I believe". It's the same as just saying all that comes beyond that.

And I feel that if you can't find SOME perverse humor in Klansmen not being effective bigots and lynchers because their eyeholes were cut out poorly on their masks, then, to turn the phrase of a famous philosopher, that's your misery.

(Also, stating that THIS is the historical issue to not touch or implying that you can't understand something in both humorous and serious contexts, or that those contexts should be separated and bivalent, or that those are the only two contexts to see something in, is a false problem and is inherently ridiculous.)

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps

Spike should have started his own studio back then instead of running to the major film companies to get funding and distribution. He's been in Hollywood long enough to know how it works.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla

Spike Lee would be the perfect director to make a movie about the Haitian Revolution, but Hollywood probably won't let that happen. If a white director did such a movie, it would be spun to make a white male the main character who helps the slaves get freedom, making the white man the hero makes white people feel not as guilty about their ugly past.

"Django" just like "inglorious b*stards" is a fictional movie, it has no real basis. Why not make a "Nat Turner" movie? White people are not trying to see that.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
First of all, stop putting words in my mouth to bolster your weak ass argument. Never have I said Quentin can't make a movie about slavery because he is white. Quentin can't make a movie about slavery because he is a JACKASS. His movies are crap and he makes light of very serious topics. Slavery has people fukked up TO THIS VERY DAY, so making campy movies that make light of the seriousness that is slavery are all bullshyt as far as I'm concerned. An excellent movie made by a WHITE MAN about slavery named AMISTAD is probably one of my all time favorite movies. So stop with the weak ass arguments based solely on skin color.

Next thing they'll be putting slavery on ICE! Shouts out to Paul Mooney..:salute:

You didn't enlighten me on what you knew about this film, though. Which was my main question. What do you know about THIS film?

More films need to be made by jackasses in America anyway.

Oh, and no one was in arms when Chappelle made light of Slavery in his sketches, so there's that argument too. The mere existence of Slavery and its continued effects don't exempt it from being something other than dreary "historical" drama.