Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seriously who listens to a Travis album for bars though? I’ve always listened for the elite and a1 production in his music. If you want lyrics there’s other nikkaz for that.
🤮

So why rap? Just release instrumental albums. Loving a rapper who doesn’t rap well is demoralizing. But hey, kids/weirdos buy it, can’t knock the hustle, kids and weirdos are the biggest demo in the world for rap music so 🫡. Contemporary Hip hop is so ass, 😆.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
🤮

So why rap? Just release instrumental albums. Loving a rapper who doesn’t rap well is demoralizing. But hey, kids/weirdos buy it, can’t knock the hustle, kids and weirdos are the biggest demo in the world for rap music so 🫡. Contemporary Hip hop is so ass, 😆.
Travis can flow on tracks though he just don’t got bars. Like you don’t listen to Travis music for bars just like you wouldn’t listen to future, thug and gunna shyt for bars either. You want bars go listen to the nikkaz that got barz then.!

You got Drake, Cole, Kendrick, Benny, Push, westside and Nas for that.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Travis can flow on tracks though he just don’t got bars. Like you don’t listen to Travis music for bars just like you wouldn’t listen to future, thug and gunna shyt for bars either. You want bars go listen to the nikkaz that got barz then.!

You got Drake, Cole, Kendrick, Benny, Push, westside and Nas for that.
1) he was rapping on Astroworld and the whole album sounded heavenly
2) future got a lot of different styles on his resume including actual rapping

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Music is art, it can be whatever the artist wants. There is no "should." That being said, does Travis Scott have anything to say as an artist? No. Does he have any real individual voice or theme to his music? No. Which is why the features always steal the show, because you effectively go from the void that is Travis to an expressive artist, be that SZA or Drake or Future or Beyonce (all of whom sounded great on that album).

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
The weird thing with Travis is that it's not like he's a straight up horrible rapper. It's not neccessarily a Group Home or Magoo situation where they just seem out of their depth rapping (although i fukk with Lil Dap) but with Travis it's this unique situation of a superstar rapper having no personality. He stands for nothing. Seems a complete blank identity. His music has no demonstated any aspect of who he is. We talk about the effect that AI is gonna have on music but Travis is effectively an AI rapper. He's comes across less human than Chat GPT.

It's a weird situation. I can still enjoy the music but it is totally soulless, heartless music which in some ways epitomizes the times we're living in.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Has Travis EVER been a rapper that “said anything” in his lyrics?

Not all rappers are going to have a message or meaning in their music. Matter of fact it seems the industry REWARDS those whose subject matter is as crass and microwaveable as possible.

If fans want music that moves you lyrically as well as sonically they should run up them Nas, Killer Mike, Talib Kweli, J.I.D. Streams. At the end of the day Travis gonna reach who he supposed to reach and other artists gonna reach who THEY supposed to reach. But I don’t see how putting any type of onus on Travis to be something he’s CLEARLY not would make better music. He’d just go run to Cyhi to ghostwrite him some shyt and even still, it wouldn’t be coming FROM him

Manolo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The thing is it’s not about having a “message” but about having a distinct personality and coherent bars

Drake, Future, Gunna and Thug don’t have a “message” to their music but their writing has a distinct POV. The songs have quotables. They all have songs with topics where they talk about bytches, life or whatever topic

Travis has no identity in his raps. His verses are basically word salad. No quotable, no humor, no wit, no story, no cultural references, nothing. Just AI generated lines

[Verse 1]
Like my time, like my juice (Sweet, sweet)
We been downstairs in the basement with the moves (Sweet, yah)
Shout my town, shout my troops (Shout, shout)
Shout my jeweler, made my chain look like Froot Loops, yuh (It's lit)
Come get a taste, come get a scoop (Scoop)
I done made it out the hood through all the hoops (Hula hoops)
I done finally found a way to make the loot (Make the loot)
Link up all my nikkas and my Jewels, yuh (High up)
Link up, link up, yuh, link up, pour my syrup (Yah)
Diamonds, yeah, they link up, link up
Go berserk, do some shyt you think of (Yah, yah)
Lean, lean, lean, all this lean, lean, lean
We might lean, lean, lean (Oh)
Smoke all my shyt (shyt)
Stop it, start again (Yah)

Last edited: