The Get Down - Cancelled By Netflix

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
How does a streaming service where there's no advertising decide when to cancel a show?

Like it makes sense for ABC, NBC, and FOX to cancel shows if advertisers are pissed that no ones watching their ads but it doesn't make sense for Netflix to not let shows complete their stories.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
How does a streaming service where there's no advertising decide when to cancel a show?

Like it makes sense for ABC, NBC, and FOX to cancel shows if advertisers are pissed that no ones watching their ads but it doesn't make sense for Netflix to not let shows complete their stories.
They know exactly how many people are watching due to it being streaming. Networks can't even do that they have to use sample sizes and stats to figure shyt out. If not enough of the subscription base is watching. :francis: It's actually easier for them, it's just not public info.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
They know exactly how many people are watching due to it being streaming. Networks can't even do that they have to use sample sizes and stats to figure shyt out. If not enough of the subscription base is watching. :francis: It's actually easier for them, it's just not public info.

Hmm. It's just interesting to me because whether people are watching or not, they've already prepaid for the show, unless they take merchandise sales as a gauge of popularity.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Based on their streaming numbers. If it haven't met the expected number of streams then it's likely not going to get a 2nd season.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
a shame but not surprising.
they wrapped up the season like it was the end anyway so

:yeshrug:

theres plenty of stuff you could moan about the show but once you got by Baz being Baz it was an enjoyable show.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
From just hearing about the cancellation, my first thought was hella over budget. I'm not sure Netflix can really handle production costs of shows this expensive - not yet at least. Then there wasn't much WOM about the show, not to the fanfare of the others. This is something that Starz should have had, because after Vinyl, I doubt HBO would've taken another chance at a music period piece.
Breh Netflix has a 6 billion dollar content budget for this year alone.

This show just didn't capture public interest

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Hmm. It's just interesting to me because whether people are watching or not, they've already prepaid for the show, unless they take merchandise sales as a gauge of popularity.

Netflix has a very tight lipped and complex way of gauging whether a show/film will be worth making or continuing.

I can't remember whether it was a podcast or interview I read, but one of the reasons they approached both Kevin Spacey and Fincher to (re)make House of Cards is because part of their algorithm showed that when a user starts a movie with Kevin Spacey or a movie by Fincher, an overwhelming majority finish it, which apparently they don't see with a lot of actors/movies. That might not sound like a lot, but to them it was a small part of why they thought the combination would work.

One of the most important things to them (besides subscription numbers) is keeping users on the platform for as long as possible, so they want you to watch another movie after you've watched one, or more than one episode of a show at a time.

For all we know, The Get Down might have not only had low numbers, but it might have actually made users who didn't like the first 20 minutes or so turn Netflix off completely instead of finding another show. That was 100% made up, but it's just an example to show what kinds of things they study besides raw numbers or tweets etc. to judge a show's popularity.

That plus spending more than GoT and not achieving GoT popularity is an easy way to see a show get cancelled lol

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Should've been a serious show instead of a cotdamn musical

With that being said Netflix should cancel alot of other bullsh*t that nobody watches as well.
@bolded yeah I was planning on getting netflix and watching it(along with others)

but when I learned it was a musical I was :hubie: