Survival of the Fittest: Official 2014 New York Giants Season Thread

DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
-fc45a24626a0ca50.jpg

There's a war going on outside no man is safe from....:wow:

The Giants said linebacker Jon Beason would be the only player to begin training camp on the active/physically unable to perform list, which is no surprise given that he's recovering from a broken foot. Beason has said he hopes to be ready by Week 1, and playing him on the training camp PUP list does not affect that hope. He can practice at any time after the team's doctors clear him medically. The only reason for the active/PUP designation is that it keeps the team's options open in case they end up wanting to place him on the reserve/PUP list to start the regular season. At this point, they hope they don't have to do that. Beason was on the sideline watching his team go through its conditioning test Monday afternoon.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/37154/giants-training-camp-injury-report

Not a good look Beason was one of our best rush defenders and was tied for third most tackles on the team. :why:

This probably goes without saying, but with the addition of center J.D. Walton and the retirement of mainstays like Snee and Diehl the Giants' O-line has and is undergoing major changes. While I'm not exactly ecstatic about what Jerry Reese built in the offseason it would be virtually impossible for the O-line to be worst than it was last year. :ld:

The last time the Giants' offensive line underwent this much significant transition was in 2011 when, just prior to the start of training camp, the team released Shaun O'Hara and Rich Seubert. That very day Chris Snee walked into Tom Coughlin's office and declared himself the new leader of the unit, vowing that the players up front would be prepared and ready. Snee was the obvious choice for the job.

But when Snee walked out of the Giants locker room for the last time on Monday, after announcing his retirement, he left more than a hole at right guard. The Giants had been without Snee for 13 games last year, they were anticipating his retirement, and he hadn't been at his All-Pro level for the last few seasons, so replacing him on the field has become the least of their worries. More difficult to fill is the void of his leadership. The way he drove the line. So the biggest question facing the Giants this summer is not: Who will play Snee's old position? It's: Who will capture the spirit of 76?

"I think you have to earn the respect of your teammates before you can be a leader," said guard Geoff Schwartz, the biggest offseason addition to the line and a candidate to grab the reins. "You don't really say 'I'm a leader now' and expect everyone to follow you. You have to do it by actions on the field and that's the position some of us are in right now with Chris being gone. I think we're ready to accept that role."

The experienced veteran players who would seem natural fits are mostly new to the team, while those who have been with the Giants in recent seasons are generally inexperienced on the field.

Ideally, the Giants would like their new generation of blockers to step up. Players such as Justin Pugh, who started every game at right tackle as a rookie last year.

"I think you really don't want to have one guy," Pugh said. "If you can have five guys be leaders that's a great thing. As an offensive line we have a lot to do this camp to gel. There are guys who are leaders on the field, guys who are leaders in the locker room. I think it will work itself out."

Third-year guard Brandon Mosley, who will get the first crack at the starting position on the field, said experience isn't a prerequisite to leadership.

"You don't have to be eight years in the league, you just have to be willing to lead and step up," he said.

Mosley said he was respectfully saddened by Snee's announcement, but he also realized the opportunity.

"I'm very excited, don't get me wrong," Mosley said. "I'm going to work my hardest and try to win the spot."

One of the players he'll be competing with is rookie Weston Richburg, this year's second-round pick (just as Snee was in 2004). Richburg was selected as a center but played some guard in the spring when Snee was sidelined and is expected to continue taking reps at both positions.

"We're really aware of the past history of the offensive line here with the Giants," Richburg said. "We want to be able to carry on that tradition."

Schedule:
Preseason
  • HOF Aug 3 8:00PMEDT ' AT Bills
  • 1 Aug 9 7:30PMEDT vs. Steelers
  • 2 Aug 16 7:00PMEDT AT Colts
  • 3 Aug 22 7:30PMEDT AT Jets
  • 4 Aug 28 7:30PMEDT vs. Patriots
REGULAR
  • 1 Sep 8 7:10PMEDT + AT Lions
  • 2 Sep 14 1:00PMEDT ) vs. Cardinals
  • 3 Sep 21 1:00PMEDT * vs.Texans
  • 4 Sep 25 8:25PMEDT * AT Redskins
  • 5 Oct 5 1:00PMEDT ) vs. Falcons
  • 6 Oct 12 8:30PMEDT ' AT Eagles
  • 7 Oct 19 4:25PMEDT ) AT Cowboys
  • 8 BYE
  • 9 Nov 3 8:30PMEST + vs. Colts
  • 10 Nov 9 4:25PMEST ) AT Seahawks
  • 11 Nov 16 1:00PMEST ) vs. 49ers
  • 12 Nov 23 8:30PMEST ' Cowboys
  • 13 Nov 30 1:00PMEST ) AT Jaguars
  • 14 Dec 7 1:00PMEST ) AT Titans
  • 15 Dec 14 1:00PMEST ) vs.Redskins
  • 16 Dec 21 4:05PMEST ) AT Rams
  • 17 Dec 28 1:00PMEST ) vs.Eagles

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/who-will-lead-giants-offensive-line-1.8865535

Kind of sad to see Snee go ,but his body couldn't take it any more.

@kurt @Urbanmiracle @OTC @23statcity @Rev @The War Report @TR7 @Exit9NJturnpike

@CapitalOne @Mr. Jack Napier @I.V. @Pack2 @Danie84 @tru_m.a.c

@AVthaPHARAOH @HarlemUSA @3rdLetter @Evil Genius Swizzy @AJtheOne @PIFF101 @RUNQNS

How do you think the GIants do this season?

Last edited:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I'm out to DR for 2 weeks tomorrow ya dig. Gonna miss the MSG camp shows, the Hall of Fame game, etc. :sadcam:

I'm concerned with the o-line (beatty, snee's vacancy, chemistry) and the TE position mostly. There's no definitive TE here & it kinda sucks because of the offense we're slated to run.

Anyhow, I believe in my guys. We'll talk in a couple weeks, folks. :salute:

Mantle Drunk

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Went to training camp today for the first time curious to see how it is and it's fukkin super lame. I guess if you want autographs it might be cool but I didn't even stay for that as it's not my cup of tea. Got to see the TE's up close and personal they all looked unimpressive especially Robinson.