The College Thread

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I'm a non-traditional student who will graduate from a great university in 2026. I'll use this post (and a number of other mechanisms) to hold myself accountable.

Briefly
High school dropout. Previously attended a two-year school but never believed in what I was doing. Used to be president of honors societies and such but never really felt like I had everything "together." I had this vision of myself as put together and unflappable. I wanted to be "that dude" in every possible way. As a result, I kept putting off school and life.

I've never struggled finding a gig or making money. Been in the six-figure club for almost a decade. Had jobs working for big tech companies and jobs requiring CIA polygraphs. Lived in a number of tier-one and tier-two cities including LA, DC, Atlanta, and now San Fran. Flown business class to places like France and Switzerland, rode first-class carriages through the Alps. Lounged in Davos and Zurich.

Nevertheless, I've always felt like I was doing the current thing until I got my stuff together enough to do the real thing. I've never really taken my career or life seriously. I don't mind quitting jobs or getting fired. I've, in many ways, avoided committing to anything or anyone in the hopes of someday being "put together" enough to truly do this thing called life the "right" way. I've intentionally kept my salary lower than possible to avoid the responsibility and time commitment necessary to command a higher one.

So
Earlier this year I decided that if I didn't do this right now, I'll never do it. And if I never do it, or even attempt it, I'll never live it down. I'll have wasted all this time with nothing to show for it.

Interviewed for a bay area gig, got the offer, and relocated to San Fran with the primary purpose of finishing school at one of the local colleges. Goal is transferring to a great University.

I'm not really motivated by "moving up" the ladder in my current occupation, it does nothing for me. As a result, I find a lot of school situations undesirable. I have no interest in simply finishing college, I could've done that years ago. Instead I'm trying to go all out.

Motivation
Proving how far I can go. I've always been told "you should be at Harvard" or whatever. Might be some high-school shyt, but I want to, need to see.
I'm into analysis, policy, moving shyt forward. Most serious positions require a certain type of education (not just a degree).
Corny, but it fits my vision of being this complete person. An erudite man of letters, married to a sweet female intellectual. It's my vision.

Targets
Stanford/Princeton
UC Berkeley/LA/SD
Tufts/NYU
Amherst/Williams

Safeties
UC Irvine Honors/Santa Barbara/Santa Cruz
University of Arizona Honors Program
Santa Clara/Gonzaga/Loyola Marymount

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Guess I’ll contribute. Decided to go after another Master’s or dual program. So far, I’ve applied to Pitt, Indiana, Georgia State, Minnesota, Penn St, Northwestern, Brandeis, UCSD, U of H and a couple of other TX schools, a school in Ohio, Louisville, and Villanova. May apply to Carnegie Melon but that’s dependent on if I hear from any of my T3 by the end of the week

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Guess I’ll contribute. Decided to go after another Master’s or dual program. So far, I’ve applied to Pitt, Indiana, Georgia State, Minnesota, Penn St, Northwestern, Brandeis, UCSD, U of H and a couple of other TX schools, a school in Ohio, Louisville, and Villanova. May apply to Carnegie Melon but that’s dependent on if I hear from any of my T3 by the end of the week

Just curious what degree do you have and what do you want to go for?

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Just curious what degree do you have and what do you want to go for?
I got options. Going for my Ph.D. in Political Science (academia) or get my MPP/MPA or a combo of MPP/Ph.D. That's why I'm holding out on giving a answer to most of the schools not named Brandeis or O'Neill (IU)

Got into one R1 institute for Poli Sci but not really trying to stay in TX for much longer

Edit: didn’t answer your question, my bad. Bachelors and soon to get masters in Poli Sci w/ a concentration in comparative politics and grad minor in legal studies. The next one if I go that route will be concentrating on American politics with focus on constitutional law or political economy

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I got options. Going for my Ph.D. in Political Science (academia) or get my MPP/MPA or a combo of MPP/Ph.D. That's why I'm holding out on giving a answer to most of the schools not named Brandeis or O'Neill (IU)

Got into one R1 institute for Poli Sci but not really trying to stay in TX for much longer
Come out to the best coast.

@No1 :hubie:

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory

I actually got them on my shortlist for internships. Hell of a lot better than being someones office do boy at the state house or local govt building.

You know anyone who went to Evans SoPP&G at UW or Claremont? The latter is making a half-court press on the kid.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

I got nothing to add. I haven’t spoken to anyone that I know who pursued a PhD in 10 years.

Yas

Banned
Daps
Can someone in here check my website out? I want to make sure it's up and running from a random computer before I submit it.