The Death of the UFC

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
for some reason you'd think it's dying. this has been one of their most successful years, but nobody who i used to know that watched like 3-5 years ago still watches. i'm really the only one of my circle that still fukks with it and even i don't fukk with it as much. i guess they created new fans. :yeshrug:

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
So given that .. Why do you think the fighters get so much less than boxers?

Do you think they'll ever band together against Zuffa?

The UFC pays a small portion of their revenue to their fighters. For the most part, fighter pay is a joke.

It's going to be hard to band together against Zuffa.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
I'm sorry, I thought I specified a mid level boxing card.

I saw yesterday that Leo Santa Cruz has made 85K, 125k, 270k, 725k, 725k, 850k his last 6 fights.

This guy isn't anywhere near a household name. Yet he gets paid well, and the other undercard fighters get paid well also.

Yet UFC champ Rousy only gets 65k and her opponent got 100k.

Lol. How the hell the challenger get more than the champ?..

I get it. It's a league sport and the fighters are under contracts.. Well that's why they have to get some kind of union. At least have a pay scale where the fukking champ gets paid more

Including her PPV buys and everything, Ronda made at least 1 million in her last fight.

Overeem made close to a million in his first fight in the UFC.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/12/3...eveals-financial-details-of-his-ufc-contract/

Daps
Reppin
NULL
UFC will die when boxing promoters like Al Haymon start signing MMA fighters and promoting fights

UFC being a monopoly also means they intake all the risk and are responsible for everything
which has pros and cons, but ultimately the fighters are just getting ripped becaue they cannot control their careers

The only reason the other promotions couldn't compete was because those brothers got serious bank, they can't contend with

when they brought pride, the fact the yakuza kicked them out of japan and wouldn't let dana eat off the pride name, as well as New York not sanctioning MMA fights, shows you they ain't got juice like one would think

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
UFC will die when boxing promoters like Al Haymon start signing MMA fighters and promoting fights

UFC being a monopoly also means they intake all the risk and are responsible for everything
which has pros and cons, but ultimately the fighters are just getting ripped becaue they cannot control their careers

The only reason the other promotions couldn't compete was because those brothers got serious bank, they can't contend with

when they brought pride, the fact the yakuza kicked them out of japan and wouldn't let dana eat off the pride name, as well as New York not sanctioning MMA fights, shows you they ain't got juice like one would think

How are you the WOAT ? Learn to get along with people

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
What do you think is more likely to happen going forward: Fighters unionize or MMA business model becomes like boxing?

These fighters are gonna want to get paid better eventually
neither, ufc is basically a federation like wwe except with legit fighters as "employees". Boxers are legitimately independent contractors, zuffa have no reason to change a system that's benificial to them. As for fighters unionizing, pie in the sky :ld:

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
There should probably be a class action lawsuit against the UFC
There's all sorts of anti-trust violations going on with the UFC. If Dana is going to treat it like the team sports, then the fighters should have bargaining power. Boxing is one way because it's a true free market economy. If you're going to stifle competition and keep wages down, then there needs to be a UFC union. They should go before the NLRB and unionize like the college kids did recently.

I think class action suits would be tougher, especially considering the costs involved. Plus the plaintiffs would be much more inclined to settle, even if they had a strong case. I just googled it and there's actually three anti-trust lawsuits pending against the UFC right now. That's all complicated stuff, and the courts have been hesitant to call any major american sport a true monopoly, although it has gotten close with the NFL. The fact that Bellator and other small promotional companies exist will hurt their case. Unionizing is better because it's easier for them to gain power than it is to take away power from a major league. Both are certainly worth a try though.

That's the other possible way to change MMA for the better. And I wish it would happen. I just think MMA fans are too rooted into the UFC's way of doing things. It's so much easier to follow a sport when there's one league with one set of records, champions, shows, and PPVs. And Haymon could be headed into a completely different direction if he creates a PBC belt and rankings.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
The UFC has a chokehold on the MMA market. It's extremely difficult for a person or group to successfully enter the world of MMA as a promoter/promotion. Pretty much every MMA promotion has either folded or been bought out.

The UFC has become synonymous with MMA, a lot of people still think the sport is called UFC. A big reason for that is because of the way Zuffa/UFC promote themselves, they put their name/brand ahead of their stars.

Look at Affliction. During the peak of MMA (in terms of popularity), Affliction put together two very solid cards (with big name fighters, who they paid very well). PPV ratings for both cards flopped, 100k for their first card and 90k for their second. Mind you, this was when the UFC was averaging around 600k buys per card. They folded after their second event. If the UFC had put together those two cards, it would've easily done 500-600k buys each.

Last edited:

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
That's the other possible way to change MMA for the better. And I wish it would happen. I just think MMA fans are too rooted into the UFC's way of doing things. It's so much easier to follow a sport when there's one league with one set of records, champions, shows, and PPVs. And Haymon could be headed into a completely different direction if he creates a PBC belt and rankings.

I think one league is a lot better than multiple (organizations/promotions). I want the all the best fighters under one umbrella fighting each other. Having said that, fighter pay needs to increase, a fighter's union needs to be created and [just overall] fighters need to be treated better.