[STUDY] "Spanking is actually BAD for CHILDREN"

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i can't really see it. and when kids are that bad that nothing else is working i don't believe that physical violence will work any better than anything else that hasn't worked. how can you say- hitting is bad, but you were bad, so i'm gonna hit you to tell you not to be bad? i don't get that.

Well hitting another kid doesn't justify a spanking, imo but disrespect does and that flows through to adulthood. I've seen children, verbally and physically abuse their parents only to be told "that's not nice". These same children grow up to become verbally and physically abusive adults and then when someone finally does kick their ass, they are shocked because they've never had any true consequences. Again, beating your child for everything little thing is flat out wrong, but I think there is a way to decipher between not hitting friends and being hit as a result of being verbally or physically abusive.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
i believe in reasoning with a child. but you have to get them to the right answer without using the same method too much, which is stressful. sometimes kids don't understand or won't want to listen. it's just how life goes. but, i'm sure people know when and when not to apply the proper pressure

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
When I was a kid I got arrested for shoplifting.

Got a whoopin, a week later I was out doing the same shyt.

I eventually stopped on my own, but the way my parents handled it didn't deter me in any way.

I think it would've been better for me if my pops had just sat me down and explained the potential consequences of my actions.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Found this on another (mostly white) board and wanted to know the coli opinion.
TL;DR :The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties, according to a new meta-analysis of 50 years of research on spanking.

Link to the synopsis(whats quoted):https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425143106.htm

Link to actual study (not free, unfortunately): http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/fam0000191

Do coli parents believe in spanking their kids?

What about yall that plan on having kids, will you spank them?

I know a lot of blacks (and southern whites) believe in spanking kids, and pass that thought process down to their kids; I always thought it should be used as sort of a last resort kinda thing myself. Definitely didn't think it could lead to any detrimental effects.
As for not spanking your kids, take a look at current American society. The out-of-control children who are now adults are still, in their mind, out-of-control. And by out-of-control, I mean they didn't have limits while growing up, so they aren't used to limits as adults.
There are a lot of parents who, after seeing wreckless behavior due to lack of self-control, chalk up their child's mistakes on society.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
I'm not a better person because of the spanking I got, I can admit that. Most can't because they love their parents. But they let their love blind them.

I can look at things objectively, there is a difference between Authoritarian parenting and Authoritative parenting.

If you got hit for talking back, you fall under people who had authoritarian parenting.

Kids Who ‘Talk Back’ Become More Successful Adults

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
" experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties,"

Sounds like me to be honest. I remember the hatred I felt for my parents while I was being whooped. I wouldn't want my kids to feel the same way about me. I may have to pinch or give a few swats to a toddler's bottom, but whooping past the age of 5?:francis:

Nah you should be able to communicate and discipline them with non-violent measures at that point.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Didn't read. But i'm definitely gonna be dishing it out as a parent

"This is hurting me more than it is hurting you." :francis:.......:lolbron:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did a thread on this either a year or two ago, and it didn't go to well, so I doubt shyt would change, at least I know what to do:francis:

What separated this article from mine, is that the article I was referring to said that its when the MOTHER spanks the child that it becomes a problem, not when the father does it.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
i don't spank my kids, i was never spanked and never had discipline problems.

i've even found raising my voice to be counterproductive. the calmer i am in disciplining my kids the more effective it is.

My parents were like this. Everyone thought my parents were being too soft on us but we never really did anything to deserve spankings so I guess they knew what they were doing.

Didn't read. But i'm definitely gonna be dishing it out as a parent

"This is hurting me more than it is hurting you." :francis:.......:lolbron:

:huhldup: