The Get Down - Cancelled By Netflix

Curufinwe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Brussel
Good new. The first season is self explanatory.
The last part was filled with useless drama and teenage bullshyt.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
16 million per episode?? :damn: i figured production was expensive with all those different shots but:huhldup: now the garbage animation makes sense. unfortunate because it had a good start and showed a lot of potential.

Apollo Kid

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Boom Bap Era
This was truly a dissapointment from the beginning. The trailer when it first dropped had me hyped. As the first part came out and they did musical numbers i was like :dahell: but i rocked with it because I love everything about the origins of hip hop (plus some ladies were :takedat:) Towards the end of part the shyt with Jaden's character heading downtown wasn't necessary. I won't even talke about the abomination that is part 2 :hubie:

The Get Down was a let down all in all.

Do yourself a favor and watch Rubble Kings on Netflix. One of the best documentaries I've seen.

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most Netflix originals are trash.
I agree, but only because they have a lot of content brought in from other countries (Canada, Italy, England, etc.) and given the "Netflix Original" branding. Being called a Netflix original doesn't mean much.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The show just didn't seem to connect with audiences, unfortunately. There was almost no talk about it, especially in comparison to shows like Stranger Things and Luke Cage. And then you see that budget, and it's not a surprise.

Still, it sucks to see diverse programming fail. The show wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun to watch.
show was big in my circle...lots of people my brother's age (40+) were fukking with it, me and my friends and all my white "hip hoppin" coworkers fukked with it. of course it aint stranger things, OITNB big, but neither is master of none or kimmy schmidt. you don't have to be in the 20M viewer club or whatever to be a good show.

at the end of the day, they spent too much on it which could've been corrected, it's fukked up they chose to just cancel it. these streaming platforms really don't do enough to cater to black audiences, i see why it's hard to tell black folks to cut the cord when there aren't many classic/semi classic black shows on the platforms (different world (cant believe netflix dropped it), hanging with mr cooper, living single, martin, jeffersons, all the WB/UPN shows, etc) nor do they do a good job curating black movies or developing current black shows. you gotta be locked in to cable to get black content - bet, tv one, centric, aspire.

Last edited:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How does a streaming service where there's no advertising decide when to cancel a show?

Like it makes sense for ABC, NBC, and FOX to cancel shows if advertisers are pissed that no ones watching their ads but it doesn't make sense for Netflix to not let shows complete their stories.

This. Like how does netflix gauge which shows are profitable without ads?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Hmm. It's just interesting to me because whether people are watching or not, they've already prepaid for the show, unless they take merchandise sales as a gauge of popularity.
money can be invested elsewhere on shows that will

1) draw in new viewers/subscribers
2) retain their viewers - it's easy as hell to get netflix for a month, watch a few shows, and cut it off until something else big comes along
3) garner media hype and awards

you don't spend $120M on a show that's doing none of those

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This. Like how does netflix gauge which shows are profitable without ads?
# of viewers/cost of show
If cost per viewer is less than a single subscription and the avg. amount of programming one views in a given time period, it's not profitable. But that's basic, and how you tell if show is profitable or not. But like someone else said on here big companies have all types of analytics they base their strategies on. Shyt can get complicated.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
$120 million though? $120 million...WTF!

No wonder they pulled out of this shyt. Also the show runner seems not interested so there is that. I mean you can't blame him for him wanting to focus on what he wanted to focus on. With that said what else does he do?

Also is this show actually good? I seen Jaden Smith was in it doing gay shyt so I opted not to watch it.