Stephen Curry vs Magic Johnson

Better player?

• Total voters
Daps
It's seems to me that people think points are the only stats :francis:
It's more important to see how many points on how many shots he had, rather than just marginalizing it to that. Especially considering how he warped defensive schemes with all the easy looks and points he generated for his teammates after all the defensive attention he received - which was more than any other perimeter player in history (the attention I'm talking about).

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
I'm glad I didn't go full turn on this Curry GOAT shyt... Goddamn... looking back only a couple months, people were really going overboard with the hype

Russ is systematically annihilating dude and we got threads comparing him to Mike & Magic :why:

Why overboard? This is how dominant he was in the RS - producing at a level on par with Magic and Jordan. There are only a handful of players you can ever say that about regardless of stage. Had he not gotten injured we likely would've saw a dominant performance in the first two rounds of the PS as well.

If you want to dock him for not having a great playoff run so be it, but regardless he still had a year that will go down among the all time greats and deserves to be compared among them.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
:dwillhuh:

:scust: At this thread being made in the first place.

This is a new low and that's saying a great deal, given the number of ludicrous reactionary threads made daily in this subforum. :francis:

Why are you talking as if Curry didn't have one of the greatest seasons this league has ever seen....

Y'all can't completely backtrack from everything that's happened because of 3 playoff games.

Randoug

Superstar
Daps
Why are you talking as if Curry didn't have one of the greatest seasons this league has ever seen....

Y'all can't completely backtrack from everything that's happened because of 3 playoff games.
One season doesn't warrant being mentioned with the greats..AI averaged over 30 multiple seasons.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps

Breh, STOP.

Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steph.

End of discussion.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
Breh, STOP.

Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steph.

End of discussion.

Why are you so dramatic with the > signs. Not only did you not say anything as to why Magic is better but you just exagerrated the case as if it's not remotely close. In that case you're either not valuing Curry's season correctly or are overvaluing Magic.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
Why are you so dramatic with the > signs. Not only did you not say anything as to why Magic is better but you just exagerrated the case as if it's not remotely close. In that case you're either not valuing Curry's season correctly or are overvaluing Magic.

Tell me this: outside of shooting, in way is Steph verifiably BETTER than Magic on the court?

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
One season doesn't warrant being mentioned with the greats..AI averaged over 30 multiple seasons.

Yes it does. It means you're performing on a level comparable to the best to ever play. Players are compared on a season to season basis all the time, I.e '06 Kobe vs '09 LeBron. Nothing about their previous or future play comes into discussion, just what they did in those years.

Iverson's problem is that he never had a season that could crack the greatest to ever play like Curry did this year.

In 2003 T Mac produced one of the greatest seasons in league history. Can be argued up there with anything Kobe or Wade have ever produced in this league. Nobody can take that away from him regardless of the inconsistancies that followed.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
Tell me this: outside of shooting, in way is Steph verifiably BETTER than Magic on the court?

I'd say offense in general. He's a far more dominant scorer than Magic ever was - both in terms of skill and aggression, and his ability to draw doubles 25 feet away from the basket/play within the flow of an offense on top of having exceptional court vision makes his impact on teammates just as good (if not greater) than Magic's. You'll look at the apg gap and think Magic was just that much better at making those around him better, but the threat of Curry's shooting stretches a defense so far out that he's responsible for creating 4on3 possesions for his teammates. He will not get an assist for this but the impact is the same. When Curry doesn't have the ball in his hands he's still drawing double teams and warping a defense because you can't allow the best shooter ever to get an open look, and that helps the rest of his team when they run offense away from him. On top of this he has strong court vision and is a great playmaker especially in the open court.

So when you combine Curry's huge advantages as a scorer and how he can dramatically influence his teammates both with and without the ball (A VERY unique trait - most players of this caliber are ball dominant, but Curry is not) it makes him the better offensive player by what Id consider to be a good margin. Yes Magic was a great rebounder, but that's not going to be a deciding point for me in the comparison and he also had his flaws defensively so no one should be using that either

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
I'd say offense in general. He's a far more dominant scorer than Magic ever was - both in terms of skill and aggression, and his ability to draw doubles 25 feet away from the basket/play within the flow of an offense on top of having exceptional court vision makes his impact on teammates just as good (if not greater) than Magic's. You'll look at the apg gap and think Magic was just that much better at making those around him better, but the threat of Curry's shooting stretches a defense so far out that he's responsible for creating 4on3 possesions for his teammates. He will not get an assist for this but the impact is the same. When Curry doesn't have the ball in his hands he's still drawing double teams and warping a defense because you can't allow the best shooter ever to get an open look, and that helps the rest of his team when they run offense away from him. On top of this he has strong court vision and is a great playmaker especially in the open court.

So when you combine Curry's huge advantages as a scorer and how he can dramatically influence his teammates both with and without the ball (A VERY unique trait - most players of this caliber are ball dominant, but Curry is not) it makes him the better offensive player by what Id consider to be a good margin. Yes Magic was a great rebounder, but that's not going to be a deciding point for me in the comparison and he also had his flaws defensively so no one should be using that either

the lengths dudes will go to to prop up this lil weak fakkit. :mindblown:now he's better at 'offense in general' than Magic fukking Johnson. Can't wait to see this fukkboy and his squad of pretenders get bounced.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
the lengths dudes will go to to prop up this lil weak fakkit. :mindblown:now he's better at 'offense in general' than Magic fukking Johnson. Can't wait to see this fukkboy and his squad of pretenders get bounced.

Feel free to point out anything in my argument and explain why you take offense to it.

Otherwise, its on you if you can't understand why he's constantly mentioned with the best to ever play in terms of single season greatness. There's a reason for that and its not a case of jumping the gun or overrating.

Last edited: