The Fix is a 7/10 album at best, and it's high time we acknowledge this

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Really 6 if you wanna drop all pretense.

5 mics in the Source? Scarface's "best album?"
full

Let's get to chopping this fable. A good chunk of this album is for softies, Starbucks coffees, moccasins. Bagels.
ZRsXf.png

I bought this album when it dropped and enjoyed it like everybody else back then, but I never considered it Face's best work like the media was pushing it to be. I actually haven't listened to it in it's entirety for a long while and going on a bit of a Scarface marathon over the past 2 weeks makes it glaringly obvious this was a highly commercialized effort.

There's no real story-telling on this album and a complete lack of him dealing with the fragility of his mind, 2 things he's very well known for by this point in his career. I understand that he even be believes this is his best work because this was when he was at peace with himself because he had the most creative freedom and biggest financial backing of all of his work to date, but I'm gonna keep it a buck, the nikka is a nut case and his best work stems from him dealing with his mental illness(es) on wax. Comfortable Face doesn't make for the most engaging listen.

Like I said before, these tracks right here?

yR5AljN.gif

Nothing at all wrong with reflective and religious Face, but it's been done so much better before with less sugary beats and hooks. Heaven in particular is a very watered down take on social commentary compared to past efforts. Democracy was hypocrisy 2 albums ago, and now you wanna pout to the president...but anyway...

This joint had to benefit from the Roc-a-fella stimulus package. Let's take a look at the first single

Dope verses with a dope beat (contender for Kanye's best but that's another thread), but DAMN, you'd think this was a Roc joint featuring Scarface. I know you tight with Jay due to previous collabs but you gave this nikka damn near a minute to swag all over your song. :gucci: But I guess that's the cost for manufacturing a "classic"

Let's look at another high profile guest appearance:

Seems like another dope Face/Nas collab until we reach the hook, and I'm not even gonna hold you, that shyt is TRASH :trash:. Tanya Herron? Sounds like that's exactly what that heffa was strung out on while singing it. Strive to sound like a white T-Boz cacettes. And it just wouldn't end! :why: Mike Dean, come get your wife :camby:

There's also a WC feature which for whatever reason was chosen to end the album. Not even a bad song but it was a lackluster way to close the album before the staple instrumental outro.

The rest of the album? Hollow posturing from a rapper who honestly has nothing to prove. We know you gangsta, we know you know your way around the block, we know you've seen it all and done it all, but more importantly, we know you can do better than this. It's not a bad album, it's just nowhere near as good as what people wanted it to be. Now I remember why I revisit this album the least.

Daps
i kinda get where OP is coming from.

It's really a glossed out and maybe an "overproduced" album from Face. There was none of that "Houston" sound and was instead replaced with a very glossy and sample-heavy, East Coast sound with Kanye on the boards & Pharrell. The collabs are also non-Houston rappers. He still spit bars, but the album wasn't reflective of Southern rap by any means.

This is an album Def Jam wanted, point blank period in return for Face getting the position at Def Jam South. They wanted him to do this album and appear on any Def Jam project where applicable, including the funny Def Jamaica project.

This was a great album lyrically, but it was definitely a polished Face.

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
I liked it, but understand the view point.

Not as raw as his earlier work. Fairly polished.

I'm not a huge Face fan, I like his stuff but I gotta be in the right zone. His last album was solid, tho.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I didn't like it much outside of a few songs when it first came out. I appprecuate it a little more now especially after reading his book