[STUDY] "Spanking is actually BAD for CHILDREN"

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Found this on another (mostly white) board and wanted to know the coli opinion.

The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties, according to a new meta-analysis of 50 years of research on spanking by experts at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Michigan.

The study, published in this month's Journal of Family Psychology , looks at five decades of research involving over 160,000 children. The researchers say it is the most complete analysis to date of the outcomes associated with spanking, and more specific to the effects of spanking alone than previous papers, which included other types of physical punishment in their analyses.

"Our analysis focuses on what most Americans would recognize as spanking and not on potentially abusive behaviors," says Elizabeth Gershoff, an associate professor of human development and family sciences at The University of Texas at Austin. "We found that spanking was associated with unintended detrimental outcomes and was not associated with more immediate or long-term compliance, which are parents' intended outcomes when they discipline their children."

Gershoff and co-author Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work, found that spanking (defined as an open-handed hit on the behind or extremities) was significantly linked with 13 of the 17 outcomes they examined, all in the direction of detrimental outcomes.

"The upshot of the study is that spanking increases the likelihood of a wide variety of undesired outcomes for children. Spanking thus does the opposite of what parents usually want it to do," Grogan-Kaylor says.

Gershoff and Grogan-Kaylor tested for some long-term effects among adults who were spanked as children. The more they were spanked, the more likely they were to exhibit anti-social behavior and to experience mental health problems. They were also more likely to support physical punishment for their own children, which highlights one of the key ways that attitudes toward physical punishment are passed from generation to generation.

The researchers looked at a wide range of studies and noted that spanking was associated with negative outcomes consistently and across all types of studies, including those using the strongest methodologies such as longitudinal or experimental designs. As many as 80 percent of parents around the world spank their children, according to a 2014 UNICEF report. Gershoff notes that this persistence of spanking is in spite of the fact that there is no clear evidence of positive effects from spanking and ample evidence that it poses a risk of harm to children's behavior and development.

Both spanking and physical abuse were associated with the same detrimental child outcomes in the same direction and nearly the same strength.

"We as a society think of spanking and physical abuse as distinct behaviors," she says. "Yet our research shows that spanking is linked with the same negative child outcomes as abuse, just to a slightly lesser degree."

Gershoff also noted that the study results are consistent with a report released recently by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that called for "public engagement and education campaigns and legislative approaches to reduce corporal punishment," including spanking, as a means of reducing physical child abuse. "We hope that our study can help educate parents about the potential harms of spanking and prompt them to try positive and non-punitive forms of discipline."

TL;DR :The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties, according to a new meta-analysis of 50 years of research on spanking.

Link to the synopsis(whats quoted):https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425143106.htm

Link to actual study (not free, unfortunately): http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/fam0000191

Do coli parents believe in spanking their kids?

What about yall that plan on having kids, will you spank them?

I know a lot of blacks (and southern whites) believe in spanking kids, and pass that thought process down to their kids; I always thought it should be used as sort of a last resort kinda thing myself. Definitely didn't think it could lead to any detrimental effects.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
I don't think spanking as in swating or flicking a child softly is bad if they are deserving of it. Some children need a good spanking.
On the other hand some parents take their anger out on their kids. Growing up I knew a Puerto Rican woman who would beat the shyt out of her kids over little stuff. Her daughters would come to school with black eyes and bruises. No wonder her oldest was 13 in the 5th grade. There are people out here who literally think beating your child like someone off the street is proper parenting.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
i don't spank my kids, i was never spanked and never had discipline problems.

i've even found raising my voice to be counterproductive. the calmer i am in disciplining my kids the more effective it is.

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't think spanking as in swating or flicking a child softly is bad if they are deserving of it. Some children need a good spanking.
On the other hand some parents take their anger out on their kids. Growing up I knew a Puerto Rican woman who would beat the shyt out of her kids over little stuff. Her daughters would come to school with black eyes and bruises. No wonder her oldest was 13 in the 5th grade. There are people out here who literally think beating your child like someone off the street is proper parenting.

This definitely happens a lot. But, I would think, as a human, it would kinda be hard NOT to be angry while directly responding to something that defied you. Even if you aren't technically abusing your kid (open hand, on they bottom is seen as spanking) how can you not be somewhat upset while spanking a kid :jbhmm:

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i don't spank my kids, i was never spanked and never had discipline problems.

i've even found raising my voice to be counterproductive. the calmer i am in disciplining my kids the more effective it is.

Would there ever be a reason you would be open to spanking? what if the talking didn't work?

I say that, because I have seen kids who tend to shyt on that calm, talking, time out approach.