The Lion King (2019) Official Thread

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Donald Glover is so much of a beta human being (which was good for the first part of Simba’s adulthood) that it was hard to take him serious as a king. Should’ve just gave it to Michael B. Jordan and let someone sing for him :yeshrug:

Beyonce was very dry, but that was expected since she can’t act. Her lines were limited though.

Despite that, the movie was dope. Gave you a lot of the same feelings as the OG.

"I see you Scar, sittin up at Pride Rock....Comfortable.....well I found lion claws on my Daddy's chest!!!!!"
Elder: "Who are you?"
Simba: "I am SIMBA....son of Mufasa....rightful heir to the Pride Lands!!!"

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Was kind of disappointed it was basically 1:1 with the original movie. It legit felt like it was shot for shot the same thing.

Beyonce was terrible. I don't understand how they get all this talent and then stick one name in there when it wasn't needed. Her performance was shyt she has not acting talent

Beauty and the Beast was a lot better but this was better than Dumbo at least, that movie was awful

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I suppose I need to watch my words better. Someone asked me last night how it was, and after I said "It was okay. It was fine." it immediately knocked down a few of my friend's expectations, and one person chimed in saying it was better than the animated film (:mjlol:). We live in a world where if you don't say that a film is mind blowing and amazing and it made you cry then that means it's terrible. :skip:

EDIT - Honestly, I probably won't ever watch the live action one again though.

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Donald Glover is so much of a beta human being (which was good for the first part of Simba’s adulthood) that it was hard to take him serious as a king. Should’ve just gave it to Michael B. Jordan and let someone sing for him :yeshrug:

Beyonce was very dry, but that was expected since she can’t act. Her lines were limited though.

Despite that, the movie was dope. Gave you a lot of the same feelings as the OG.
You know these nikkas don't like MBJ no more :mjgrin:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For me, it was the voice performances and the way they did or didn’t animate the CG. When you’re doing a cartoon, you can get the characters to emote. Eyes can move and be expressive and their faces can do a lot. But with the photorealistic CG they used here, there’s no emoting at all. So when mustafa is about to meet his end, he looks kinda cool about the whole thing rather than scared and seeing the horror in the cartoon. So the movie comes off as flat and all the emotion it produces is based on the emotion the other movie produced 20 years ago.

I knew this was going to be the case as soon as I saw those lions. :heh:

But I enjoyed Jungle Book because I wasn’t familiar with the story and they had humans in it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I knew this was going to be the case as soon as I saw those lions. :heh:

But I enjoyed Jungle Book because I wasn’t familiar with the story and they had humans in it.

They also weren’t as realistic in jungle book. The cgi wasn’t on the same level, which is actually a good thing. Plus the voice acting was just better. And like you said, humans. The young cat playing Mowgli did his thing.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
this was a good movie. the opening circle of life scene was amazing and is one of the best cinematography i've ever seen. hard to capture the magic again because lack of range with facial expressions but overall it still had some good scenes. john oliver's voice acting was the best.

dc_minded_2020

Superstar
Daps
I was completely unmoved. A lot of the scenes in the original one that did something to me did absolutely nothing for me this time. Mufassa’s death, especially, was very anti climatic this time.

The voice actors were also not on point. The young Simba was okay, Timon and Pumba stole the show of course. But everyone else was hit or miss.

And Beyoncé is definitely not an actress. She was horrid.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I was completely unmoved. A lot of the scenes in the original one that did something to me did absolutely nothing for me this time. Mufassa’s death, especially, was very anti climatic this time.

The voice actors were also not on point. The young Simba was okay, Timon and Pumba stole the show of course. But everyone else was hit or miss.

And Beyoncé is definitely not an actress. She was horrid.
What did your kids think?