The fact Juice Wrld freestyled OFF THE DOME not one by twice for an hour needs to be talked about more

Daps
While I somewhat agree, lowering certain barriers allows more mediocre acts to participate.
The barrier should be high quality lyricism

Whether freestyle or written

But not exclusively freestyling otherwise we’d miss out on a lot of acts and I personally prefer writtens for the concepts and intricate patterns

Roxx the King

www.RoxxAlott.com
Daps
Reppin
Norfolk, VA
I’m glad that is over because there’s dudes who write very well and make great music who can’t go off the dome. That’s an unnecessary barrier to entry I get the competition aspect and paying dues but some people want to just tell there story without obstacles and hurdles like trying to prove yourself in a cypher or freestyle battle.
Wasn’t a barrier per se it was just that you could t record or post as easy. So unless you were gonna perform your songs in a cypher you had to go off the dome. I get that things have progressed so you don’t have to be happy nikkas can’t freestyle lol. We just think it’s weak as fukk to be an MC who can’t freestyle. That’s probably more of what a rapper is. But there are all types of artists and genres that make great music by writing. Freestyling wasn’t a skill that kept you out the game, it was just how you got respect in it.

Roxx the King

www.RoxxAlott.com
Daps
Reppin
Norfolk, VA
The barrier should be high quality lyricism

Whether freestyle or written

But not exclusively freestyling otherwise we’d miss out on a lot of acts and I personally prefer writtens for the concepts and intricate patterns
Again, freestyling was never the bar, just a tangible way to prove you had them before pro tools and the ability to easily publish your art. We couldn’t record as easily so to rap for the sport of it was like a pickup basketball game. You don’t have to be anti freestyling. It is an art in itself. Just another facet of rapping if you will.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
99.9% of rappers from the 80s/90s/00s can't even do 30% of what Juice Wrld did, Eminem gave him props for being an amazing freestyler, Cassidy did the same, and MC Juice where he got his rap name from said he was elite to so you just hating right now. Get the hate out your heart

He named himself after Mc Juice???

Daps
]
Again, freestyling was never the bar, just a tangible way to prove you had them before pro tools and the ability to easily publish your art. We couldn’t record as easily so to rap for the sport of it was like a pickup basketball game. You don’t have to be anti freestyling. It is an art in itself. Just another facet of rapping if you will.
I’m not anti freestyling I actually think it’s dope and absolutely has its place at live events and as something people do for fun with no pressure. I do it myself in my car for fun when I’m by myself.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
once made a whole mixtape in a night freestyling in instrumentals just to impress a girl.

That’s from like 09. I’m not taking anything away from him. I’m just saying since Drake pulled out the Blackberry y’all been easily impressed.
We Did this as well without recording it in the booth. I think it’s in my tape recorder because we both were journalism majors. He rapped and I made the hooks and I think this lasted for an hour or two. Classic shyt, always tried to get my homie to become a ghost writer because I knew he wouldn’t want to be in front of the camera but he could just rap off the head to any beat.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Charles was on another level.

Straight alien status.

I still listen to his old music randomly and catch bars I missed, and dude was like 19/early 20s dropping gems.
I really think he could have been the goat of the 10s if he hadn’t had the mental breakdown. Dudes tapes are insane and have crazy reply value to this day.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Freestyling already means off the dome.

If you compose it beforehand it's called a written.

And there's only two categories. Either you compose it beforehand, or you improvise on the spot.

This is for the people who call "raps that aren't about a subject" or "raps that don't appear on albums" freestyles. The word freestyle has been misused for the whole 2000s.

Mystic

All Star
Daps
Freestyling already means off the dome.

If you compose it beforehand it's called a written.

And there's only two categories. Either you compose it beforehand, or you improvise on the spot.

This is for the people who call "raps that aren't about a subject" or "raps that don't appear on albums" freestyles. The word freestyle has been misused for the whole 2000s.
So? It don't matter if it's been misused the definition will NEVER change